Author Topic: Need an upgrade from Amir  (Read 9774 times)

Re: Need an upgrade from Amir
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:01 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think Danny has to make a Godfather offer for Boogie that the Kings can't refuse. He certainly has the weapons to do it.

In my view, Stevens takes too conservative an approach with the younger players. The exception seems to be Brown, who is getting plenty of touches. Brown isn't hurting them, but it's the softness of those big men surrounding Horford that's the problem. Stevens seems to love Zeller, which probably accounts for his $8 million contract. Zeller can score but is a soft defender. Olynyk isn't back yet, but he's the same type. Amir is supposed to be the D guy, but he hasn't shown up yet.

It's clear Horford isn't enough up front. Mickey deserves a serious look. He has the tools to be a better inside defender than the others. And he can shoot inside the key as well.

I think they are missing Sullinger right now, who brought them toughness and rebounding up front. Though Sully seems to have chronic foot problems.

It's time to dump those Nets picks on the Kings--and whatever else they want--and get Boogie, who got 37/16 last night against the Spurs. Not bad.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I like Amir. His game is underrated. There's a reason why CBS and Ainge went after him.

He is a great team player, makes the right plays, can guard inside or on the perimeter, and passes.

My goodness, it's almost like Celticsblog needs two areas: one for overreaction zone (aka NBA 2k zone) and one for basketball discussion.

Bingo!

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would go with Smart, Amir, the 2017 nets, james young, and the grizzly pick for DMC.
Terrible offer.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Its not just Amir... The Celtics need a better presence in the middle and move Horford to the 4. Yes Amir would move to the bench but Horford cant handle these 7'+ bigs... He is more of a stretch...

Noel will be back in a few weeks and his price is probably at an all time low.. Its a low risk investment even if he moves as a FA...

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I like Amir. His game is underrated. There's a reason why CBS and Ainge went after him.

He is a great team player, makes the right plays, can guard inside or on the perimeter, and passes.

My goodness, it's almost like Celticsblog needs two areas: one for overreaction zone (aka NBA 2k zone) and one for basketball discussion.

Oh, I'm sorry. Because you like Amir, this is not a basketball discussion. he was here all last year also. Again I'm not basing my thoughts on 2 games.
Please explain what makes him a great team player? What are these right plays he makes?
I haven't seen this terrific defense. I do like when he passes, because he can't shot. Do you not believe the Celtics could use an upgrade at center?
I don't mind if you don't agree with me, but to claim that his lack of production is not a basketball issue is incorrect in my opinion.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I would go with Smart, Amir, the 2017 nets, james young, and the grizzly pick for DMC.
Terrible offer.

So what do you want to give up for him? Smart, Rozier, Brown, Both nets picks, and Crowder?
#JKJB

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:44:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm for Favors.

This was a back to back game knew AJ was going to struggle.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:01:52 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Almost feels like a "Horford is not what we expected so we must trade Amir" thread.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:56:10 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Terrible offer.

It depends what other teams can offer with Cousins wanting to sign an extension with what's left after a trade. 

Even look at the Love trade a couple years back.  Cousins is the better player, but Love is still a star.
The 2017 nets pick will most likely be top 3 or 4 roughly the equivalent of Wiggins.  Bennett at that time didn't show anything on an NBA court. At least Rozier has shown some promise.  Add in a lower tier prospect in Young, and a solid player in Johnson, and it's not that far off. Maybe add in that Grizzlies future pick.  You probably wouldn't be able to do this deal until the trade deadline to see exactly where the Nets are at that point. That Nets pick could be gold for us or for a team in a trade.

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Terrible offer.

It depends what other teams can offer with Cousins wanting to sign an extension with what's left after a trade. 

Even look at the Love trade a couple years back.  Cousins is the better player, but Love is still a star.
The 2017 nets pick will most likely be top 3 or 4 roughly the equivalent of Wiggins.  Bennett at that time didn't show anything on an NBA court. At least Rozier has shown some promise.  Add in a lower tier prospect in Young, and a solid player in Johnson, and it's not that far off. Maybe add in that Grizzlies future pick.  You probably wouldn't be able to do this deal until the trade deadline to see exactly where the Nets are at that point. That Nets pick could be gold for us or for a team in a trade.

If the Nets pick becomes the #1 pick after the lottery, THEN it could be considered equal to the Wiggins pick.  But even at the trade deadline, that pick is going to have WAY too much variability to be worth anything near Wiggins at that time.  And right now? It's not even close.

If we want to trade for Cousins without him demanding a trade (the refusal to resign with Minnesota was a major factor in Love's price being what it was), it's  take Brown, the 2017 Nets pick, and the 2018 Nets pick, minimum, and likely much more
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Amir is a terrific big to bring off the bench.  problem is, he's starting for us.  we do need an upgrade, the question is, where can we get one that won't deplete the roster to the point where we've opened up other holes.

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
Amir is a terrific big to bring off the bench.  problem is, he's starting for us.  we do need an upgrade, the question is, where can we get one that won't deplete the roster to the point where we've opened up other holes.

I'm good with Noel if you can get him for a reasonable price.

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 11:02:32 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff

Almost feels like a "Horford is not what we expected so we must trade Amir" thread.

Maybe, but I don't think Horford was billed as a rebounder shot blocker. I'm hoping he plays better as he adjusts, but don't think that changes the fact they need a decent big playing next to him.

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
it does seem concerning that CBS just benched him for zeller. i thought maybe there was an injury or something but i dont see anything about that this AM.
 in a game w a large rebounding difference im worried coach didnt seem to think amir was the guy to goto.

i wonder if they'll need another big guy. KO isnt going to rebound much. Mickey probably isnt the answer.

i guess we'll see.. :)
We need some O so we played Z. AMir will be fine. But we need a rebounder for sure. When KO and Smart come back we need to trade a pick or someone for a rebounder. Maybe we could trade Jackson and a pick to the kings for one of there bigs.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Oh, I'm sorry. Because you like Amir, this is not a basketball discussion. he was here all last year also. Again I'm not basing my thoughts on 2 games.
Please explain what makes him a great team player? What are these right plays he makes?
I haven't seen this terrific defense. I do like when he passes, because he can't shot. Do you not believe the Celtics could use an upgrade at center?
I don't mind if you don't agree with me, but to claim that his lack of production is not a basketball issue is incorrect in my opinion.

Amir's game is not a typical game or box scores. Never has been. His impact is always shown the RPM scores. There is a reason why he starts over Zeller, even though Zeller puts up stats. Because Zeller doesn't do the little things well that Amir does.

He sets great picks that really get defenders stuck on him. He is a really good help defender - not in the traditional shot-blocking role, but in the he's-always-in-the-right-place-to-deter-drivers role. He is a good post defender. He can switch and guard perimeter players in spurts.

He does move the ball well and quickly. He doesn't turn it over. His unselfishness is one of the cogs that make our offense smooth.

I wish he could score more frequently, and get back above 30% from 3, and rebound a bit more consistently, but there is a reason why we got him on a really good contract. He's not an All-star, but he is a good role player.