Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 510134 times)

RMO, Vermont Green, hpantazo, Phantom255x and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Even as made of glass as he is, Hayward’s worth more than a vet min.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2023, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Sixers, James Harden mutually decide on having him sit out 76ers open scrimmage

Keith Pompey: #Sixers coach Nick Nurse on if it was a mutual decision to not have James Harden partake as a player or coach in the Blue X White Scrimmage and be introduced with his teammates: pic.twitter.com/QQAtXU7lqp – via Twitter PompeyOnSixers

Let’s hope he continues to disrupt them, all the way through the season  :angel:

But the plan to add draft-pick swaps in a package for Harden hasn’t moved the needle for the Sixers. They’ve said they’re interested in a package that includes Clippers guard Terance Mann and first-round picks. But the source said Morey knows Mann is untouchable. The Sixers are looking for an All-Star player or assets to acquire for Harden. That’s why draft-pick swaps may not be good enough. And word is that the Sixers don’t expect the picks from the Clippers, who need to stay relevant in a big market, to be that valuable, especially with them being a perennial playoff team. – via Keith Pompey @ The Philadelphia Inquirer

A LAC line up of Harden, Leonard, and George would be pretty good, if they all stay on the court.  Mann is a nice player, but he isn't taking the Clippers anywhere.  This makes no sense that he would be the hold up for a trade.  I get that PHI doesn't want to just give Harden away but he hasn't been all that good the last few seasons, at least not consistently, and with the drama around him, they are not going to get even a Jrue Holiday level deal (2 good players, two firsts).

LAC is going to fall off a cliff soon in any case, why not go all in with Harden and at least go down fighting?
I think it might take a 3rd team to get it done because frankly I'm not sure Mann moves the needle for Philly.  He'd be fine, but he isn't even close to better than Harris and they need that level of player.  Philly needs to send Mann some place and get a guy that would help them more now.  Although I do think Morris and either Covington or Batum would help Philly and they have to be included for salary.  Maybe get Portland involved with Brogdon going to Philly and Mann and Covington going to Portland.  Something like that because I do think Morris and Brogdon for Harden would be a solid trade for the Sixers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
So I somehow missed Harden's comments earlier in the week, but man this guy has definitely become the biggest loser in the NBA, hands down. Can't believe I'm saying it but he's even worse than Ben Simmons now.

But hey, if he wants to cause drama with Philly all season, go ahead! Frankly if a team out there still wants to trade for him then they deserve the ensuing drama. These teams never seem to learn (ex. Kyrie)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2023, 12:03:43 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think Harden's playoff performance and his expiring contract will not garner the type of package Philly wants.  They should just take the picks and a young player or two and move on.  Maxey is a beast and needs those shots.  What a great pick he was for Philly.  It's addition by subtraction at this point.  Someone will get traded this year and the sixers will be in a prime position to pick someone up.  I'd rather Harden stay and they self implode but I don't see that happening.  Nick Nurse is a better coach to handle this then Doc was. 

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2023, 12:34:03 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

Keith Pompey: #Sixers coach Nick Nurse on if it was a mutual decision to not have James Harden partake as a player or coach in the Blue X White Scrimmage and be introduced with his teammates: pic.twitter.com/QQAtXU7lqp – via Twitter PompeyOnSixers

Let’s hope he continues to disrupt them, all the way through the season  :angel:

But the plan to add draft-pick swaps in a package for Harden hasn’t moved the needle for the Sixers. They’ve said they’re interested in a package that includes Clippers guard Terance Mann and first-round picks. But the source said Morey knows Mann is untouchable. The Sixers are looking for an All-Star player or assets to acquire for Harden. That’s why draft-pick swaps may not be good enough. And word is that the Sixers don’t expect the picks from the Clippers, who need to stay relevant in a big market, to be that valuable, especially with them being a perennial playoff team. – via Keith Pompey @ The Philadelphia Inquirer

A LAC line up of Harden, Leonard, and George would be pretty good, if they all stay on the court.  Mann is a nice player, but he isn't taking the Clippers anywhere.  This makes no sense that he would be the hold up for a trade.  I get that PHI doesn't want to just give Harden away but he hasn't been all that good the last few seasons, at least not consistently, and with the drama around him, they are not going to get even a Jrue Holiday level deal (2 good players, two firsts).

LAC is going to fall off a cliff soon in any case, why not go all in with Harden and at least go down fighting?

It's funny, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you here. 

But I am asking myself how I could think this is even possible when we're discussing the guy who led the NBA in assists last season.

Are assists just not as meaningful of a stat any more?

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2023, 12:47:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Harden's demise is exaggerated. He is still a very very good ball player.

The issue with Philly and how important Harden feels to that team is that they are loaded with offense. Harden is still a terrific offensive player but when is not there Philly have excellent replacements for him so his loss is not as keenly felt.

Of course Embiid. But also the emerging Tyrese Maxey. Tobias Harris is a really good 3rd option. Between the three of them, they are more than capable of making up for the loss of Harden's offense when he is not available and keeping Philly in the upper tier competitive wise.

Put Harden on a different team with less offense and when he is hurt / missing in action and that team will fall apart without him.

It is not about Harden. It is not about his decline. It is about the quality of his teammates in Philadelphia. Those guys are not being given their due. That is why they are able to still play at such a high level without him.

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Philly was 39-19 with Harden and 15-9 without him last year.  They were 43-23 with Embiid and 11-5 without him.  So only slightly different.  Harden is one of the best passers in the sport and can still score at an elite level.  He just can't be a #1 offensive option any more and can't score every night.

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2023, 02:40:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

But I am asking myself how I could think this is even possible when we're discussing the guy who led the NBA in assists last season.

I should have said not all that good relative to his MVP caliber play earlier in his career.  He is still a good player, inconsistent though.  He carried the Sixers to a win over the Celtics without Embiid and was great, then wasn't that great for several games.  He probably doesn't have the value of Holiday, much less someone like Mitchell.  MEM gave up 2 firsts and a useful player for Smart.  I think PHI would be happy with that.  That isn't saying he is bad, but he hasn't been that great the last couple of season.

As to assists, you don't want to get me started.  But I will say that Rondo got a lot of assists.  Pounding the ball until you find either a shot or a wide open player is not the best thing for team offense.  It is better if the shot comes after a few passes, not just one pass.  Harden is a good passer, he can attract attention and deliver the ball.  But to rack up that number of assists, you need to dominate the ball.  Dominating the ball has a downside.  Not all assists are created equal.

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I should have said not all that good relative to his MVP caliber play earlier in his career.  He is still a good player, inconsistent though.  He carried the Sixers to a win over the Celtics without Embiid and was great, then wasn't that great for several games.  He probably doesn't have the value of Holiday, much less someone like Mitchell.  MEM gave up 2 firsts and a useful player for Smart.  I think PHI would be happy with that.  That isn't saying he is bad, but he hasn't been that great the last couple of season.

As to assists, you don't want to get me started.  But I will say that Rondo got a lot of assists.  Pounding the ball until you find either a shot or a wide open player is not the best thing for team offense.  It is better if the shot comes after a few passes, not just one pass.  Harden is a good passer, he can attract attention and deliver the ball.  But to rack up that number of assists, you need to dominate the ball.  Dominating the ball has a downside.  Not all assists are created equal.
Harden won't get that kind of return because he is an old guy on a large expiring contract that has caused issues off the floor on basically every team he has been on.  Not because of skill, but the other things.

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2023, 08:09:03 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Harden quits when it gets tough. How can you go to battle with a guy like that?

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2023, 07:09:46 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 416
Just glad Harden never wore green & white jersey
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2023, 08:22:47 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Harden won't get that kind of return because he is an old guy on a large expiring contract that has caused issues off the floor on basically every team he has been on.  Not because of skill, but the other things.

I think it is all of the above, including the drop off in his skill.  I think a big issue is that his style of play dictates how the whole team has to play.  I thought he made a real conscience effort to defer to Embiid when he got to PHI, that is part of why his assists were up relative to his time in Houston.  But he is still very ball dominant.

Attitude or commitment does seem to be an issue.  He seemed all in when he got traded to PHI, at least on the court, but off the court, you wondered about his preparation.  He always seemed to be nursing an injury, which maybe could have been prevented or minimized with better off season or in season physical preparation.

But I do not think that Harden is an MVP level player any more.  I don't know what number or ranking he would be but it is down considerably from say 3-4 years ago.  I am sure that if he gets to LAC, he will continue to play the facilitator, to make the effort to get the ball to Leonard and George.  And he will be good at that.  But what is there that would make you think things will be any better for him or the team than what happened in BKN or PHI?  I predict that he will still produce numbers inflated by ball dominance, that he will have flashes of MVP level play, but that for the most part, he will play like a pretty good #2 like in PHI, and the team won't be all that much better.

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

I tend to agree but haven’t we seen flashes of the same from Tatum and Brown?
Yup

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2023, 09:39:54 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I tend to agree but haven’t we seen flashes of the same from Tatum and Brown?

I would say quitting is a little different than missing shots or just not quite being able to finish.

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2023, 06:00:59 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 416
Former first round pick Josh Jackson being accuse of rape & batttery…don’t know if it’s true or not but when will these players learn?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin