Author Topic: Anyone know a good adoption agency?  (Read 3288 times)

Anyone know a good adoption agency?
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
My wife and I are looking into adopting a child and trying to find a good adoption agency. Has anyone worked with an adoption agency that they would recommend? 

It might seem odd asking this question on a basketball board but I've enjoyed the community of people here and I know you will always get an honest opinion here. Frankly there just isn't enough information for people looking to adopt to be directed in the correct direction so that's why I'm posting this on here in the hopes someone has some helpful information.

Thanks.

Re: Anyone know a good adoption agency?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:06:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
All I can say is having attempted to adopt myself (in Ohio) having the right agency is incredibly important.  It is worth paying more if the placement rates are higher.  You can get stuck in a bad financial situation pretty easily if you pick the wrong one.  Sorry I can't help you there, but you can probably find much of the statistics online.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My wife and I are looking into adopting a child and trying to find a good adoption agency. Has anyone worked with an adoption agency that they would recommend? 

It might seem odd asking this question on a basketball board but I've enjoyed the community of people here and I know you will always get an honest opinion here. Frankly there just isn't enough information for people looking to adopt to be directed in the correct direction so that's why I'm posting this on here in the hopes someone has some helpful information.

Thanks.

I'm not at all familiar with the process, but this would be a local thing, no?

I mean, suppose there are other avenues, such as adopting foreign children.  But I might start with asking your local child services department or one of the local churches.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Thanks.

I mean, suppose there are other avenues, such as adopting foreign children.  But I might start with asking your local child services department or one of the local churches.

We went through the process of adopting foreign children. It was pure hell. Guatemala was shut down while we are looking at it. Most of the Russian republics were non-starters. After three years dealing with China, we were no closer to an answer. It was a nightmare.

We ended up doing surrogacy internationally. We went through India which, to the best of my knowledge, no longer allows it. You may want to look into domestic surrogacy, though. It's expensive and governed by state laws (i.e., 50 different laws), but it also has at least some genetic attachment.

TF, good luck. it's a long, frustrating journey, but the end product is worth it.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Thanks.

We went through the process of adopting foreign children. It was pure hell. Guatemala was shut down while we are looking at it. Most of the Russian republics were non-starters. After three years dealing with China, we were no closer to an answer. It was a nightmare.

We ended up doing surrogacy internationally. We went through India which, to the best of my knowledge, no longer allows it. You may want to look into domestic surrogacy, though. It's expensive and governed by state laws (i.e., 50 different laws), but it also has at least some genetic attachment.

TF, good luck. it's a long, frustrating journey, but the end product is worth it.

Mike
one domestic option that may be of interest is interracial adoption. my friends did so and found the waiting time to be far less for them. here is the book the published on about it. it is well written and both of the parents are academics.

https://www.amazon.com/Interracial-Adoption-Option-Creating-Family/dp/1849059306

oh, and the kids are great people.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
All I can say is having attempted to adopt myself (in Ohio) having the right agency is incredibly important.  It is worth paying more if the placement rates are higher.  You can get stuck in a bad financial situation pretty easily if you pick the wrong one.  Sorry I can't help you there, but you can probably find much of the statistics online.
Thank you for sharing your story.

The rates I'm seeing are between 30-50 for a domestic child. It's a scary thing to commit so much money to an agency that you have so little information on.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Thanks.

Mike
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on having it work out. It seems like I was too late in the game to do international. A lot of the international adoption is no longer around or trustworthy. I've read stories about Adoptive parents being sent to Russia to meet the adopted child and finding out the child has all kinds of health problems. It would probably break my heart and I would have to take that child in if it happened to me so I decided to not venture into international adoption and just stay away from a situation like that.

Looked into embryo donation with surrogacy but surprisingly not very many people donate their embryos even tho there are millions frozen. It was going to cost 100k.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Thanks.

Mike
one domestic option that may be of interest is interracial adoption. my friends did so and found the waiting time to be far less for them. here is the book the published on about it. it is well written and both of the parents are academics.

https://www.amazon.com/Interracial-Adoption-Option-Creating-Family/dp/1849059306

oh, and the kids are great people.
Thank you for this. It's actually what my wife and I are listing as our first choice. All children are blessings.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If anyone is interested in caring for a 32 year old man that acts like a child, feel free to PM me. Mediocre with chores but love the Celts, read well above my grade level, and willing to negotiate allowance.

TP to you, Truefan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:10:07 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Thank you for this. It's actually what my wife and I are listing as our first choice. All children are blessings.
Unfortunately no advice I could offer :( but wanted to stop by to give you a quick thumbs up. You're a good man.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I can't help you unfortunately, but I just wanted to wish you and your wife the best of luck in this.  TP for opening your home's and hearts to someone in need!

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
You can try fostering with an openness/intent to adopt. Can be heartbreaking (ie you get attached then a baby/child goes back to bio family), but can be lifechanging for all involved. Tends to be more affordable, I believe.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Thank you for the nice comments guys.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If anyone is interested in caring for a 32 year old man that acts like a child, feel free to PM me. Mediocre with chores but love the Celts, read well above my grade level, and willing to negotiate allowance.

TP to you, Truefan.
i'll consider it

Do you play 2k?

That's a make or break detail
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
You can try fostering with an openness/intent to adopt. Can be heartbreaking (ie you get attached then a baby/child goes back to bio family), but can be lifechanging for all involved. Tends to be more affordable, I believe.
I considered this but for the reasons you described it would be too difficult on my wife to lose a child she was fostering. Ultimately it's what's best for the child so I understand they want to place the child back with his family eventually whick makes it a tough situation. It may be something I look back into after the adoption.