Author Topic: Anybody else" Not liking new NBA"?  (Read 3406 times)

Re: Anybody else" Not liking new NBA"?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this is the worst era of basketball - it's not even close.

the passing up lay ups for a 3 offense has ruined everything. it's made good and potentially good players lazy.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
this is the worst era of basketball - it's not even close.

the passing up lay ups for a 3 offense has ruined everything. it's made good and potentially good players lazy.

There's no doubt that there are instances where players pass up layups, but the statistics suggest that it's not very significant in the grand scheme of things.  The 3 or 4 instances over the course of a game makes things seem worse than they really are.

Let's take a look at 2018-19 compared to the 2000-2001 season.

% FGA within 0-3 feet
2000-2001 - .273
2018-2019 - .292

The numbers for each season fluctuate between 27-29 %.  We have seen the largest drop-off between 10-16 feet and 16-23.  This goes right along with the league emphasis on avoiding mid-range jumpers.  These attempts are being replaced by threes.  Layups have not been affected by the 3 point emphasis.

I still think the league should test out the elimination of the corner three.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The court should be widened.

The players have gotten bigger and faster and need more room.

I think this is a great idea and fixes a couple of problems and will never happen because it means losing some courtside seats. Which sucks because it would definitely help the game. I don't have a problem with a lot of three's (and I think it's helped the game as described below) but I do think the corner 3 has become this weird inequality that has nothing to do with basketball and only with court design. Widening the court gets rid of that while also giving players a wider lane to the rim, encouraging more driving.

But I liked the game in the 1990s much less. So many possessions were about dumping the ball into the post, then pound, pound, pound the ball as you back the defender down and shoot. No flow, four guys standing around. And the 90s went beyond hand-checking into outright mugging. Watching slow, low-skilled players ride and shove quicker players with better handles and drag them down to their level. Yuck. I did stop watching for about ten years.

TP
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
There are no rivalries because it's all a big club and not a competitive league. At the end of the game they all kiss and exchange jerseys. Red would go crazy if he saw the NBA today.

What the final goal is is anyone's guess. 

The officiating is horrendous. The NBA needs to train the refs in the offseason. At present, the calls are mostly just a guess.

Each coach needs a designated amount of challenges, to then be reviewed on playback to overturn a poor call that effects the game. 

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
There are no rivalries because it's all a big club and not a competitive league. At the end of the game they all kiss and exchange jerseys. Red would go crazy if he saw the NBA today.

What the final goal is is anyone's guess. 

The officiating is horrendous. The NBA needs to train the refs in the offseason. At present, the calls are mostly just a guess.

Each coach needs a designated amount of challenges, to then be reviewed on playback to overturn a poor call that effects the game.

This isn't remotely accurate. Just this season we've seen more scuffles than we've had in years because teams get so heated playing one another.

And the league-wide club atmosphere is not a new thing. Players always hung out with players from other teams. Jordan and Barkley were friends. Magic and Isiah Thomas kissed each other on the court before a game.

This is a lot of "in my day we walked to school up hill, both ways" nonsense.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
There are no rivalries because it's all a big club and not a competitive league. At the end of the game they all kiss and exchange jerseys.

Think the league should cut back on a few teams? I know it's never gonna happen.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Lots of good ideas in this thread.

IMO the number one problem right now is the officiating.  It SUCKS

They have lost the art of the no-call.  The game against the Heat was much better ref wise than game against Indiana, because they let more incidental contact go, which any ref who calls himself a professional should be good at.

The modern NBA ref must get better at not calling incidental contact, and this especially true with the new no-touch rules.  If you add these new rules about putting hands on the defender, and then you also blow the whistle with incidental contact, then you quickly have an unwatchable product. 

They also must learn not to bail out an out of control offensive player who falls down or just otherwise barrels in wildly. 

The flow of a basketball game depends on the refs.  I don't think today's NBA refs realize that to a great enough extent.  Their heads are up their butts micromanaging every bit of contact. 

Refs also must allow loose ball scrums to continue longer.  They are ending free for all scrums with unnecessary whistles and randomly choosing someone to call a foul on.  Once the ball is loose and players are batting it around and trying to corral it, let the play play out.  IT's as if they're afraid a fight might break out, which is ridiculous, fearful mamby pamby officiating. 

A good ref should not guess.  A ref must see/hear the actual contact and have it be clear who initiated that contact...then he can blow the whistle.  Guessing leads to phantom calls, which is worse than a no-call when there was a foul.  Both are bad but the phantom call is worse as it stops the game in a game already full of stoppages. 

The suggestions I like are:

-change the 3 second violation to 5 seconds
-penalize deliberate fouls per Van Gundy
-widen the court just a very small amount, enough so that the corner three is 6 inches further out (or some such adjustment to make the arc more uniform.

I liked the idea of eliminating the corner three too, although there is something pleasing about threes from that angle, so if the court were just a bit wider they could keep it but make it more difficult. 

How about giving players a 7th foul?  Seems fair in order to balance out all the ticky tack fouls...and allow a bit more hard nosed play. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:19:32 PM by wiley »

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If the entire league ever follows the Houston Rockets, we're doomed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071269

Harden, Rivers, Tucker, Green:
20/42 (3PT)
1/4 (2PT)

That's just awful to watch and makes me root for Houston to lose.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If the entire league ever follows the Houston Rockets, we're doomed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071269

Harden, Rivers, Tucker, Green:
20/42 (3PT)
1/4 (2PT)

That's just awful to watch and makes me root for Houston to lose.

The problem is, even if you can contest and guard Harden, it won't matter... He's been hitting contested pull up 3's at a high rate. Why go in for the lesser efficient mid range shot, or go into the lane, if you can nail the 3?

But I do agree, although the Celtics have certainly been trending that way.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »

Kiorrik

I'd like to see if injury numbers are down from the pre-MJ days.

That's probably the most important statistic for everyone involved, yet I hardly ever see it talked about.

Kinda assume so because of the limiting of the defense, and other ways the NBA has protected player during movement.

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 04:37:22 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I don’t like today’s NBA as much.  There seems to be a laziness around the league.  To many 3s.  Passing up on layups for a 3 makes me sick

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 04:50:50 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Fouls get called too quickly imo. It’s just hard to play defense or even make opposing teams uncomfortable. There’s no “locking down” a team anymore.

As I say that though, it’s noteworthy that our team still does NOT get to the line very often. Sad to say, we need guys to flail more and not try to outmaneuver their way out of trouble.
- LilRip

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't like it either.

They've handcuffed defenses with the rule changes.

Made players without the 3-ball almost unplayable.

Relegated most Big-men to defensive garbage men.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'd like to see if injury numbers are down from the pre-MJ days.

That's probably the most important statistic for everyone involved, yet I hardly ever see it talked about.

Kinda assume so because of the limiting of the defense, and other ways the NBA has protected player during movement.
Actually it would not surprise me if the injury numbers are up.  Players push themselves ever harder and take more risks with their bodies on the offensive end.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I don't like it either.

They've handcuffed defenses with the rule changes.

Made players without the 3-ball almost unplayable.

Relegated most Big-men to defensive garbage men.

yes
i miss when there were more mid-range shots and post-ups