Author Topic: Anybody else" Not liking new NBA"?  (Read 3407 times)

Anybody else" Not liking new NBA"?
« on: January 12, 2019, 05:23:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The direction of the NBA limiting physicality on defense with the number of screens favors offense,the number of three point shots taking away inside game.Lack of real rivalries and team identities with the number of free agent signings and huge salaries.Too many games adding to injuries .The three ring circus atmosphere at games.

Re: Anybody else" Not liking new NBA"?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:30:10 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
i'm not a huge fan of the new rules
it's a big reason why i also watch summer big 3 basketball with hand-checking

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 06:09:40 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't like the amount of 3s being taken, but I think that's a natural evolution.  I wish the refs allowed more physical defense.  My biggest pet peeve is the music and "defense" chants the arenas play during the game.  I don't care what they play while the game play is stopped, but all the noise during play should come from the crowd.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, I really dislike it. Can't stand watching most games. I only watch the C's, and talents around the league that I love to watch, like Davis, Doncic and Steven Adams. I'd rather watch the local NBL or European ball than most NBA, as the talent levels are increasing steadily
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
It's been annoying me for a few years. I watch less and less with each passing season.

They need to (1) move back the three point (2) enforce ball-handling violations because ball-handlers already have enough advantages with how little contact is allowed nowadays.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I don't like the amount of 3s being taken, but I think that's a natural evolution.  I wish the refs allowed more physical defense.  My biggest pet peeve is the music and "defense" chants the arenas play during the game.  I don't care what they play while the game play is stopped, but all the noise during play should come from the crowd.

It's not a natural evolution. It's what Adam Silver and co. have forced the league to become by manipulating the rules to promote scoring and speed up the game for 'entertainment' purposes. I for one miss the more physical NBA game with more post ups and inside scoring. One of these days the game will change again, the current version is a manufactured fad. Hopefully it will change for the best.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
rollie, as ever, makes good points. i find the nba game to be unwatchable - aside from the celtics. i prefer to watch college basketball.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:08 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The court should be widened.

The players have gotten bigger and faster and need more room.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just think it is too bad that players who can create for themselves or have masterful post-up games are less important (or less important than they used to be) than guys who can just shoot from outside. And, if the players who can do the former are even decent shooters, they just become relegated to throwing up the 3 ball rather than what they are good at.

I have mentioned this before, but I feel that pick-up basketball is basically ruined nowadays, too, with lesser players just jacking up 3s (because they are worth 2) while the guys who can actually play aren't even allowed to do what they do well because their best shot is only worth 1. The 1s and 2s method of pick-up ball needs to go!

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don’t mind it.  I think it’s entertaining, but I think it could be improved.  Maybe a happy medium between 80s basketball that was fun to watch, and 90s basketball that was brutal at times with the Miami NY 80 to 70 games.  That is why I’m very hesitant to allow hand checking again, because for me that was tough to watch.  Ball movement of teams seems so much better now than it has been in years.

One idea I thought of that could balance low post scoring with outside shooting, is changing the 3 second rule in the paint.  Maybe make it 5, or even experiment with no rule for limitations in the paint and see how it looks.  Maybe it would bring back some low post scoring.

Another idea which will probably never happen is expand the court sideways so there is more room for the corner 3, and maybe then you can think of expanding the 3 point line. Of course courts would have to be changed everywhere so it’s very unlikely to ever happen.

I will say it’s not all just 3 point shooting,  watching Irving dance around on the way to the hoop, and players like Giannis are fun to watch.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Today’s game isn’t perfect.

But I liked the game in the 1990s much less. So many possessions were about dumping the ball into the post, then pound, pound, pound the ball as you back the defender down and shoot. No flow, four guys standing around. And the 90s went beyond hand-checking into outright mugging. Watching slow, low-skilled players ride and shove quicker players with better handles and drag them down to their level. Yuck. I did stop watching for about ten years.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The rapid change in style is an equal combination of natural evolution and unnecessary rule changes.  The "freedom of movement" rules shouldn't have been implemented IMO.  If anything, it diminishes the value of players who are capable of fighting through contact to get open.  The league has minimized the negatives that come along with being a finesse player on offense. 

The three point attempts don't really bother me, mainly because the overall ball movement has improved dramatically over the past 5+ years.  That being said, I would LOVE if the NBA eliminated the corner three.  They should extend the arc all the way to the sideline.  This would place a premium on interior scorers and diminish the value of the 5 out offense.   

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The rapid change in style is an equal combination of natural evolution and unnecessary rule changes.  The "freedom of movement" rules shouldn't have been implemented IMO.  If anything, it diminishes the value of players who are capable of fighting through contact to get open.  The league has minimized the negatives that come along with being a finesse player on offense. 

The three point attempts don't really bother me, mainly because the overall ball movement has improved dramatically over the past 5+ years.  That being said, I would LOVE if the NBA eliminated the corner three.  They should extend the arc all the way to the sideline.  This would place a premium on interior scorers and diminish the value of the 5 out offense.   
This would be a super interesting idea. Would love to see this tested out in Summer League / preseason and see how it goes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

This would be a super interesting idea. Would love to see this tested out in Summer League / preseason and see how it goes

It's definitely worth a trial run.  The major concern is that it could interfere with recent improvements in ball movement, but we can't make any conclusions until they try it.  I'd assume defenses would really focus on crowding the new arc, which means that interior scorers would be needed to counter the perimeter defense.   

It feels like the corner three has become a cheap shot that the majority of the league is capable of making.  You need to be a really good shooter to consistently make threes from the top of the arc. 

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Make the 3 point line worth 3 points only the last 2 minutes of each quarter; 2 points the other 10. Will encourage more inside play.

Any intentional foul: 2 foul shots and maintain possession. End of games are brutal to watch when the whistle blows every 5 seconds. Plus JVG problem of guys intentionally fouled to prevent fast break would stop.

Eliminate defensive 3 seconds rule during last 2 min of each quarter if not the entire game.  Will give defensive bigs more value. 3 point shot has rendered it unnecessary.