Author Topic: perry jones 111  (Read 8922 times)

Re: perry jones 111
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
my son played at high level and most of the bigs were quite shy and wouldn't really bang -and i could see the result of being to big and strong and afraid to use that, as it would be like bullying,then others just wanted to hide from attention off the court, they were socially awkward-
my daughter used to cry about being too tall at six foot-called herself genetic misfit and my son athlete of year in school got bullied because had slight frame-he wound up 6-5 point guard--when i called rollie massamino 50yrs from playing for him -he said i remember you the skinny kid that was all over the court-thanks rollie
-i just can't believe the hits to the floor these guys take ,it really hurts when your skinny with no padding,  everything clanks when your thin-marcus with his physique still wears body armor
so over at okc they talked about lack of aggression and on and off motor-well sitting on bench for few years will do that -feeling a failure at the sport taiiored for you-and i remember going to washington as teenager and going to a bowling alley that was all black and being stared at funny-well i can imagine 6-11 going off to baylor would be quite daunting -noplace to hide-accept the courts

Rollie -

Thanks for sharing that personal experience. It was a nice contribution to the conversation.

Best,
CB

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
my son played at high level and most of the bigs were quite shy and wouldn't really bang -and i could see the result of being to big and strong and afraid to use that, as it would be like bullying,then others just wanted to hide from attention off the court, they were socially awkward-
my daughter used to cry about being too tall at six foot-called herself genetic misfit and my son athlete of year in school got bullied because had slight frame-he wound up 6-5 point guard--when i called rollie massamino 50yrs from playing for him -he said i remember you the skinny kid that was all over the court-thanks rollie
-i just can't believe the hits to the floor these guys take ,it really hurts when your skinny with no padding,  everything clanks when your thin-marcus with his physique still wears body armor
so over at okc they talked about lack of aggression and on and off motor-well sitting on bench for few years will do that -feeling a failure at the sport taiiored for you-and i remember going to washington as teenager and going to a bowling alley that was all black and being stared at funny-well i can imagine 6-11 going off to baylor would be quite daunting -noplace to hide-accept the courts

Rollie -

Thanks for sharing that personal experience. It was a nice contribution to the conversation.

Best,
CB

I agree and TP for sharing. 

Interesting points about the big bodies.  I went to one Summer League game while I was in Vegas...the one against Portland.  One thing that stood out in my view of both Holmes and Mickey is that neither is physically imposing.  Mickey had some nice blocks and Holmes shot fairly well.  Yet, neither is an intimidating presence.  And, Mickey looked rather frail against Portland's big man(?)  I came away with the impression that neither one would do much on the boards and/or be an intimidating factor in the middle. 
FWIW:  The game was so boring that I decided that I couldn't take another game. To make matters worse I kept saying to myself, "why is Smart playing so much?  aren't they worried he might get hurt?"  Sure enough....

Other notes on the game....Tim Frazier, Rozier's former high school teammate looked pretty good.  He has a high basketball IQ and can penetrate.  I hope he catches on with the Blazers. 

Some comments on Rozier not being able to finish at the rim. Part of the problem may be his lack of strength.  He is rather slight physically.  On defense he can't hold his position against most of these players and he's not strong enough to finish at the hoop. 

One player who did impress me with his drive to the hoop was Washinton's pick, Oubre. (I saw a good part of the Washington game.) He plays VERY tall and wreaks havoc when in the lane.  He has the physique of a top five draft pick when he drives.  His shooting wasn't all that great.  But, he makes things happen.  It's possible Danny may end up regretting not trading up to get him.  I didn't watch any other games during the week.  Thus, most posters on CB probably have a better handle on him that I.   

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 11:49:12 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i really like the pick up. without a real star (except perhaps, Marcus Smart) on our roster, DA's best strat is to hope he finds a diamond in the rough.
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 01:06:33 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Isolated from the current roster I love this trade and really like Jones' potential fit in Stevens system. His versatility can be put on full display in BS's system.

His athleticism is absolutely elite. Where vertical leap can be a bit misleading due to variation in standing reach the max vert reach is a pure measurable. Jones III measured in at 12'-1.5" good for 30th all time on draft expresses records. Compared to current Cs Zeller 11'-6.5", Sully 11'-4.5", Mickey 11'-11.5", KO 11'-5". 

Looking at the current roster is is obviously going to be hard to figure out a big man rotation and get minutes to everyone. Both Jerebko and Jones have the ability to play some big 3 but I doubt that is an ideal situation with the nature of todays small ball loving NBA.

What I hope happens is DA is able to make a consolidation trade that eliminates at least one big from the rotation. I think Sully is the likely candidate. That would leave Lee, Amir,Zeller and KO as the 4 man rotation. Out of that group Lee (age) and Johnson (injury history) are both likely to average less them 30mpg and miss some games, neither KO or Zeller appear to be 30+ mpg guys though I think Zeller could be. That should leave minutes for Jerebko and Jones to fight over not to mention the occasional SF time.

there is absolutely no way i believe that Sully can get his body up enough for his max vert reach to be almost 11.5 feet. none.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 08:58:49 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Isolated from the current roster I love this trade and really like Jones' potential fit in Stevens system. His versatility can be put on full display in BS's system.

His athleticism is absolutely elite. Where vertical leap can be a bit misleading due to variation in standing reach the max vert reach is a pure measurable. Jones III measured in at 12'-1.5" good for 30th all time on draft expresses records. Compared to current Cs Zeller 11'-6.5", Sully 11'-4.5", Mickey 11'-11.5", KO 11'-5". 

Looking at the current roster is is obviously going to be hard to figure out a big man rotation and get minutes to everyone. Both Jerebko and Jones have the ability to play some big 3 but I doubt that is an ideal situation with the nature of todays small ball loving NBA.

What I hope happens is DA is able to make a consolidation trade that eliminates at least one big from the rotation. I think Sully is the likely candidate. That would leave Lee, Amir,Zeller and KO as the 4 man rotation. Out of that group Lee (age) and Johnson (injury history) are both likely to average less them 30mpg and miss some games, neither KO or Zeller appear to be 30+ mpg guys though I think Zeller could be. That should leave minutes for Jerebko and Jones to fight over not to mention the occasional SF time.

there is absolutely no way i believe that Sully can get his body up enough for his max vert reach to be almost 11.5 feet. none.

He had trimmed down and trained for the combine...