Author Topic: [LA Times] Boston explored trading picks + Smart for Noel + 3rd, Philly declined  (Read 25218 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
That's just a disrespectful offer. Ainge is trying to erase his mistake in drafting Banks 2.0 last year by dealing him to one of the smartest front offices in the league. No one will take him for outside of a late 1st. The Celtics messed up bad in picking him over Randle.

If your version of erasing a mistake is to ask for a the moon in a trade, then sure... I'm with you. O.o

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
There is some sense in swapping Smart for Noel for both teams. Philly has a glut of frontcourt players, and we could use a defensive big. I'd say both are about as good as each other in terms of being prospects.

Obviously the deal stops making sense for Philly once we start asking for the #3 pick.

Great words from a great man

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
just my thought I would explore Smart and 28 for Noel..

Philly:  We will give you Noel for Smart and #16
Danny: Noel and #3 for Smart, #16, #28

(or something like that and conversation ends)

VermontGreen:  OK guys, lets compromise here, how about:

Smart, BKN-2016, #28
for
Noel and #3

I don't think these guys are that far apart but I am not sure Danny would be all that hot on Noel.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
We have the dumbest fans.

For sale: thinking cap.  Never worn.

I'd thought LA takes that title

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
There is some sense in swapping Smart for Noel for both teams. Philly has a glut of frontcourt players, and we could use a defensive big. I'd say both are about as good as each other in terms of being prospects.

Obviously the deal stops making sense for Philly once we start asking for the #3 pick.

To me this trade wouldn't make sense for the 76ers at all.  Where is the front court glut you talk about?  Embiid is a HUGE question mark to play at all this year and can't be counted on and Saric can't come over for at least another year.  If they trade Noel they are really lacking quality bigs.  They can stay at 3 and grab Russell who by most people is thought to be better than Smart.  So why make the trade?  The answer is the 76ers wouldn't do it... 

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This reports wreaks of Ainge.  He's trying to let everyone know how high Smart's price tag is. 

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
just my thought I would explore Smart and 28 for Noel..

Philly:  We will give you Noel for Smart and #16
Danny: Noel and #3 for Smart, #16, #28

(or something like that and conversation ends)

VermontGreen:  OK guys, lets compromise here, how about:

Smart, BKN-2016, #28
for
Noel and #3

I don't think these guys are that far apart but I am not sure Danny would be all that hot on Noel.
Sam Hinkie is only interested in potential stars so he is not trading 3 for anything that we have when he can just stay there and get a potential star. The trade has to be confined to Noel, Smart, and high quality picks. Something like Smart and 2016 Brooklyn for Noel might work, though it is expensive for us. The other way is to trade to Charlotte at 9 or Detroit at 8 and then trade that pick with Smart for Noel, also very expensive for us. Any trade for Noel is going to be painful, as it should be, and I believe that 3 is only available to either MIN or LAL.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Somewhere LarBrd33 is pumping his fists in the air vigorously.

I think if Ainge managed to trade Smart + 16 + 28 for Noel + #3, he might actually be charged and convicted with grand larceny.

Danny is a man after my own heart... offering Smart + #16 + #28 for Noel... but then having the gall to also ask for #3.   Love that dude.  HOpe he pulls something off this summer.  Keep blasting people with ridiculous offers and maybe someone will actually go for it.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If Noel would end up in Boston he would lead the Noel is just a skinny 1 way overrated player talk.

If Noel ended up in Boston, I'd be like Ebenezer Scrooge on Christmas morning.   

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Danny is a man after my own heart... offering Smart + #16 + #28 for Noel... but then having the gall to also ask for #3.   Love that dude.  HOpe he pulls something off this summer.  Keep blasting people with ridiculous offers and maybe someone will actually go for it.

Maybe, just maybe, the price tag for an inept offensive player with injury history isn't as high across the league as the Sixers contingent, including the resident Celtics blog member who masquerades as a Celtics fan, believes.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I think if Ainge managed to trade Smart + 16 + 28 for Noel + #3, he might actually be charged and convicted with grand larceny.

I hope this offer was real, because if it was, Danny truly is as mad as we all think he is. All it takes is one team to bite though...
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

To me this trade wouldn't make sense for the 76ers at all.  Where is the front court glut you talk about?  Embiid is a HUGE question mark to play at all this year and can't be counted on and Saric can't come over for at least another year.  If they trade Noel they are really lacking quality bigs.  They can stay at 3 and grab Russell who by most people is thought to be better than Smart.  So why make the trade?  The answer is the 76ers wouldn't do it...

Who can play this year is irrelevant for the 76ers. They are looking to set up a team for the future and they currently have two players to potentially man the starting center role, plus Saric who would play PF. Cashing in one of them in for a guard allows them the flexibility to draft either Okafor or the Latvian big should they fall to them instead of being torn between BPA and need.

Great words from a great man

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
That's just a disrespectful offer. Ainge is trying to erase his mistake in drafting Banks 2.0 last year by dealing him to one of the smartest front offices in the league. No one will take him for outside of a late 1st. The Celtics messed up bad in picking him over Randle.

You should have a show on WEEI.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
This reports wreaks of Ainge.  He's trying to let everyone know how high Smart's price tag is.

Bingo.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Maybe, just maybe, the price tag for an inept offensive player with injury history isn't as high across the league as the Sixers contingent, including the resident Celtics blog member who masquerades as a Celtics fan, believes.
You got me Eddie... I've been participating in this forum for 11 years + another 5+ on the old ESPN forums... just pretending to be a Celtic fan... biding my time and waiting...  constantly telling myself, "There's a couple little 5 year old kids named Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel that I adore...  can't wait so I can hype them up pre-draft... beg for the celtics to trade for them... then watch as they land on the 76ers and reveal that all-along I was actually a 76er fans... muahahahah... EEeeevviil" 

LarBrd33 isn't a 76ers fan.    Maybe Sam Hinkie is a LarBrd33 fan, though.