Author Topic: 2015 Clippers Pick  (Read 9718 times)

2015 Clippers Pick
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Soooo... I want to first say that Ainge is a G. How you get an unprotected first from any team for a coach in this climate is beyond me.

I see most of the trade proposals on this board and many of them include the 2015 unprotected Clippers pick in them as if it's nothing more then a second round pick.

Now I know that it's pretty likely this pick will be in the high 20s but it's far from a given. In fact it's realistic it could be a lottery pick next year. It's not unfeasible and here's why:

Next season in my estimation all but two western teams have a chance at the playoffs next year - jazz and kings. The rest of the west is wildly competitive. NO has a budding franchise caliber superstar in Davis and they have talented pieces around him that can be moved to construct a very very good roster. Minny is in win at all cost mode with Love. Denver gets gallinari and McGee back next year. The lakers are the lakers and have a lottery pick and tons of cap space. Dallas will retain dirk for less money and pick up another player. Memphis will still be around. Phoenix will be better and the rest of the west is already elite.

The clippers have 20 losses currently and 9th place Memphis has 23. Ninth place means lottery.

The clippers have very little flexibility to improve next season. Their core group outside Deandre all has a history of injury. One or two inconvenient injuries and a little bad luck and they could be that 9th place team.

That's why, to me, Ainge can't just move this pick in any deal bc it's unprotected. You just never know. Look at the Knicks this year. 2nd best eastern record last year. This year Denver owns their pick, it's unprotected, and on its way to being top ten in a loaded draft.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: 2015 Clippers Pick
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good point. I had actually forgotten about the Clippers pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
it's a CP3 injury away from a guaranteed lottery pick, and it's not like CP3 hasn't had a history of injuries before. Also, you never know which players will be in the draft next year. It's still possible that Parker and Emblid stay another year and end up in next year's draft.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
The west is amazing right now. Memphis was in the WCF last year and might miss the playoffs. It's not bc they suck like the Knicks either. They just beat the clippers last night.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
it's a CP3 injury away from a guaranteed lottery pick, and it's not like CP3 hasn't had a history of injuries before. Also, you never know which players will be in the draft next year. It's still possible that Parker and Emblid stay another year and end up in next year's draft.

Well hypothetically if the clips were lottery next year that pick should still be in the 10-14 range.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I see most of the trade proposals on this board and many of them include the 2015 unprotected Clippers pick in them as if it's nothing more then a second round pick.

Many trade proposals recognize the fact that opposing GMs will insist on a first round pick from the Celtics in certain types of deals.  It's a matter of which pick you value more, the 2015 Clippers pick or the 2014 Nets/Hawks pick.

Ideally, there would be some sort of protection if the pick is used in a deal, possibly involving the other team receiving the less of the 2015 Clippers pick and the 2015 Celtics pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Hope this Clippers pick treats us better than the last Clippers pick we had.

More Cs bad luck associated with the draft when CPaul goes to the Clippers and rather than have a pick in the 10-15 range (or higher if we had gotten lucky)we get 21 or whatever in that Perk trade from OKC.

Don't want to jinx us, but watch Queen James end up in Clipperland next year. The only positive will be how that negatively impacts the Fakers, but it sure as hell won't help our draft position.

I'm just paranoid given some of the bad luck we've had in draft related results.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Many trade proposals recognize the fact that opposing GMs will insist on a first round pick from the Celtics in certain types of deals.  It's a matter of which pick you value more, the 2015 Clippers pick or the 2014 Nets/Hawks pick.

Ideally, there would be some sort of protection if the pick is used in a deal, possibly involving the other team receiving the less of the 2015 Clippers pick and the 2015 Celtics pick.

Yeah, I include it but not as if it's a second round pick.

In many trade proposals we *have* to convey a 2015 pick back to satisfy the Stepien rule, because so many trade partners have already given up their picks, or because we want picks in the deal.

As of now the 2015 Clips pick provides the most flexibility there (relative to a 2014 or 2016 pick), because it lets us take back, for example, a set of picks that voids the other team for 2014-2016.

For me at least it's the Stepien consideration that leads me to include the Clips pick in so many deals.

Of course you could protect it in a variety of ways (saying for example that if it's 1-14 we then send the worse of our BKN/BOS picks, lottery protected, in 2015...etc. But I think it's just easier to write "2015 Clips" than all that other stuff!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Yeah it's not that the Clippers will be a bad team next year, its that the teams around them might get better then they will next year. Pelicans, Suns, Grizzlies, they could all  get markably better next year.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
Are we able to put a lottery protection on the clips pick if we send out?
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

They played pretty well when he was out. This is too strong a statement.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

They no longer have Bledsoe so you cannot make that comparison. Also, Doc is now the coach, which imo hurts them as well if CP3 goes down.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

They no longer have Bledsoe so you cannot make that comparison. Also, Doc is now the coach, which imo hurts them as well if CP3 goes down.

Well CP3 was out a month this year and they did really well with Doc coaching and no Eric Bledsoe so I don't know what you're talking about
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Well CP3 was out a month this year and they did really well with Doc coaching and no Eric Bledsoe so I don't know what you're talking about

I month is not a good sample. Lose CP3 for a season and they are a lottery team in the West. Guaranteed.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Does anybody see Ainge using one of our many picks to move up in position in the upcoming draft or gain another pick?? 

Just can't see ainge wanting to pick 9 1st round picks in the next 4-5 years.