Author Topic: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)  (Read 48955 times)

Re: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Assuming that Hudson's contract has only minimal guaranteeds, Hudson showing in camp and in preseason games that he's not a legit NBA prospect.

Or, KG has a setback and they decide they need another insurance policy in the frontcourt.

All predicated on Sweetney being in decent shape.  Before he ate himself out of the league, he wasn't a terrible player.  The NY media overhyped him, but an unchunky Sweetney can be a rotation player, not just a benchwarmer.

He's not competing with Williams; Sheldon's here for the year, they aren't going to cut him.  Assuming no trades, it's competing with Hudson and perhaps Tony Allen.  If Tony's still hurting and they really think both Hudson and Sweetney are worth keeping around, I'm wondering if they might come to some kind of injury settlement with TA. 

McDonald's filing for bankruptcy?

Just kidding...in all seriousness...I'd rather Sweetney (chunky or "lean") over Tony Allen any day of the week...am I crazy for thinking that?

Tony Allen cannot be trusted with the basketball in his hands and is an insanely over-hyped defender. Seriously, who can Tony keep in front of him consistently in this league anymore? Since he's clearly not an asset (often injured and terrible when healthy) that must mean he's a liability, in which case Sweetney serves us better.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Assuming that Hudson's contract has only minimal guaranteeds, Hudson showing in camp and in preseason games that he's not a legit NBA prospect.

Or, KG has a setback and they decide they need another insurance policy in the frontcourt.

All predicated on Sweetney being in decent shape.  Before he ate himself out of the league, he wasn't a terrible player.  The NY media overhyped him, but an unchunky Sweetney can be a rotation player, not just a benchwarmer.

He's not competing with Williams; Sheldon's here for the year, they aren't going to cut him.  Assuming no trades, it's competing with Hudson and perhaps Tony Allen.  If Tony's still hurting and they really think both Hudson and Sweetney are worth keeping around, I'm wondering if they might come to some kind of injury settlement with TA. 

McDonald's filing for bankruptcy?

Just kidding...in all seriousness...I'd rather Sweetney (chunky or "lean") over Tony Allen any day of the week...am I crazy for thinking that?

Tony Allen cannot be trusted with the basketball in his hands and is an insanely over-hyped defender. Seriously, who can Tony keep in front of him consistently in this league anymore? Since he's clearly not an asset (often injured and terrible when healthy) that must mean he's a liability, in which case Sweetney serves us better.

I would take an empty roster spot over Tony allen.

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2009, 01:08:58 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I'd rather scrap JR and keep Sweetney, he was a very good player a few years ago. Food is the real enemy in life though and he lost that war  :(
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Don't want Sweetney.  Every point he gets on offense, he gives back on defense.

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2009, 01:23:31 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
KG, Perk, Sheed, Davis, Williams, Scal...we have 6 bigs already in the team. Unless one of them goes (or is planned to leave ;) I don`t see why Danny would keep one more big.

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
liposuction.
This was probably meant as a joke, but yes, liposuction!  If the guy really cared, wouldn't he have invested in stomach stapleing and liposuction?  He could have turned $25,000 into $70 million.

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The Celtics coaching staff and nutritionists have been able to help Perk and BBD over the years. Why not Sweetney? He's only 27 and is skilled.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
The Celtics coaching staff and nutritionists have been able to help Perk and BBD over the years. Why not Sweetney? He's only 27 and is skilled.
There has to be some desire from the player himself.  Perk and Baby learned about weight management as they entered the league and have been doing the right things ever since.  I'm sure Sweetney has the same knowledge but he continues to do the wrong things.  Perk and Baby got themselves in shape; the nutritionists and coaching staff didn't do it for them.  Sweetney has never done the same thing and he never will.  He's mentally weak in that area.

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If Sweetney is willing to work with the trainers and nutritionists for the next year or so, without a contract, and then make a case for a contract when he is in playing shape (right now, he can't stay in front of anyone), then fine.  But he does not deserve a roster spot right now.

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
liposuction.
This was probably meant as a joke, but yes, liposuction!  If the guy really cared, wouldn't he have invested in stomach stapleing and liposuction?  He could have turned $
25,000 into $70 million.

Liposuction doesnīt solve the problem for people with eating disorders. He had had some personal problems that probably made him eat more and get this heavy.

The guy is surely talented, but I wonder if a team like the Cīs can wait for him to get in shape...

Would love to see him succeed in the league, though. Talent is talent, and he surely has some

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
liposuction.
This was probably meant as a joke, but yes, liposuction!  If the guy really cared, wouldn't he have invested in stomach stapleing and liposuction?  He could have turned $
25,000 into $70 million.

Liposuction doesnīt solve the problem for people with eating disorders. He had had some personal problems that probably made him eat more and get this heavy.

The guy is surely talented, but I wonder if a team like the Cīs can wait for him to get in shape...

Would love to see him succeed in the league, though. Talent is talent, and he surely has some
True, but he would be a thinner guy with an eating disorder.

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
liposuction.
25,000 into $70 million.

True, but he would be a thinner guy with an eating disorder.

He would get his weight back very fast after the liposuction. Why do we want to wish this for the person himself or for our team?

The weight is the result of a problem, that basketball-wise has also become a problem for his career. What it would be desirable to do would be to understand and treat the source of his disorder. That way, he would progressively lose the extra weight and it would be less plausible to be regained in the near future at least.

I sincerelly wish the best for Sweetney as a player and a person. That said, this is pro sports and the Celtics also need to look for their interests. Ideally he would solve his problems here and he could take part of our championship quest

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2009, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
The fat cells that are are removed are gone forever.  And with stomach stapling he would eat less.  I'm a nurse and I've seen many people who have had each procedure.
I'm not entirely serious when I say he should have had these things done, but if he had, yes he would be much smaller right now.
And I agree with you that he has bigger problems that he needs to deal with, and I really don't care if he makes the C's or not.