Author Topic: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)  (Read 49030 times)

Re: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

Online P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Hudson has a better chance than Sweetney, because barring a trade involving Scal, I don't see any need for Sweetney.

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
A plane crash.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
If there is a trade for Nocioni, I read somewhere Baby would be part of the deal...

It creates interest to pull for a comeback kid.

He could lay a load on Shaq and has six fouls.  I like the idea of a landlord who owns the paint and other immovable objects on the block for that reason. 

LA got Artest to be more physical.

So, let's get physical.

Sweetney has post moves, rebounds, blocks shots and is physical.  As Tommy would say, "He plays down on the box."

Keep him over Giddens, Hudson or T. Allen.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
we have 5 guys who are essentially PFs already. mike's around to provide a body in practice while they bring KG along slowly.
I agree with you ssspence.

It seems like there are usually not a lot of trades once camp starts anyway. Most teams are trying to evaluate who they have before the end of camp. When camp winds down and rosters need to be managed, then it's different story.

We could very well be doing someones agent a favor as well. If Sweetney looks good, another team could sign him after we let him go. Best case for us is that if he is looking really good,
We trade him as part of a package to improve our roster or add draft picks.

I just dont see any chance of him getting any minutes on our team behind KG, Perk, Sheed, Baby or even Scalabrine and Williams.

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
for him to play better than shelden williams. simple.

if sweetney can outplay williams i, for one, would be delighted. it means the celtics picked up a better player and it cost them nothing really.

as i remember, sweetney wasnt a bad player. he played 4 years in the nba. in years 2 & 3 (ruling out the rookie year and the "can i pull up a chair to the all you eat buffet?" year) his stats were...

min 20 and 19
pts 8.4 and 8.1
rbs 5.4 and 5.3
blk 0.4 and 0.8
pf 2.9 and 3.2

he will be 27 in october, not old.

by way of comparison, sheldon will be 26 in october average career stats are...

min 15
pts 4.7
rbs 4.2
blk 0.4
pf 2.0

neither of these guys stats shout "super star" and they are similar. but sweetney does seem to have bit more scoring potential.

so, let them play and see who is better. not a bad move by ainge at all.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

if sweetney can outplay williams i, for one, would be delighted. it means the celtics picked up a better player and it cost them nothing really.

as i remember, sweetney wasnt a bad player. he played 4 years in the nba. in years 2 & 3 (ruling out the rookie year and the "can i pull up a chair to the all you eat buffet?" year) his stats were...

min 20 and 19
pts 8.4 and 8.1
rbs 5.4 and 5.3
blk 0.4 and 0.8
pf 2.9 and 3.2

min 15
pts 4.7
rbs 4.2
blk 0.4
pf 2.0

neither of these guys stats shout "super star" and they are similar. but sweetney does seem to have bit more scoring potential.

I think Sheldon is still way better.  He brings better defense to the table.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Heh, I said he was competing with Giddens and Walker. Silly me, I didn't notice that Sweetney was a PF!

Yes...Mike Sweetney will push Shelden Williams to the limit, and show Williams that he needs to earn the right to ride the bus! I like this. If Shelden stays, he's proven himself, somewhat. If Sweetney stays, then congrats to him

Great move by Ainge. Good to see he's not sleeping on the job. That's why he's the GM.  :D

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

min 20 and 19
pts 8.4 and 8.1
rbs 5.4 and 5.3
blk 0.4 and 0.8
pf 2.9 and 3.2

min 15
pts 4.7
rbs 4.2
blk 0.4
pf 2.0

If he is on the floor showing us this 'better' defense, we are in big trouble.....someone is hurt. I hope we never get a chance to see it, at least for this season.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

min 20 and 19
pts 8.4 and 8.1
rbs 5.4 and 5.3
blk 0.4 and 0.8
pf 2.9 and 3.2

min 15
pts 4.7
rbs 4.2
blk 0.4
pf 2.0

If he is on the floor showing us this 'better' defense, we are in big trouble.....someone is hurt. I hope we never get a chance to see it, at least for this season.
I never said I wanted either of them to see a minute.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:34 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
It seems like a potential TA/Scal trade wouldn't happen until midseason, so I would rule that out for now.

Knowing that Hudson is up there in age for a rookie, maybe the Celtics drafted him as the most NBA-ready player available, and they'll only keep him if he proves he can play right now. This hasn't been something Danny has done in the past with his 2nd round picks, but maybe something about the team's current situation caused him to think that way. Perhaps if Lester doesn't show that he can play, they would cut him and keep Sweetney just to have an extra body around.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
a trade is the only way i can see this guy getting a shot with us. dropping tony would be a waste of money and a waste of an expiring contract...

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Knowing that Hudson is up there in age for a rookie, maybe the Celtics drafted him as the most NBA-ready player available, and they'll only keep him if he proves he can play right now. This hasn't been something Danny has done in the past with his 2nd round picks, but maybe something about the team's current situation caused him to think that way. Perhaps if Lester doesn't show that he can play, they would cut him and keep Sweetney just to have an extra body around.

Yes.

Plus, I think people are overstating the importance of the position that the #15 guy on the roster plays.  #15 isn't a player that you are even thinking about as getting on the court.  If it's a power forward, or a center, a PG or a wing, it's almost irrelevant.  #15 is usually a guy that's either left over and useless, or a project that you're hoping might be of assistance in a year or two (when the rosters' composition could be entirely different). 

If Sweetney can play, they'll bring him aboard, stash him, let him keep working himself into shape, and then maybe that'll let them make a BBD or Scal trade easier mid-season.  We're likely to trade one of those guys at some point, so the fact that the frontcourt rotation is pretty well filled-up today doesn't really change how you think about that last roster spot.

I do think it's up to Hudson, if he shows that he's real close to being able to contribute, they'll keep him aboard, but if they see that he just can't match up there isn't much point keeping him around.

And, if they're both about the same in terms of ability to contribute...   it's easier to find a smallish wing man in the D-League than it is to find a big. 

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 09:47:31 AM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
His chance of making the roster is pretty much if we make a deal that clears a roster spot for him, probably involving Scal. The only other possible scenario is if a rash of injuries hit the big men early and as a result, we would keep Sweetney instead of Lester for depth.

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline sully00

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
A trade that opens a roster spot.

Sheldon Williams continued sucking. 

Sweetney was a decent NBA player (7ppg/5rpg 48%) who ate himself out of the league, Sheldon's on his way to playing (4ppg/4rpg 44%)himself out of the league. 

Sweetney can fix his problem, in some ways it really isn't fair Sheldon has two issues he can't do anything about sucking and being ugly.

This comment is ... nevermind...

I am so tired of the insulting comments on Scal for the color of his skin and appearance, and now it seems Sheldon is going to be attacked for his "supposed ugliness" and the "contradiction" of him being married to a pretty woman.

To all those people, maybe you are not as clever, handsome and cool as you think you are. Think about it.

Sorry mods if this sounds offensive. If you think so, please delete post or something, but I just got tired of comments of this genre

Easy bro you might drop that needle

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
A trade that opens a roster spot.

Sheldon Williams continued sucking. 

Sweetney was a decent NBA player (7ppg/5rpg 48%) who ate himself out of the league, Sheldon's on his way to playing (4ppg/4rpg 44%)himself out of the league. 

Sweetney can fix his problem, in some ways it really isn't fair Sheldon has two issues he can't do anything about sucking and being ugly.

This comment is ... nevermind...

I am so tired of the insulting comments on Scal for the color of his skin and appearance, and now it seems Sheldon is going to be attacked for his "supposed ugliness" and the "contradiction" of him being married to a pretty woman.

To all those people, maybe you are not as clever, handsome and cool as you think you are. Think about it.

Sorry mods if this sounds offensive. If you think so, please delete post or something, but I just got tired of comments of this genre

Easy bro you might drop that needle

Lol bro! you're sooo smart :P