Author Topic: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)  (Read 48953 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Mike Sweetney got a camp invite.  I can't see him making the team, but under what circumstances could it happen?

(This is one of those "discuss" threads...  I'll try to add my input later, but I was curious to see what everyone else was thinking.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »

Offline sully00

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
A trade that opens a roster spot.

Sheldon Williams continued sucking. 

Sweetney was a decent NBA player (7ppg/5rpg 48%) who ate himself out of the league, Sheldon's on his way to playing (4ppg/4rpg 44%)himself out of the league. 

Sweetney can fix his problem, in some ways it really isn't fair Sheldon has two issues he can't do anything about sucking and being ugly.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Assuming that Hudson's contract has only minimal guaranteeds, Hudson showing in camp and in preseason games that he's not a legit NBA prospect.

Or, KG has a setback and they decide they need another insurance policy in the frontcourt.

All predicated on Sweetney being in decent shape.  Before he ate himself out of the league, he wasn't a terrible player.  The NY media overhyped him, but an unchunky Sweetney can be a rotation player, not just a benchwarmer.

He's not competing with Williams; Sheldon's here for the year, they aren't going to cut him.  Assuming no trades, it's competing with Hudson and perhaps Tony Allen.  If Tony's still hurting and they really think both Hudson and Sweetney are worth keeping around, I'm wondering if they might come to some kind of injury settlement with TA. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:38:28 PM by the_Bird »

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I never liked Sweetney's game.  He's just a pudgy jump shooter, and we already have one of those who is better than Sweetney.

He has a better chance of making the team than Kevin Pittsnogle did-- but not by much.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
There's no way he could possibly make the roster before the season.  That many big men would make no sense, especially when the backup SF and PG positions aren't set in stone.

MAYBE we'd sign him near the deadline if Scal gets traded.  Or if Sheldon turns out to be horrible, we might try to do a big man upgrade like we did with POB and Mikki Moore (not like that really did anything).

Otherwise the signing would have to be injury-related.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I never liked Sweetney's game.  He's just a pudgy jump shooter, and we already have one of those who is better than Sweetney.

He has a better chance of making the team than Kevin Pittsnogle did-- but not by much.

MUCH better rebounder than Big Baby, though; gobbles them up like they're cupcakes.

We do have a lot of big men right now, but I imagine that Scal will be gone at some point before the playoffs.  Maybe they're looking to trade Scal for either a bigger 3 or a backup point, and are thinking about Sweetney as being that last big man?

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's gonna take him coming into weight in much better shape than he's ever been in, and he;ll have to outplay sheldon williams by a very healthy margin. I don't think its even close to possible.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
It just aint gunna happen. I don't mind Sweetney at all and i love a comeback more than anything but it just is not going to happen. To many big guys in front of him who have been playing ball and have not been out of the game for a while.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

like 50 pounds.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline sully00

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Why wouldn't they cut Sheldon Williams?  I guess his deal might be guaranteed but even then it is the cheapest guy to cut.  If he sucks and Sweetney looks pretty good it would be ridiculous to go well we can't afford the minimum cap hit wouldn't it?

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »

Offline nesnfsn

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
If we put Sweetney and Davis on the floor together, with the 2 of them being somewhat undersized heightwise, the Celts could gain a new diet sponsor, and Tommy could call it Time for Sweet and Low.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Guess we missed out on Sweet'n'Powe.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 02:27:04 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Why wouldn't they cut Sheldon Williams?  I guess his deal might be guaranteed but even then it is the cheapest guy to cut.  If he sucks and Sweetney looks pretty good it would be ridiculous to go well we can't afford the minimum cap hit wouldn't it?

No, the cheapest player to cut is Lester Hudson, especially if his deal is not fully guaranteed.

The clock's ticking for Hudson to prove he belongs, that he's a legit NBA prospect.  As was noted elsewhere, he's older than about half our rotation players (older than Perk, older than Rondo, older than BBD) - this isn't someone that you stick in the D-League and hope he gets better.  There ain't much more development with Hudson, he's either good enough to contribute or not.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
A trade that opens a roster spot.

Sheldon Williams continued sucking. 

Sweetney was a decent NBA player (7ppg/5rpg 48%) who ate himself out of the league, Sheldon's on his way to playing (4ppg/4rpg 44%)himself out of the league. 

Sweetney can fix his problem, in some ways it really isn't fair Sheldon has two issues he can't do anything about sucking and being ugly.

This comment is ... nevermind...

I am so tired of the insulting comments on Scal for the color of his skin and appearance, and now it seems Sheldon is going to be attacked for his "supposed ugliness" and the "contradiction" of him being married to a pretty woman.

To all those people, maybe you are not as clever, handsome and cool as you think you are. Think about it.

Sorry mods if this sounds offensive. If you think so, please delete post or something, but I just got tired of comments of this genre

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
we have 5 guys who are essentially PFs already. mike's around to provide a body in practice while they bring KG along slowly.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)