Author Topic: All Time Soccer Draft !!! - Rate My Team  (Read 30460 times)

Re: All Time Soccer Draft !!! - Rate My Team
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 02:52:47 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Did I said something about other players on your team? No. I was talking about that Maradona quote from 1982 you are mentioning all the time about being better than him as if it really means something. Since then, even at his best, he did nothing more than playing for small spanish ream and even those who saw him play all the time don't cpmpare him with legends like Maradona.

Pele once said that Nii Lamptey will be his heir, that Nick Barmby would be as good as Zidane, Maldini and El Phenomenon Ronaldo and names Saviola as one of 125 best players ever. I should have taken them then, if Pele said so, it must be true.

p.s. to this one Saviola was better than his carrer at barcelona.
He never lived up to his hype. He become nothing specail at all. Him being in the 125 best ever by Pele is a joke. I can think of many other players who deserve to be there instead of him.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »

fitzhickey

Still Italy is known for their deffenders

p.s. You make a great choice choosing them over english deffenders
I know and I love Italian defenders (and Italian football in general) very much. Nesta stands right there with the best of them, no doubt. He's the last of great Italian defenders, you won't find great ones there at the moment.

Germans defenders are great as well by the way.

You have earned a tp for promoting the Germans

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:27 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Did I said something about other players on your team? No. I was talking about that Maradona quote from 1982 you are mentioning all the time about being better than him as if it really means something. Since then, even at his best, he did nothing more than playing for small spanish ream and even those who saw him play all the time don't cpmpare him with legends like Maradona.

Pele once said that Nii Lamptey will be his heir, that Nick Barmby would be as good as Zidane, Maldini and El Phenomenon Ronaldo and names Saviola as one of 125 best players ever. I should have taken them then, if Pele said so, it must be true.

p.s. to this one Saviola was better than his carrer at barcelona.
He never lived up to his hype. He become nothing specail at all. Him being in the 125 best ever by Pele is a joke. I can think of many other players who deserve to be there instead of him.

Like Magico?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

I know and I love Italian defenders (and Italian football in general) very much. Nesta stands right there with the best of them, no doubt. He's the last of great Italian defenders, you won't find great ones there at the moment.

pst i dont want the Tp but i luv german deffenders too

Nice to be back!

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 03:03:54 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

pst i dont want the Tp but i luv german deffenders too

but nothing beats the catenacio

Nice to be back!

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 03:08:30 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Year 2006
I thought epic things about el Magico
me try to do what he did but we never could
indeed hes one of the top ten i saw
i played with him in Argentinos Jr in Barcelona

he is one of the best i saw and we try the next day to do things he does, we couldnt do that

Diego

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpi3yGuHjng

p.s. he was rated 11th in 1982 cup sadly  no core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08qzN8FgByA

Nice to be back!

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

German defenders are great as well by the way.

Tnx, gave one back :) Yeah, they produced many good ones. I can see you like them too by a heavy German presence in your team..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:54:36 AM by misha »
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
12th maen: Jorge "Magico" Gonzales[/size][/color]

a.k.a. the only 12th man better than the No.1  pick in this draft
I had never heard of Magico prior to this draft.

I wish I had seen him play. His highlights packages on youtube are really impressive.

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

PETER SCHMEICHEL

I had a better choice but i understand the pick

When Schmeichel joined Man U, they hadn't won a championship in 25 years. Denmark won the EURO92 largely thanks to Peter the Great. I have never seen a better goalkeeper. Besides great goalkeeping, he was really good at throwing the ball to his midfielders and attackers, who would then get many scoring chances because of the good pass Schmeichel had made.

GIUSEPPE BERGOMI
CARLES PUYOL
PAOLO MALDINI
DIDIER DESCHAMPS
My only worry is that you have the best centrals and you will lack a little speed on one rail, but maldini will keep the other one covered
over all your central deffense is amazing.

Actually, I play a 3-4-3, so Deschamps is in midfield, although defensively. Keane covers the other side. I feel my defenders are good enough that I can stay with a three-player line at the back. Also, Maldini was just an outstanding player defensively, almost always getting away with a good pass and almost never throwing the ball away. Bergomi was just plain tough and the perfect compliment to Maldini. Puyol gives me a great central defender, who can also be effective in runs forward, on corners, et cetera.
Laudrup (who I think is the best offensive player and most underrated I've followed at close hand) and Socrates (who was great with either foot and a workhorse to boot, besides being 6'4" and strong as an ox) round out my offensive midfield nicely.

Law is Scottish and Keano's Irish, so my only true Englishman is Robson as my 12th man  ;)

RUUD VAN NISTELROOY
DAVID VILLA
Nice couple of contemporary goal seekers
I like Rudd over david
and probably Hugo have something over him too

Law, Ruud and Villa combine for 118 international goals in just 210 matches and 706 goals in 1377 club matches. I think that's a fairly dangerous trio at the front. With Laudrup setting them up, they will score a lot of goals. Also, Villa is really good with both feet so being on the left wing should not be a problem for him.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with my team, I think I got my hands on *most* of the players I had been hoping for.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:46:05 AM by ACF »

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I was always a bit disturbed by how Roberto Baggio was passed around and let go by top teams. Played at Juve for five years but it was one of the weaker recent periods for the club as they struggled to win a title while he was there. Finally won once when Baggio missed half the season. Then sold by Juventus just before their most successful periods under Lippi. Had a minimal role at AC Milan. Then moved to Inter Milan and again had only a small role in the team.

I loved Baggio at Brescia later in his career. They built the team around him and catered to his strengths. I thought that was a great period for him.

I was always a bit disturbed at how Roberto Baggio failed to fit into big teams (title-winning teams). I've always suspected that Baggio was too difficult to get the best out of while still doing what is right for the rest of the team's players and the team overall.

He is a player I find difficult to rate. Exceptional individual talent but a lack of team success.

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Zico One of the best midfield scorers ever with great vision, passing lethal shot, dribbling, finishing and free kicks. Was the best player in the world at his prime in early 80's. Can easily play a more advanced role.

Roberto Baggio - exceptional talented, regarded by many as the most talented Italian ever. Could do it all with the ball, very versatile. Was unlucky to miss a penalty in WC final but he was the reason why Italy was there in the first place. He carried that team and won all the important individual awards at that time and a consensus in the early 90's.

Ferenc Puskas - True scorer, scored 616 in 620 games during his career, led the legendary and revolutionary Hungarian team of the 50's (scored 84 goals in 85 games for them), only his injury prevented them winning it all in 1954. Moved to Real Madrid when he was 31 but still scored 242 goals for them and was key player in one of the best teams ever build - Real Madrid of early 60's.

And of course Maradona. We can argue who was better he or Pele forever but for me Maradonas prime (1984-91) was better than anuone else prime. A truly megical player, there is nothing he couldn't do with ball. Took the Argentinian team by himself to win the 1986 World Cup, and carried them to another final 4 years later. Took Napoli, a relatively small team then and made them the best team in Italy, the toughest european league by far back them with empires like Juve, Inter and Milan unable to do nothing.

I loved the combination of Maradona, Zico and Puskas. I thought that was an incredibly difficult front trio to defend against because all three of them are so good at moving between the lines ... at dragging defenders out of their preferred positions and picking the ball up in areas in between defense and midfield. All exceptionally gifted passers/playmakers and strong goal-scorers. I thought that trio was a nightmare to defend against. One of the best attacks in the fantasy league.

I thought adding Roberto Baggio to that trio was maybe one player too many. Too similar to your other attacker's strengths. Not enough space for everyone to operate. Everybody wants the same areas of the pitch to operate in. I thought maybe a different type of attacker would have been a better fit. Someone in the wide areas of the pitch.

Not sure how well that would work with Baggio being added to those three. Maybe it would work well. Maybe it doesn't.

I wonder if Rumminegge is a better option than Baggio. He was so well-rounded and capable of playing anywhere across the front-line. Great team player. Does what was needed of him. Maybe he'd tie things together better than Baggio would despite not being quite as individually brilliant as Baggio was.

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Immortals:

I think this is an incredible team. I love the defense. I love the midfield play. I love the attack. Very good goal-keeper. Very good manager. It has everything. A truly great all-around team.

I haven't looked at everyone's team yet but this is one that kept catching my eye throughout the draft and I love how it ended up.

Defense

I thought Facchetti was a great pick. One of the key players on those great Inter teams. Strong defensively with good size and quickness combined with excellent attacking play. He was my top rated left back in the draft.

I thought Nesta was a great defensive player. Excellent reading of the game. Great tackler. Great at interceptions. Very strong marker. A leader on the back-line. I thought Maldini's career (when he was starting to slow down) got a huge boost when Nesta joined. And even more recently, Thiago Silva, I thought Silva really benefited from getting to learn from Nesta while adapting to European football. A true leader at the back.

Solid defender at taking the ball out of the back but not a great one. Probably showed more passing skills at Lazio under Sven than he did at Milan. I also think Nesta gets a boost in this format from being considered at his peak rather than as the injury-prone player he was. If it was longevity / whole of career, I would rate him a bit lower due to all the interruptions to his career that injuries caused.

I love Sammer. I half-thought about putting him and Beckenbauer together. I love Sammer + Rinus Michaels (I worry a bit about Mourinho in this regard). I think that is a great combination. I think Sammer's passing and vision is a great complement to Nesta's tough defensive work. Great combination. To pick Sammer up so late in the draft was a great piece of business.

Javier Zanetti is a player I am lukewarm on. Good player. The opposite of Nesta's case, a player who was incredibly durable and would rate higher on the whole career rather than his peak. More of a midfielder than a right back but he was a fine right back (same with me with Neeskens).

I thought that right back spot was the most difficult in the draft. There were a couple of players I really liked but they went early and I was lukewarm on most of the rest. Why I drafted Neeskens (a central midfielder) and played him there instead of picking an out and out right back. I was also very interested in Steven Gerrard as a RB. I was disappointed when he got picked.

Midfield

I love Lothar Matthaus. A great box-to-box type midfielder who could function as an advanced midfielder or as a defensive midfielder.

I thought that holding midfielder spot was another tricky one in this draft. You want someone good on the ball who can keep the team-based attack going + someone with enough ball-winning skills and defensive discipline to keep your team's shape defensively. Finding someone who can do both was very tricky. I would've loved to have seen Matthaus have a bit more freedom going forward but I understand picking him as a holding midfielder and think he is a great option there.

Xavi is another brilliant passer to go along with Puskas, Maradona and Zico. That interplay between those players and then Matthaus filling hols is incredible. Exceptional. I am completely and wholly in love with that combination of talent.

Attack

I talked a bit about the attack just above. Some concerns about how Roberto Baggio fits in but I love everything else. I thought this was one of the best attacks in the fantasy league led by Puskas, Maradona and Zico.

I particularly loved how they pulled defenders out of their comfort zones and made themselves (individually and collective) extremely difficult for opponents to pick up defensively. Combined that with the magnificent array of passing and strong goal-scoring skills and they are an absolute nightmare to play against.

Overall

This is an incredible team. Like I said earlier, I haven't looked at every squad yet but this is one that stood out to me all throughout the draft and is definitely a favourite of mine.

Amazing team.

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Any thoughts on my team or should I take the lack of feedback as a "enjoy being relegated"?  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
12th maen: Jorge "Magico" Gonzales[/size][/color]

a.k.a. the only 12th man better than the No.1  pick in this draft
I had never heard of Magico prior to this draft.

I wish I had seen him play. His highlights packages on youtube are really impressive.

yes, he was that good
sadly he never cared about it
just a bohemian man who cares more about party and nonsleep and even without sleeping was better than the other 21 there.
sad because he could have been there.............

Nice to be back!

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Any thoughts on my team or should I take the lack of feedback as a "enjoy being relegated"?  ;)

put it back here crownsy

Nice to be back!