Author Topic: Is Yabu gonna get the Mickey treatment?  (Read 1315 times)

Is Yabu gonna get the Mickey treatment?
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:05 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I know the kid is so raw right now, but he have much more upside potential than Mickey ever had. His lateral quickness given his size is not something you see everyday. And he have shown some real defensive potential in the preseason.

With Hayward gone, I think Yabu could use a spot minutes, even if its just 5-10 minutes per game.

Re: Is Yabu gonna get the Mickey treatment?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yabu will get the minutes he earns, it is not like CBS has a grudge against the guy. 

shown some real defensive potential in the preseason.
Of Course, it is better to show potential than not, but preseason really means next to nothing once the games are for real.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:42:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As much as I want to see him play, I think the game is moving too fast for him at the moment.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The front court is quite unsettled at the moment with GH out, Morris not yet back, Yabu looking like deer-in-the-headlights.  Time to roll the dice with Theis?

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:12:19 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We're not in practice every day. There probably something he's missing on defensive assignments consistently.

He also doesn't jump well unless he gathers himself. And as fast as the NBA is, that makes him really slow. I could see him needing to lose 10-15lbs to get some quickness like Smart. The guy is huge, but he was training to be a boxer first. It's why he has suck good foot work. But the NBA is getting quicker and leaner. His body type would have been good int he Shaq era. Now you need to be quick.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Mickey was a super letdown for me.  So many big picks just can't play in the NBA.

Yabu is putting in the effort on the court , he is active .....but all that action needs to translate into something useful or makes a diiference. eventually.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 08:24:37 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I believe Yabu is coming off of double ankle surgery this summer (missed summer league) so maybe he isn’t quite there yet physically. 

I like him though.  A bruiser next to Horford is appealing and he can also spread the floor.  He is so young though, and it’s not like I and others haven’t been fooled before by the promise of youth. Lol

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I believe Yabu is coming off of double ankle surgery this summer (missed summer league) so maybe he isn’t quite there yet physically. 

Good point, though it's actually the tops of his feet - he had bone spurs removed.  There was a discussion on here about his lack of lift in pre-season, and while I'm not sure I saw that particularly, it would make sense.

A problem like that suggests a potentially chronic situation. I'm a little skeptical, frankly, about his long-term future in the league. He's got a unique game for a guy his size, and it'd be great to see him mature and play minutes.

One thing that was so striking in pre-season was how much the Celtics bigs were crashing the offensive board, and Yabu did some great work, I thought, in getting the team some second shots, sneaking in and getting his big hands on the ball for backtaps.  We'll see how much Brad Stevens allows that sort of thing this season; if the past is any indication, he prefers to lift the bigs in the half-court and get back on defense, minimizing rebounding on the offensive end.

If he stays healthy, he'll get a chance this year; so far he's nailed to the bench, but his time will come.

I like him though.  A bruiser next to Horford is appealing and he can also spread the floor.  He is so young though, and it’s not like I and others haven’t been fooled before by the promise of youth. Lol

All good points; I would also add that Jordan Mickey's career is not by any means over, either.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
hopefully, he's really not that good... waste of a pick imo.

the comparisons to draymond green are laughable. he's more big baby - without the talent.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 07:09:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

the comparisons to draymond green are laughable. he's more big baby - without the talent.
Excellent talent analysis ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

big baby got major mins. on a championship team. yeah, perfect talent analysis.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

big baby got major mins. on a championship team. yeah, perfect talent analysis.
Except Yabu and Big Baby have completely different games. The only similarity is that they're both massive and use their size inside.

And you're writing him off after he's played basketball for merely 5 years. Maybe have a bit of patience
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If he doesn't show that he's good enough to get minutes, then yes.

The same applies for any rookie that hasn't shown enough to earn minutes (we're not the 76ers or Lakers, rookies have to earn their minutes here)
I'm bitter.