Author Topic: Celtics should trade for Luol Deng  (Read 7306 times)

Celtics should trade for Luol Deng
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
This guy is having a subpar year for the Bulls. It really comes as no shock to me. Ben Gordon was bound to have a career year like the one he's having playing alongside Derrick Rose. Deng is more of a slasher, overall player who can be an asset on the defensive end.

How about:

Deng + Lindsey Hunter FOR

Perkins + Tony Allen + Eddie House + JR Giddens.

We could use Deng, provided we can grab a big man like Alonzo Mourning or Joe Smith off of waivers to replace him. Honestly, the lineup with Scal in it is thriving because it's stretching the defense A LOT and opening up opportunities for everybody on the floor. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I love having Scal at C. It can work. And having an offensive threat like Deng coming off the bench makes us devastating. And don't forget Lindsey Hunter, who WILL make opposing PG's cry with his defense.

Re: Celtics should trade for Luol Deng
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
^So who would be our long term starting center after this season, BBD? :o

I'd love to have Deng, but certainly not at the expense of Perk!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »

• Jaylen Brown

Don't overrate Perk. We can win without him, and his bum shoulder. During the Finals, did you know that PJ Brown played more minutes than him? He does some good things out there, but let's be real, he's not the reason we win. He's not even a top 5 reason IMO. The coaches' like to play up his importance to make it seem he's really a glue guy, but just look at how much "worse" the Celtics are when he's out of the lineup. LOL!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Don't overrate Perk. We can win without him, and his bum shoulder. During the Finals, did you know that PJ Brown played more minutes than him? He does some good things out there, but let's be real, he's not the reason we win. He's not even a top 5 reason IMO. The coaches' like to play up his importance to make it seem he's really a glue guy, but just look at how much "worse" the Celtics are when he's out of the lineup. LOL!

I think you underrate Perk's defensive presence.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

You underrate Perk's importance.

As long as his shoulder is healthy he's better for this team then Deng.

A center like Perk is hard to find, and we'll need him in the play-offs.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

you say don't overrate perk, but you've massivly overrated scal's abilitys as a center to try to downplay him, and you've pointed to 3 teams that our bench would have had a shot to beat to justify it.

What did our recored look like in the playoffs, ya know, vs good teams with legit centers, with perk out?

I think your out of your mind with this anyalsis on perk, but even throwing that out, lets just look at the "scal can play center!" side of the argument. We beat a team with no true center and a young kid last night. if we had played a team with a legit center, we would have been abused.

Perk plays great physical defense on big centers. Lets take a quick look at centers we will be seeing in meanigful series in the playoffs vs scal.

Dhoward= wow, scal gets ruined. this would be a nightmare.

Z= no shot for scal, Z can shoot over him easily and can own him on the boards.

horford= scal might be able to bother his shot, he's not dominate or overly long. don't like brian's chances rebounding. Easily the only center in this group scal can even bother however.

Bynaum- will eat scal alive. can shoot over him, much bigger, dominates scal in th post game. will out board scal to a ridiculous degree. perk on the other hand has been able to bother him alot.

Yao= as tough as he is for perk, way tougher matchup on scal, who has to give up 7 inches. yao would dominate scal.

TD= see above, onyl worse.

Thier is a reason scal is a SF/PF and not a C. We can get away with him vs small lineups (Raps) and ok at best centers (nets) but against dominate centers? no thanks.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
can't have Deng, Pierce and Ray Ray on the same team. won't work. see the prtoblems they're having in Detroit working Rip, AI and Stuckey in together? who plays when with who? who gets minutes? doesn't work. you'd have to trade Ray to them in the deal, and that's not likely to happen.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

• Jaylen Brown
LOL. Read my original post. You didn't read it. You only read the part where I had Perk going to CHI in the trade proposal.

I had one provision, and that is the idea this trade is only applicable if we're able to sign an Alonzo Mourning or Joe Smith who'd fit in our offense / defense.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
LOL. Read my original post. You didn't read it. You only read the part where I had Perk going to CHI in the trade proposal.

I had one provision, and that is the idea this trade is only applicable if we're able to sign an Alonzo Mourning or Joe Smith who'd fit in our offense / defense.

I read it, i think its a bad trade for other reasons as well. no way is deng happy off the bench, for one. as someone said, we'd be the pistons, who are just now realizing either rip and AI has to come off the bench, and both are gripping about it. also, this gives us 4 PG's (rondo,pruitt, hunter,sam) and takes out both SG's behind ray (house and TA) so we would really small at in the backcourt at all times, which weakens us vs Clev, Det, Orl, and Mia.

and you have right in your original post that you wanted Scal to be our center after perk is gone.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I love having Scal at C. It can work.

which is so ridiculous i can't even begin to envision it. I just imagine dominate centers on playoff teams laughing while they abuse him due to thier 6-8 inch height advantage and crazy strength advantage.

We would not make it past CLEV or ORL with scal playing minutes at a center. SF and PF, scal has uses for. center? no way.

this is a bad trade, in my opnion, thats all.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Bulls wouldnt even give him up to get Kobe Bryant.
And you're dead wrong about Perk...sorry but this is a worse team without him, and a worse team with Luol Deng and no Perk

This team went 7-2 without KG in the lineup an scal starting and there doing something similar now
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
Can we merge this with the "most pointless trade ever?"  thread?
New England Sports... Feel the Beastmode-ness!

-city of champions-

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There's absolutely no way we get by the Cavs last year without Perk. His help defense on LeBron was one of the keys of the series.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Perkins plays well over his contract. Deng is becoming incredibly overpaid. The Bulls need to move him, I think. I don't see Deng as a good complement to Rose. But Paxson should look for a different package that this one.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
What you saw last night with Scal at C was "fools gold".He can't play C affectively aganist any legit contenders.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
If Danny could be assured by Mourning or another big that they will play for Boston, than I do this trade in a heartbeat. It's not that I don't appreciate what Perkins does for the Celtics. I love Deng's game. Not only would the Celtics win the title this year with Deng as the sixth man, but they would find their long term Allen/Pierce replacement.

In the off season when Mourning or whichever veteran big we have acquired retires, we should throw the full MLE at Rasheed Wallace. Then our center problems would be solved as we try and go for championship number three.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:38:31 PM by KungPoweChicken »