Author Topic: Hornets (20-60) at Celtics (62-18) Game #81 4/12/24  (Read 3998 times)

Hornets (20-60) at Celtics (62-18) Game #81 4/12/24
« on: April 11, 2024, 11:01:01 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Charlotte Hornets (20-60) at Boston Celtics (62-18)
Friday, April 12, 2024
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #81 Home Game #40
TV:  NBCSB, BSSE-CHA, NBA-LP
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 92.7 WFNZ-FM
TD Garden

Probable Celtics Starters
PG SG SFPF C
PG:  Payton Pritchard
SG:  Oshae Brissett
SF:  Sam Hauser
PF:  Xavier Tillman
C:   Luke Kornet

Celtics Reserves
Svi Mykhailiuk
Jaden Springer

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Drew Peterson

Injuries/Out

Jaylen Brown (hand) questionable
Kristaps Porzingis (hamstring) questionable
Jayson Tatum (ankle) questionable
Al Horford (toe) questionable
Derrick White (ankle) questionable
Jrue Holiday (knee) questionable
Jordan Walsh (Maine) questionable
Neemias Queta (Maine) questionable

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla 

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG:  Vasa Micic
SG:  Tre Mann
SF:  Brandon Miller
PF:  Miles Bridges
C:   Grant Williams

Hornets Reserves
Davis Bertans
Bryce McGowens
Nick Smith, Jr
JT Thor
Aleksej Pokusevski

2 Way Players
Amari Bailey
Leaky Black
Marques Bolden

Injuries/Out

LaMelo Ball (ankle) out
Cody Martin (knee)  out
Seth Curry (ankle) out
Mark Williams (back) out
Nick Richards  (foot) questionable

Head Coach
Steve Clifford

Game Notes
The Celtics complete a back to back set at home as they take on Grant Williams and the Charlotte Hornets.   This is the third and final game between these two teams this season.  The Celtics lost the first game 118-121 in OT on November 20 at Charlotte.  They won the second game 118-104 in Charlotte on April 1.   The Celtics won the series 4-0 last season. 

The Celtics are 76-46 overall all time against the Hornets.  They are 40-20 in games played in Boston.  The Celtics are playing on the second night of back to back games.  They lost to the Knicks on Thursday in spite of playing all their starters.  The Celtics are 11-2 in the second of back to back games. and they are 6-0 when the second game is at home. 

The Celtics have just one more game left and that is at home against the Washington Wizards on Sunday afternoon.  The Hornets are coming off a win at Atlanta, with Trae Young back in the line up,, on Wednesday.  They have just one more game to play also.  They will play at Cleveland on Sunday also. 

The Celtics are locked into first place in the league.  They are 13 games ahead of 2nd place Milwaukee, 14 games ahead of 3rd place new York, 15 games ahead of 4th place Cleveland, 16 games ahead of 5th place Orlando and 16 games ahead of 6th place Indiana.  They are 35-4 at home and 6-4 in their last 10 games.  They are 39-11 against Eastern Conference teams and they have lost their last 2 games.

The Hornets are 13th in the East, 42 games behind 1st place Boston, 16 games behind 10th place Atlanta and a chance to play for a playoff spot in the play in tournament.  They are 5 games ahead of 14th place Washington and 6.5 games ahead of 15th place Detroit.  They are 9-30 on the road and 3-7 in their last 10 games.  They are 13-37 against Eastern Conference teams and are coming off a win in their last game. 

The Celtics played their starters, 4 of whom were questionable going into the game,  between 25 and 30 minutes on Thursday night and so I doubt we will see any of them in this game.  Tatum (knee), Brown (hand), Porzingis (hamstring), Holiday (knee), White (ankle) and Al (toe) will all likely be out this game. They are listed as questionable as of now.  It's possible that one or two of them may play but I'm thinking they will sit this one.  The starters I've listed are just a wild guess at this time and will become clearer closer to game time. 

With the Maine Celtics off until Monday,  they may recall Queta and Walsh, but that's also a guess.  The Hornets also have a lengthy injury list.  Nick Richards is questionable with a foot injury. Grant Williams is questionable with an ankle injury.  Both of them will be a game time decision.  Mark Williams is out with a back injury.  LaMelo Ball is out with an ankle injury.  Seth Curry is out with an ankle injury.  Cody Martin is out with an ankle injury. 

Key Matchups
vs
Xavier Tillman vs Miles Bridges
Bridges is averaging 21.3 points, 7.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1 steal per game.  He is shooting 46.2% from the field and 35% from beyond the arc.  Against Boston so far this season, he averaged 20 points, 13 rebounds, and 6.5 assists while shooting 36.1% from the field and 31.3% from beyond the arc.  I really have no idea who will start at the four for Boston. 

Sam Hauser vs Brandon Miller
vs
Miller is averaging 17.4 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game.  He is shooting 44% from the field and 37.4% from beyond the arc. Against Boston this season, he averaged 14 points, 6  rebounds, 3 assists and 1.5 steals while shooting 40.7% from the field and 40% from beyond the arc.   Who knows who will start here.  If Tatum could start at the point, I'm not eliminating anything.

Honorable Mention

Luke Kornet vs Grant Williams 
Williams is averaging 10.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game.  He is shooting 45.6% from the field and 37.5% from beyond the arc.  Against the Celtics this season, he averaged 12.5 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists, while shooting 52.4% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc.

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always a key to winning. It was a lack of defense that lost the 2 games against Atlanta and it was good defense that got them back on track against the Pelicans.  It was also a lack of defense (and rebounding) that lost the games against the Bucks and Knicks.   The Celtics are 2nd with a defensive rating of 110.6. The Hornets are 29th with a defensive rating of 119.2.   The Celtics need to especially guard the Hornets in the paint and the mid-range. 

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball, and the best way to get the ball is the grab rebounds.  The Celtics are 2nd in the league with 46.2 rebounds per game while the Hornets are last with 40.3 rebounds per game.  The Celtics need to put out extra effort on the boards and when they do, that effort usually translates to the rest of their game.  They can't allow the Hornets to out rebound them as they did the Bucks and the Knicks. 

Next Man Up - It's a given that some of the starters will be out this game and so the stay ready group needs to be ready to step up once again in their place. Some of them will need to start and others will need to come in and play extra minutes because of the Celtics being short handed. They all need to play hard and to stay focused on both ends of the court.

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team. They have to be more aggressive in going after loose balls, in grabbing rebounds, in defending, and in going to the basket. They need to hustle and be aggressive for 48 minutes every game.  For the last 2 games, the starters have seemed to be complacent and weren't the more aggressive team.  However, the reserves came in at the end of Thursday's game and were pressing and were more aggressive and almost pulled out the game.  They can win a lot of games by playing harder than their opponents and they can lose a lot of games by allowing their opponents to be the team that plays harder.

X-Factors
Home Game  and Purpose- The Celtics are playing in their 2nd straight home game while the Hornets are playing in their 2nd straight game on the road.  The Celtics should get a boost from the home crowd and from being in the friendly confines of the TD Garden.  The Hornets have to deal with all the distractions that come with playing on the road.  In the last 2 games the Celtics had little to play for while their opponents were playing for their playoff position.  In this game, neither team has anything to play for. 

Officiating - Officiating is always an x-factor.  Sometimes you don't even notice the refs but other times, they very clearly make their presence known.  Every crew calls the game differently and players never know what to expect.  Sometimes they call it tight with a foul for every little bit of contact.  Sometimes they let the teams play and allow them to be physical and call no fouls the whole game.  Players need to adjust to how the game is being called and not allow the officiating to take their focus off of playing their game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:31:04 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Hornets (20-60) at Celtics (62-18) Game #81 4/12/24
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 11:14:50 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Let's go Cs and play the bench.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 11:15:04 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to   Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Hornets!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:23 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Thanks FLCeltsFan for another game thread and the TP, and a TP back at you.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 04:35:39 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
please joe, play the bench. i cant take watching the starters go through the motions again

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 12:07:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
please joe, play the bench. i cant take watching the starters go through the motions again

Am I wrong that NBA rules requires playing healthy stars?  I think the limit is resting one. They can play shorter minutes though.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 12:14:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!
Have a feeling today's the day the entire team is pretty much out. Then on Sunday, maybe most of them only play about 10-15 minutes then are benched in the 2nd half, since there is a week off until the playoffs so they don't want to get too rusty either.

Personally though I'd just sit all our starters + Horford the next two games period. If this is the effort level from the starters over the past week then I don't think it matters. Let the bench get some run, there's a good chance most of them won't even play much in the postseason anyways. So it won't kill them to play 35-40+ minutes
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 12:59:29 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
It is a back to back tonight so I get seeing major resting for this game.  Sunday though, I would like to see all the starters in there.  Not necessarily the whole game, but enough so that they feel like they have played together.  If someone gets hurt, so be it.  You can get hurt in practice or the first playoff game.  The last couple of weeks have been pretty easy on everyone and everyone gets a week of rest after Sunday.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Am I wrong that NBA rules requires playing healthy stars?  I think the limit is resting one. They can play shorter minutes though.

They're all on the injury report so can't deem them 'healthy'

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 02:43:26 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
we need a win.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 03:24:54 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 06:06:02 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics will be without their top six players on Friday night as they face off again the Hornets at TD Garden. Boston announced they had downgraded six players from questionable to out including Jaylen Brown (left hand sprain), Jayson Tatum (right knee contusion), Jrue Holiday (left patella tendinopathy), Al Horford (left big toe sprain), Kristaps Porzingis (right hamstring injury management) and Derrick White (left ankle sprain) for the contest.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 06:11:02 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!
Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics will be without their top six players on Friday night as they face off again the Hornets at TD Garden. Boston announced they had downgraded six players from questionable to out including Jaylen Brown (left hand sprain), Jayson Tatum (right knee contusion), Jrue Holiday (left patella tendinopathy), Al Horford (left big toe sprain), Kristaps Porzingis (right hamstring injury management) and Derrick White (left ankle sprain) for the contest.

Our entire sideline tonight:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 07:38:02 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
GAME TIME!

Deep bench time!!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 07:38:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Well I want a win even if all the starters sit.   FastPP, Sam, Tilman, Luke, Oshae can get this win!!!