Author Topic: Lakers promise Mitchell Robinson  (Read 3691 times)

Lakers promise Mitchell Robinson
« on: May 20, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Many here have discussed the possibility of the Celtics drafting Mitchell Robinson.  He is an incredible athlete and I personally was open to the idea of the Celtics taking him at 27.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777000-lakers-2018-nba-draft-rumors-mitchell-robinson-receives-a-promise-from-la

Chandler Hutchison also has a promise.  His is from the Bulls at number 22.

Now we know that these two players aren’t going to be available when the Celtics are on the clock at pick 27.

Re: Lakers promise Mitchell Robinson
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Good, centers like him are a dying breed

I want a guard like Donte or Grayson Allen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Many here have discussed the possibility of the Celtics drafting Mitchell Robinson.  He is an incredible athlete and I personally was open to the idea of the Celtics taking him at 27.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777000-lakers-2018-nba-draft-rumors-mitchell-robinson-receives-a-promise-from-la

Chandler Hutchison also has a promise.  His is from the Bulls at number 22.

Now we know that these two players aren’t going to be available when the Celtics are on the clock at pick 27.

I think The Celtics easily can jump The Lakers in the draft. we only have to jump down to 24. With Portland's cap they might want to try and dump the pick for a future 1st.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Donte or Allen would be great next to smart coming off the bench. I prefer Donte, Allen can be a little cheap at times.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Grayson Allen would be perfect in this Cavs series to deal with JR Smith. I am really surprised how well Allen tested athletically.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:13:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'll never understand as to why teams let this stuff become public. It's just dumb, imo.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Grayson Allen would be perfect in this Cavs series to deal with JR Smith. I am really surprised how well Allen tested athletically.

Grayson Allen is almost too good to be true - how the heck did this guy test out so well in the combine? I don't know too much about him besides all the cheap stuff he did in 2016-17, but he's not the kind of player who is usually among the top athletes in a given draft.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:59:21 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Grayson Allen reminds me of DA. He's taken a back seat the last couple of years to top prospects in the country, that Duke had landed, but he can play. Look at his sophomore season. It was no fluke. Think DA would draft a lesser version of himself that late in the draft? Hmmm....

I've also seen/heard of pre-draft promises not come to fruition. It could be smokescreens. In the case of Hutchinson, he should be there when the Bulls pick. Robinson might not make it out of the top 20. In this draft, once you get out of the lottery, it's a lot of the same level players. It'll get wild after the top 14 go off the board.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 04:59:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Allen has regressed the last couple of seasons. That does not bode well.

I like Robinson although I think he has a lot of risk obviously.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

His junior year he ran into some personal issues, on and off and on the court.
This past year Duke added Bagley, Carter, Trent Jr. and Duval, who mostly ran the point for a while. Yeah, I'd say his stats regressed but he didn't play all that bad. It's possible that all 4 of those kids will get drafted before Allen. Doesn't make it so that he's not a first round talent. That late in the draft you run into the JJJ's and Fab Melo's of the world. This draft is mostly deep in back court, once you get out of the lottery, and some swing players though.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Regressed?  His FT% was at a career high his senior year.  His assists were also his highest.  His assist/TO ratio was by FAR the best of his college career.  His steals were his highest as well.

Up from last year:  points, three point percentage, overall shooting percentage, FT %, assists, assist/TO ratio, and his turnovers were down.

I do NOT see the regression you speak of.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3135045/grayson-allen

I agree with the poster that stated that his stats were down from his sophomore year because of the talent around him.

Smitty77

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll never understand as to why teams let this stuff become public. It's just dumb, imo.

What are the chances it’s accurate?

A lot of the rumored promises last year were garbage.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Being that next year the Celtics will be truly competing for a championship,  Allen strikes me as the exact type of player to draft late in the first round.  Outside of the younger prospects that typically dominate the top of the draft, if you're the type of team competing for a championship and you've already got young talent, then a guy like Allen who spent many years in college and played at a high level and has shown serious grit (much like Smart) then you take a guy like that.  He's the perfect player to fill out the end of a bench.  He'll also have good connections with players like Kyrie and Tatum being Duke alums (and Tatum's teammate)

Additionally, he showed very good athletic ability overall in the combine, not to mention he's got a freakish wingspan for a guard (which Ainge has shown a huge love for)

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Regressed?  His FT% was at a career high his senior year.  His assists were also his highest.  His assist/TO ratio was by FAR the best of his college career.  His steals were his highest as well.

Up from last year:  points, three point percentage, overall shooting percentage, FT %, assists, assist/TO ratio, and his turnovers were down.

I do NOT see the regression you speak of.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3135045/grayson-allen

I agree with the poster that stated that his stats were down from his sophomore year because of the talent around him.

Smitty77

He only scored 7PPG inside the arc his senior year while barely ever leaving the floor. Saying it's because freshmen stole all his touches doesn't bode well for a guy who's supposed to be a 1st round talent.

DOWN from sophomore year:

* FG%
* 3PT%
* FTA (by half)
* Rebounds
* 2PT (by half)

If anything he regressed badly his junior year, and then was up a slight tick senior year.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

What are the chances it’s accurate?

A lot of the rumored promises last year were garbage.

You're probably right in that they could all be smokescreens, but I just don't think that it's a good idea to advertise stuff like this. Didn't Boston once promise Reggie Jackson that they'd take him in 2011, only for OKC to swoop in and select, well, him, instead? Granted, that's probably not the reason as to why Presti opted to draft Jackson, but I just think that, overall, the practice is in poor taste.