Poll

Be Honest. Where Do You Think Hayward Goes In Free Agency?

Stays With Utah
25 (25.3%)
Goes To Miami
3 (3%)
Goes To Boston
70 (70.7%)
Goes To Another Team (Surprisingly)
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: Gordon Hayward To Meet With Jazz, Heat, And Celtics In Coming Week  (Read 37839 times)

Re: Gordon Hayward To Meet With Jazz, Heat, And Celtics In Coming Week
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The thing is people are quick to forget that Hayward tried leaving before; to the Hornets, and the Jazz matched his offer. He was already trying to leave, and was already on his way out, but I feel like the damage has been done. Yes, Jazz have tried to implement a more definitive scheme by bringing in more stronger players, but the Jazz doesn't really have that much flexibility, money, or the FO to pull off any drastic blockbuster moves.

Jazz is destined to end up as a top 3-5 seed next year, with plenty of regressions from playoff bound teams that are getting relegated to the lottery.

Thing is I'm not 100% convinced Hayward is going to stay in Jazz. He loves the city, he loves the people, but does he really believe the Jazz have a great future ahead of themselves?

We've seen what happens when teams don't give their franchise/Allstar players the love they deserve.

We've seen it  firsthand, what happens when Love was not given the designated player max, and Rubio was instead.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Better schools and museums in Boston, you know, for kids!

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Just read this on ESPN that Danny's son is trying to undermine his Dad & the Celtics over Hayward...

Tanner Ainge tweets Gordon Hayward about possible 'millionaire's tax' in Massachusetts

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19767673/ainge-family-public-tug-war-gordon-hayward

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Just read this on ESPN that Danny's son is trying to undermine his Dad & the Celtics over Hayward...

Tanner Ainge tweets Gordon Hayward about possible 'millionaire's tax' in Massachusetts

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19767673/ainge-family-public-tug-war-gordon-hayward

I can imagine the phone call between father and son.  :P
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
hi, let me introduce myself. i am an enormously lazy poster who is about to ask an unreasonable favor of folks on cb who are more motivated, better informed, and hopefully not easily irked by lazy folks....such as me.  ;D

what if the deal for george falls through (prichard does have a history of trying to "win" trades, and may not move off asking for the moon)?

would the celtics be able to clear salary space to sign both hayward and griffin?

i am sure somewhere buried in the labyrinths of past threads this might have been addressed. but my poor searching skills combined with my laziness have not turned them up.

thanks in advance and tps galore for any help here.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

are we to assume that hayward's agent was unaware of this tax?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I do not know but this is obviously a big blow and a strike against us with every free agent in every sport.

« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
would the celtics be able to clear salary space to sign both hayward and griffin?

No.  George and Hayward OR George and Griffin are only possible because George would come through a trade.  But Hayward and Griffin would be free agent signings, which means you need that much cap space to do them.

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I do not know but this is obviously a big blow and a strike against us with every free agent in every sport.
There is an easy solution for Gordon Hayward to play for the Celtics. Move to very southern New Hampshire where there is no State Income or Sales Tax and about a 35-40 minute drive to work (he won't be doing it during rush hour).

« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I really cannot believe that at player who is about to sign 30m per year contract will choose his destination based on the 1.5 less on state tax and not based to the best chances to compete

If that is the case then i ll be happy if we don't get this kind of player
1.5 million dollars a year is an awful lot of money.  I mean OKC gave up on James Harden for less than that per year.  This notion that money isn't a factor is silly.  Money is a large factor in everything.  Sports are a business.  Period. 

And no one is suggesting that Hayward would choose Miami because he could save money (I mean he could stay in Utah and make it up by signing a contract with bigger raises and adding the year), but money could certainly give a team an edge over a different team.  I mean if he basically thinks Boston and Miami are close to equal, then the extra 1.5 - 2 million a year, probably is the difference.

I would kill for this kind of money. And 99% of the people would as well. BUT...

If you earn 200 million in your career, this is a tiny portion. So I don't think it should be any kind of factor.

Since the NBA is a multi state league, I'd actually like to see the NBA (and all sports, actually) pool all salary money and retain an average income tax that the league pays on behalf of all its players. In other words, the players would be signing for contracts for non-taxable income, because the league held onto the balance, and paid it out to each state from the league savings, to cover the different state income taxes. Not to get the players paid more, so their salaries would go down to make up the difference, but so that players didn't have to weigh different state income taxes and didn't have to budget for being traded from Texas to LA for example.

But it makes too much sense and would take some math, so it won't happen.

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2017, 03:44:16 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
It's actually an international league where everyone has to pay both US federal and Canadian federal taxes on top of over a dozen states, Ontario and D.C.

CPA's must love NBA players (MLB, NHL, and football players too.)

« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

No.  George and Hayward OR George and Griffin are only possible because George would come through a trade.  But Hayward and Griffin would be free agent signings, which means you need that much cap space to do them.

No, I actually do think it's doable to sign one of them via free agency and do a sign-and-trade for the other. However, it's much less beneficial to us than completing a trade for George, because we'd have to add much more salary to make it work with their additional 10+ million in salary, meaning more than likely one of Tatum or Brown and perhaps even Smart goes in a sign-and-trade for someone like Griffin/Hayward.

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

There is an easy solution for Gordon Hayward to play for the Celtics. Move to very southern New Hampshire where there is no State Income or Sales Tax and about a 35-40 minute drive to work (he won't be doing it during rush hour).
If you earn money in Massachusetts, you are subject to income taxes here, no matter where you live

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am guessing Boston meets with him Sunday:

Marc Stein‏Verified account @ESPNSteinLine  1m1 minute ago
More
 League sources confirm Miami/Boston/Utah is indeed the order on visits Hayward has scheduled once free agency starts Saturday at 12:01 AM ET

« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
I am guessing Boston meets with him Sunday:

Marc Stein‏Verified account @ESPNSteinLine  1m1 minute ago
More
 League sources confirm Miami/Boston/Utah is indeed the order on visits Hayward has scheduled once free agency starts Saturday at 12:01 AM ET

TP for the update.

That's fine for me, because if it was on Tuesday, I would feel this drags out and I tend to agree with others who have the issue that, in that 4 day period, while we wait for Hayward's decision, other potential FA targets could get scooped up.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller