Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71889 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2019, 10:32:55 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jay King brought up Markieff Morris as an option, and honestly, it's not that bad of an idea given that Boston has limited options financially.

He can play the 4/5, has been excellent shooting from three this season - shooting 41 percent on 4.3 attempts a game - and should bring similar tenacity that Mook did when he was in Boston. He's been productive on a really crappy Pistons team, so odds are, he'll probably be available.

That depends if Marcus Morris will be happy if his twin will join the Celts.

Marcus Morris was really upset with the way the Celts treated him in free-agency last summer.

But yeah, it's plausible Markieff is an option for the Cs.

« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Jay King brought up Markieff Morris as an option, and honestly, it's not that bad of an idea given that Boston has limited options financially.

He can play the 4/5, has been excellent shooting from three this season - shooting 41 percent on 4.3 attempts a game - and should bring similar tenacity that Mook did when he was in Boston. He's been productive on a really crappy Pistons team, so odds are, he'll probably be available.

Marcus Morris was really upset with the way the Celts treated him in free-agency last summer.

I'm pretty sure that however Marcus feels about his brother potentially joining the Celtics will impact absolutely nothing. I could be wrong, but I think what Marcus wants for his brother above all is having as much success as possible in the NBA no matter who that is with.

« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'm pretty sure that however Marcus feels about his brother potentially joining the Celtics will impact absolutely nothing. I could be wrong, but I think what Marcus wants for his brother above all is having as much success as possible in the NBA no matter who that is with.

The Morris twins are very close.

It will be a case of why will you go to the Celts after what they did to me.

« Reply #303 on: December 23, 2019, 10:48:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Because he (hypothetically) was traded there and has no say in the matter.

They both understand that this is part of the business. Mook even said so when he talked about free agency earlier this season.

« Reply #304 on: December 23, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
According to nick, the Celts could feel that adding a guy like WCS, Noel, or Poeltl won't make a difference against the likes of Embiid and Giannis.

Here is what I actually said:

It was reported the Celts were trying to trade up to #4 to pick Darius Garland.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-celtics-eyeing-trade-no-4-pick-take-darius-garland

After the Celts couldn't land the #4 pick, they wanted Tyler Herro.

When Herro wasn't available, the Celts just drafted the player they think is the best that's available.

The Celts were also in the hunt for Anthony Davis at that time.

Drafting Romeo was really weird because the Celts have lots of wing players.

Maybe Romeo was to be a part of that Anthony Davis trade to Boston that never happened.

And if it's true that the Celts are unwilling to part with any of the core 5, it could be Romeo that would end up as trade bait.
Is he trade bait? Someone has to move for a big if want to compete this year. But what is out there. WCS is an option since GSW is out and he signed to the cheap. Maybe Carsen and a second gets it done.
I am hopeful Robert Williams gets back and continues down a growth path like Capela. I am also hopeful on Tacko being able to give us 10 minutes again in the playoffs.
 I unfortunately see next year being our year to make the finals with no trade this year. Romeo should be kept till the summer incase Gordon does leave. He looks like a player to me with those long arms. Time will tell. Kemba in the playoffs will be special.IMO

Celts really have a chance to make it to the Finals this season.

The only obstacle is the Bucks.

Philly becomes an obstacle if the Celts don't make a trade this year.
Celts just need to make a minor move like Poeltl, Noel, or WCS.

Adding another big that can help contain Embiid and Giannis will increase the Celts' chances of making it to the Finals in June.

So why pass on an opportunity to win it all this season?
There is also the very, very real possibility that Brad Stevens, Danny Ainge, the Celtics scouting department and ownership do not feel that adding a third string center, which all the guys you mentioned would be on this team, is going to be enough to make any difference against superstar, MVP quality opposition. None of those guys are going to do any better a job on the Embiid's, Giannis's, Davis's, and others than Theis and/or Kanter.

« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2019, 11:09:05 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Because he (hypothetically) was traded there and has no say in the matter.

They both understand that this is part of the business. Mook even said so when he talked about free agency earlier this season.

If that's the case then I have no objections about Markieff Morris becoming a part of the Celts.

He's clearly an upgrade over Ojeleye.

« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2019, 11:09:48 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
According to nick, the Celts could feel that adding a guy like WCS, Noel, or Poeltl won't make a difference against the likes of Embiid and Giannis.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-celtics-eyeing-trade-no-4-pick-take-darius-garland

When Herro wasn't available, the Celts just drafted the player they think is the best that's available.

Maybe Romeo was to be a part of that Anthony Davis trade to Boston that never happened.

And if it's true that the Celts are unwilling to part with any of the core 5, it could be Romeo that would end up as trade bait.
Is he trade bait? Someone has to move for a big if want to compete this year. But what is out there. WCS is an option since GSW is out and he signed to the cheap. Maybe Carsen and a second gets it done.
I am hopeful Robert Williams gets back and continues down a growth path like Capela. I am also hopeful on Tacko being able to give us 10 minutes again in the playoffs.
 I unfortunately see next year being our year to make the finals with no trade this year. Romeo should be kept till the summer incase Gordon does leave. He looks like a player to me with those long arms. Time will tell. Kemba in the playoffs will be special.IMO

Adding another big that can help contain Embiid and Giannis will increase the Celts' chances of making it to the Finals in June.

There is also the very, very real possibility that Brad Stevens, Danny Ainge, the Celtics scouting department and ownership do not feel that adding a third string center, which all the guys you mentioned would be on this team, is going to be enough to make any difference against superstar, MVP quality opposition. None of those guys are going to do any better a job on the Embiid's, Giannis's, Davis's, and others than Theis and/or Kanter.

The Centers I mentioned are not 3rd string.

WCS is averaging 22.9 minutes per game.

Noel is averaging 18.6 mpg.

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:26:12 PM by Fierce1 »

« Reply #307 on: December 24, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.
I don't know that any of those guys are better for this team than Theis or Kanter, so they'd be 3rd string guys for us anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #308 on: December 24, 2019, 01:51:18 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.
I don't know that any of those guys are better for this team than Theis or Kanter, so they'd be 3rd string guys for us anyway

If the Celts are facing teams like Miami and Toronto, they don't need any of those 3 I mentioned.

But against bigger teams, those 3 are better than Theis and Kanter on defense.

Noel, Poeltl, and WCS are all 7-footers, or close to being a 7-footer.
Opposing bigs will have a harder time scoring against them or jumping over them.

The price to pay is only a draft pick and maybe Poirier to make salaries match.

« Reply #309 on: December 24, 2019, 02:03:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.

If the Celts are facing teams like Miami and Toronto, they don't need any of those 3 I mentioned.

Opposing bigs will have a harder time scoring against them or jumping over them.

Well if we are talking size and defense VP is 7' and did win DPOY in his league. VP is dealing with a longer learning curve like most foreign players plus he had an injury. Feel giving up on him this fast along with a pick isn't good, for those guys at least.

« Reply #310 on: December 24, 2019, 02:03:37 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Let's not forget that back in 2018, the Celts dominated the Sixers in the playoffs.

The Celts didn't need to double Embiid because Horford could handle Embiid 1 on 1.

This season the Celts are giving up a lot of open 3s because they're double teaming a lot inside.

« Reply #311 on: December 24, 2019, 02:06:42 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.

Well if we are talking size and defense VP is 7' and did win DPOY in his league. VP is dealing with a longer learning curve like most foreign players plus he had an injury. Feel giving up on him this fast along with a pick isn't good, for those guys at least.

The Euro game is different.

There is no defensive 3-second rule.

Poirier could just stay in the paint and protect the rim.

So it's a totally different league.

In the FIBA World Cup, Poirier didn't play a single minute against Team USA.
I mean Gobert had to rest at some point, so why didn't the coach of France use Poirier.
I think that says a lot about Poirier capabilities.

« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2019, 02:11:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.

I mean Gobert had to rest at some point, so why didn't the coach of France use Poirier.
USA went small so France did not opt for VP.

And euroleague probably has more of perimeter playing style than the NBA.

Give VP a chance before we talk dealing him.

« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2019, 02:30:28 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.

Among the 4 Celtic bigs, I would rather keep RWill, Theis, and Kanter.

If this was a rebuilding year, I think there's no harm in keeping VP for another year.
But Celts really have a shot at making the Finals this season.

It's just not practical to say "just wait for next season" because we will never know what will happen next season.
Just like Hayward only playing 5 minutes the whole 2017-18 season.

Right now the Celts are looking like contenders.
The Celts should do everything they can to make sure the team will have the best chance of winning heading into the playoffs.

Ainge gambled on Kyrie by giving up the 2018 lottery pick for a chance to win now.

I don't think losing the Bucks' 2020 pick is a big price to pay for a minor upgrade that would make the Celts better defensively in the playoffs.

« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2019, 02:38:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

And Poeltl 18.4 mpg.

Among the 4 Celtic bigs, I would rather keep RWill, Theis, and Kanter.

If this was a rebuilding year, I think there's no harm in keeping VP for another year.
But Celts really have a shot at making the Finals this season.

It's just not practical to say "just wait for next season" because we will never know what will happen next season.
Just like Hayward only playing 5 minutes the whole 2017-18 season.

Right now the Celts are looking like contenders.
The Celts should do everything they can to make sure the team will have the best chance of winning heading into the playoffs.

Ainge gambled on Kyrie by giving up the 2018 lottery pick for a chance to win now.

I don't think losing the Bucks' 2020 pick is a big price to pay for a minor upgrade that would make the Celts better defensively in the playoffs.
C's aren't contenders in my mind, so if its not a bigger upgrade I'm passing.