Author Topic: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...  (Read 21190 times)

Re: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2024, 09:46:09 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Yeah, I clearly missed the intent of your post VG.

We just traded for Xavier Tillman, who is a solid player and I'm happy. Even then, many have said that he won't play that much unless there's an injury. If we go get a veteran, I'd assume that he would get Celtics Blake Griffin minutes and not PJ Brown minutes.

That 08 team traded a bunch of role players that logged minutes to get KG. The 08 Celtics had great talent up front, but needed guys to play serious minutes. I don't see that happening on this squad. Brissett and Svi can't get on the court.

This roster is good to go. No more excuses (Wyc, Joe, refs, popcorn vendors). The players need to play like champions for this to work. So far so good.

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2024, 03:18:35 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Still nothing on Gallinari.  I just checked and he played more than I thought in DET.  6 games, 15 min per, 54%/58%/88% for a shooting slash.  Averaged nearly 9 pts/gm (nearly 21 pts/36min)  That could have been a lot of garbage time, most of the time is garbage time for DET this season.  But that is still decent.  If he could do that for the Celtics even a couple of games in the playoffs, that could make a difference.

I wonder what his priorities are?  Minutes/role?  Shot at a title (ring chase)?  Climate/nightlife?

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2024, 03:40:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Still nothing on Gallinari.  I just checked and he played more than I thought in DET.  6 games, 15 min per, 54%/58%/88% for a shooting slash.  Averaged nearly 9 pts/gm (nearly 21 pts/36min)  That could have been a lot of garbage time, most of the time is garbage time for DET this season.  But that is still decent.  If he could do that for the Celtics even a couple of games in the playoffs, that could make a difference.

I wonder what his priorities are?  Minutes/role?  Shot at a title (ring chase)?  Climate/nightlife?

It shows he can still shoot in garbage time or no..

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2024, 06:41:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

You'd have to think he would be the ideal guy for this last spot if he wants to come here. He had said many times in the last couple of years that his only goal is to compete for a championship. Now we can see if he really means it. I expect that he's weighing his options with various contenders and considering the opportunities for playing time in addition to their odds of winning a title. I'm sure Brad and Joe are interested in him but would be pretty direct about his chances of playing time, or lack thereof. I think if he doesn't come here, I can see Blake Griffin dusting himself off for one more run.

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2024, 06:56:50 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

I saw in X that the Heat have already met with him and have an offer on the table. The fact that he hasn’t signed with them just shows that he’s looking at other options as well. At this point in his career, I would think his priority would be to find a team where he could best win a championship. If no contending team gives him a call, I think he ends up in Miami. Boston, Denver, NY or Phoenix would be nice landing spots for him i think.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 07:09:57 PM by radiohead »

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2024, 06:44:31 AM »

Offline Boss_D

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Chimezie Metu 6' 9" would be fun to watch.
He can operate inside out with good athleticism and rim protection,
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:03:09 AM by Boss_D »

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2024, 07:12:55 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
According to Adam Himmelsbach, the beat reporter for the Cs, Brad is in no rush to fill the 15th spot. It is likely that the spot will be filled before the end of the regular season to maximize the roster before the playoffs, even if it's for a guy that might not play a minute.

League sources have said that the Celtics have no urgency to fill their final roster spot, and that just about every avenue is being considered. They’ve spoken to current free agents, they continue to monitor the buyout market, and they will also consider converting center Neemias Queta’s two-way deal into a standard NBA contract.

A source said that it is all but certain that Boston will fill the spot before the end of the regular season, however. Last year Boston signed wing Justin Champagnie, who was then 21, to a two-year, partially guaranteed deal with just one week left in the regular season. It was essentially a chance to get a look at a potential developmental piece, and that route could be considered later this year, too.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/02/15/sports/whats-up-with-kendrick-perkins-joe-mazzulla-how-will-celtics-fill-roster-can-tatum-win-mvp-by-adam-himmelsbach/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2024, 09:15:33 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
According to Adam Himmelsbach, the beat reporter for the Cs, Brad is in no rush to fill the 15th spot. It is likely that the spot will be filled before the end of the regular season to maximize the roster before the playoffs, even if it's for a guy that might not play a minute.

League sources have said that the Celtics have no urgency to fill their final roster spot, and that just about every avenue is being considered. They’ve spoken to current free agents, they continue to monitor the buyout market, and they will also consider converting center Neemias Queta’s two-way deal into a standard NBA contract.

A source said that it is all but certain that Boston will fill the spot before the end of the regular season, however. Last year Boston signed wing Justin Champagnie, who was then 21, to a two-year, partially guaranteed deal with just one week left in the regular season. It was essentially a chance to get a look at a potential developmental piece, and that route could be considered later this year, too.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/02/15/sports/whats-up-with-kendrick-perkins-joe-mazzulla-how-will-celtics-fill-roster-can-tatum-win-mvp-by-adam-himmelsbach/

I am OK with any of the above.  Gallinari is probably the best vet available in terms of fit and potential contribution, but even he would be unlikely to play much.  We could "promote" Queta which is also fine.  And it would be fine to use the slot on a "prospect".  Justin Champagnie didn't work out for the Celtics but that is how is usually goes.  Some turn out to be Sam Hauser, some Justin Champagnie. 

Right now we have 2 prospects on the regular roster (Walsh and Springer) plus we have Davison and Queta on 2-ways.  We will also have a first and two seconds in the upcoming draft (I believe).  We are actually in pretty good shape with prospects.

And yes, I understand that Gallinari put up his shooting numbers on a bad team in meaningless minutes, but it is still something.  Oladipo piques my interest also but not sure where he is at in terms of health.

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2024, 09:44:29 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

I am OK with any of the above.  Gallinari is probably the best vet available in terms of fit and potential contribution, but even he would be unlikely to play much.  We could "promote" Queta which is also fine.  And it would be fine to use the slot on a "prospect".  Justin Champagnie didn't work out for the Celtics but that is how is usually goes.  Some turn out to be Sam Hauser, some Justin Champagnie. 

Right now we have 2 prospects on the regular roster (Walsh and Springer) plus we have Davison and Queta on 2-ways.  We will also have a first and two seconds in the upcoming draft (I believe).  We are actually in pretty good shape with prospects.

And yes, I understand that Gallinari put up his shooting numbers on a bad team in meaningless minutes, but it is still something.  Oladipo piques my interest also but not sure where he is at in terms of health.

Yup and Gallo has signed with the Bucks. I doubt he will help their defense much though.

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2024, 11:59:40 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Gary Washburn on the Globe wrote this about buyout candidates which I agree with - that most buyout candidates tend to want to play and they want a clear role. That's why they're agreeing to be bought out, so they don't have to sit the bench. We currently don't have any significant minutes to offer any buyout candidate that would move the needle (in fact we have even less than before we traded for Tillman since we have to find minutes for him too). And the last thing we want is some dissatisfied vet sitting on the bench causing issues. Like PJ Tucker.

The Clippers sent forward P.J. Tucker away from the team early for the All-Star break as he continues to stew because he is not playing and wants to be traded. The league fined him $75,000 for his public trade demand and he’s likely ruining any possibility of playing for a contender elsewhere because of his attitude with the winning Clippers. The way most teams view it, if the soon-to-be 39-year-old Tucker is publicly unhappy on a championship-caliber team, how is he going to cope when he doesn’t play his desired minutes on another contender?

Tucker won’t accept a buyout because he has a player option for next season on the three-year deal he signed with the 76ers in the summer of 2022. The 76ers sent him to the Clippers in the Harden deal and Tucker has been out of the rotation since arriving in Los Angeles, with coach Tyronn Lue playing veterans such as former Celtic Daniel Theis in the frontcourt. The Clippers also sent former Nugget Bones Hyland, also disgruntled because he’s out of the rotation, away early.

The Clippers’ situation is why Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens is so wary of bringing in just any veteran through buyout because generally buyout players want to play significant minutes with a defined role. They don’t want to be cheerleaders, and if they are, they could become distractions. Teams have a few weeks to assess buyout candidates as players have until March 1 to be waived and still be eligible for a playoff roster. The Celtics could also use that roster spot to convert Neemias Queta’s contract to a standard NBA deal.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/02/17/sports/sunday-basketball-notes-celtics-charles-barkley/

I would be amazed if that last roster spot doesn't go to Queta. When you're looking for this type of marginal addition it's all about the fit. Risking chemistry for someone that might sit the bench and be brought out here and there is probably not worth it for this year's team. Can't just look at the stats and assume the fit will be perfect, as not all these vets are as unselfish or lacking in ego as someone like Blake Griffin.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2024, 12:17:34 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Gary Washburn on the Globe wrote this about buyout candidates which I agree with - that most buyout candidates tend to want to play and they want a clear role. That's why they're agreeing to be bought out, so they don't have to sit the bench. We currently don't have any significant minutes to offer any buyout candidate that would move the needle (in fact we have even less than before we traded for Tillman since we have to find minutes for him too). And the last thing we want is some dissatisfied vet sitting on the bench causing issues. Like PJ Tucker.

The Clippers sent forward P.J. Tucker away from the team early for the All-Star break as he continues to stew because he is not playing and wants to be traded. The league fined him $75,000 for his public trade demand and he’s likely ruining any possibility of playing for a contender elsewhere because of his attitude with the winning Clippers. The way most teams view it, if the soon-to-be 39-year-old Tucker is publicly unhappy on a championship-caliber team, how is he going to cope when he doesn’t play his desired minutes on another contender?

Tucker won’t accept a buyout because he has a player option for next season on the three-year deal he signed with the 76ers in the summer of 2022. The 76ers sent him to the Clippers in the Harden deal and Tucker has been out of the rotation since arriving in Los Angeles, with coach Tyronn Lue playing veterans such as former Celtic Daniel Theis in the frontcourt. The Clippers also sent former Nugget Bones Hyland, also disgruntled because he’s out of the rotation, away early.

The Clippers’ situation is why Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens is so wary of bringing in just any veteran through buyout because generally buyout players want to play significant minutes with a defined role. They don’t want to be cheerleaders, and if they are, they could become distractions. Teams have a few weeks to assess buyout candidates as players have until March 1 to be waived and still be eligible for a playoff roster. The Celtics could also use that roster spot to convert Neemias Queta’s contract to a standard NBA deal.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/02/17/sports/sunday-basketball-notes-celtics-charles-barkley/

I would be amazed if that last roster spot doesn't go to Queta. When you're looking for this type of marginal addition it's all about the fit. Risking chemistry for someone that might sit the bench and be brought out here and there is probably not worth it for this year's team. Can't just look at the stats and assume the fit will be perfect, as not all these vets are as unselfish or lacking in ego as someone like Blake Griffin.

I also think Queta is the most likely, for all of the above reasons, with the other possibility being the player you mentioned at the very end — Blake Griffin.  The Celtics did try to bring him back for the year, and his body wasn’t up for the grind, but maybe he could make it for the final month plus the playoffs.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2024, 10:32:45 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston's roster is set. Queta gets the last spot, Tillman finally plays and the Celtics push forward the last 30 some games.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2024, 11:12:26 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I think people need to realize that even with buyout markets, guys are still searching for minutes and opportunities. I'm sure Brad has tried but he obviously can't just promise guys 10+ minutes a game for sure. I mean they traded for Muscala last season and after the Break it felt like he barely even played. It's good for injury insurance but even then I think fortunately we're pretty loaded. You can do a lot worse than Kornet/Queta as a 4th big (assuming Tillman is now the 3rd one)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2024, 04:03:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
A list of available free agents:

• Furkan Korkmaz
• Ish Smith
• Robin Lopez
• Kevin Knox
• Danuel House
• Cory Joseph
• Danny Green
• Joe Harris- I think he made too much for us to sign him...
• Juan Toscano-Anderson
• Chimezie Metu
• Frank Ntilikina

Slim pickings...

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2024, 04:48:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
A list of available free agents:

• Furkan Korkmaz
• Ish Smith
• Robin Lopez
• Kevin Knox
• Danuel House
• Cory Joseph
• Danny Green
• Joe Harris- I think he made too much for us to sign him...
• Juan Toscano-Anderson
• Chimezie Metu
• Frank Ntilikina

Slim pickings...
Among that list, I think Danny Green is the only one with NBA Finals experience.