Poll

If AD agrees to be here 3 years, is that enough to make the trade including Tatum & Smart?

Yes
27 (65.9%)
No
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Poll: If AD says he will be here but only 3 years total, do you do trade or not?  (Read 4764 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Three years down the road is too far to even bother thinking about. If AD agrees to sign a new contract you go  get him !!

When is the soonest this signing could take place? 
edit: nevermind...misunderstood the thread.

As someone else said:  yes if he might stay longer.....no if he's definitely gone after 3 (unless he lets us trade him during that third year).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:49:10 PM by wiley »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I think Tatum will be the best player we've had since Larry Bird. So, no, I'm not trading him for 3 years of Davis, even if it meant a title.
I think Tatum's just too good to give up. 

Now, if it's 3 years of signing him and then he'll consider whether or not to sign a 5 year deal, then that's a different story. Then, Ainge would have a difficult decision to make.

I wouldn't want to be in Danny Ainge's shoes on this decision. IMO, the Pelicans have one goal in an Anthony Davis trade, and that's to extract Jayson Tatum away from the Celtics in any way they can. They might have been trolling the Lakers, but in reality, what they were saying was 'we don't want your crap players, and you have no picks'.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Tatum will be the best player we've had since Larry Bird. So, no, I'm not trading him for 3 years of Davis, even if it meant a title.
I think Tatum's just too good to give up. 

Now, if it's 3 years of signing him and then he'll consider whether or not to sign a 5 year deal, then that's a different story. Then, Ainge would have a difficult decision to make.

I wouldn't want to be in Danny Ainge's shoes on this decision. IMO, the Pelicans have one goal in an Anthony Davis trade, and that's to extract Jayson Tatum away from the Celtics in any way they can. They might have been trolling the Lakers, but in reality, what they were saying was 'we don't want your crap players, and you have no picks'.

Coming from a fellow Tatum fan, if I had a choice between keeping him or 3 years of Davis and at least 1 championship, I go with the latter and it's not even close (IMO.)

To me, winning a championship(s) comes first above any certain player.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
How is it that the Warriors built their "Super Team" ?

By drafting and letting very good players develop into great players that grew together as a unit, which resulted in the rare combination of a team of all-stars who have gelled into a complimentary group. They did that before Durant signed on.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
as others have said, if it's 3 for sure and then re-evaluate. probably.  if it's 3 and he's out no matter what, probably not, certainly not with Smart.  the idea of trading Tatum for him is that AD will resign with us under a contract for with real commitment, not the cut-and-run 1-and-1 proposed.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
3 years of an MVP candidate? Absolutely.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

By drafting and letting very good players develop into great players that grew together as a unit, which resulted in the rare combination of a team of all-stars who have gelled into a complimentary group. They did that before Durant signed on.
I think you’re correct ... pacers used a similar formula when they signed David west and started to dominate non LeBron teams..
One has to wonder if we can do that same move
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:03:17 PM by NKY fan »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I’m in the keep Tatum camp. I believe he is the next coming of Paul pierce and can take the Celtics to the top. He just needs the right teammates around him. Imagine having garnet and Allen 5 years before they came to the Celtics .
With that being said I sneaked on the pelicans forums and a good number of the fans are calling Davis mr softie and that he disappears against tough teams... looks like Embiid absolutely dominated him as well...they also were saying how he’s not an alpha dog (which is fine he doesn’t have to be here if Tatum stays )
It also makes sense that Lebron wants him so bad... he’s a better and more obedient version of Kevin love

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

They weren’t nearly as formidable before Durant arrived. Sure, they won 70+ games, but they also choked away a 3-1 Finals lead to LeBron and Kyrie.

Now with Durant they’re up there with the all time legendary dynasties. I don’t think they would’ve been able to do that before KD
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
In a NY sec.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yes. Kyrie is borderline top 10 in the league. AD is borderline top 3. That's enough time to put a team around him to entice him to stay.

Eventually, I think the top players are going to want to be able to make personnel decisions like Lebron has. I know I would want to handpick my friends (who are also the best in the world) to hang out with for a couple of years.

I'm curious to see if this trend continues, and whether Danny ends up caving to get a top 5 player.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Yes. Kyrie is borderline top 10 in the league. AD is borderline top 3. That's enough time to put a team around him to entice him to stay.

Eventually, I think the top players are going to want to be able to make personnel decisions like Lebron has. I know I would want to handpick my friends (who are also the best in the world) to hang out with for a couple of years.

I'm curious to see if this trend continues, and whether Danny ends up caving to get a top 5 player.
Borderline top3 is absolute lunacy at this point.
Lebron , Kawhi, giannis , Durant and Curry are all more impactful than him. You can also argue that guys like harden , oladipo and George and butler singlehandedly drag their teams to the playoffs year after year.... what has Davis achieved so far?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Lebron , Kawhi, giannis , Durant and Curry are all more impactful than him. You can also argue that guys like harden , oladipo and George and butler singlehandedly drag their teams to the playoffs year after year.... what has Davis achieved so far?
Lol. This isn't really true. Put those guys under the worst coach with one of the worst GM's in the league (Solomon Hill contract, trading for Asik, missing on draft picks, building imbalanced teams with no wings) and you get Anthony Davis. Kevin Garnett had better players surrounding him (Szczerbiak, Billups, Brandon) than AD has (besides Jrue) and it took him until he was 27 to even make it out of the first round of the playoffs, which was when he had Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell.

Anthony Davis is averaging 28-13-4-2.5-1.6 on splits of 51/32/81. He's a 3 time All-NBA First team player, 6 time All-Star, 1 time All-Defence 1st team, 2 time All-Defence 2nd team, 3 time Block Champion, All-Star Game MVP and NCAA Champ.

Calling someone that is routinely voted as a top 5 player in the league "borderline top 3" is hilariously far from lunacy. Nonsense.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I’m in the keep Tatum camp. I believe he is the next coming of Paul pierce and can take the Celtics to the top. He just needs the right teammates around him. Imagine having garnet and Allen 5 years before they came to the Celtics .
With that being said I sneaked on the pelicans forums and a good number of the fans are calling Davis mr softie and that he disappears against tough teams... looks like Embiid absolutely dominated him as well...they also were saying how he’s not an alpha dog (which is fine he doesn’t have to be here if Tatum stays )
It also makes sense that Lebron wants him so bad... he’s a better and more obedient version of Kevin love

I wouldn't exactly call Pelicans fans objective right now, considering how Davis wants to be traded from the team they support.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Lol. This isn't really true. Put those guys under the worst coach with one of the worst GM's in the league (Solomon Hill contract, trading for Asik, missing on draft picks, building imbalanced teams with no wings) and you get Anthony Davis. Kevin Garnett had better players surrounding him (Szczerbiak, Billups, Brandon) than AD has (besides Jrue) and it took him until he was 27 to even make it out of the first round of the playoffs, which was when he had Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell.

Anthony Davis is averaging 28-13-4-2.5-1.6 on splits of 51/32/81. He's a 3 time All-NBA First team player, 6 time All-Star, 1 time All-Defence 1st team, 2 time All-Defence 2nd team, 3 time Block Champion, All-Star Game MVP and NCAA Champ.

Calling someone that is routinely voted as a top 5 player in the league "borderline top 3" is hilariously far from lunacy. Nonsense.
Those stats are nice. Remind me of the overhyped Kevin love’s stats before he got traded to the cavs.. a big chunk of those stats are meaningless empty stats in not heavily contested games.
I bet if you plug AD on our team and he will average 60% of the above line which will be nice but not top 3 nice.