Author Topic: The Terry Rozier experiment  (Read 3917 times)

The Terry Rozier experiment
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We're officially halfway through the season, and I think it's pretty safe to say that the Terry Rozier experiment off the bench is a complete failure. He is truly a game-killer for our team, and I'm not sure why we've tried to stick it out for this long.

His numbers off the bench are pretty weak, averaging roughly 8PPG, 4RPG and 3APG in 22 minutes. But you need only dive the tiniest bit deeper and look at his shooting percentages (I remind you that these are his stats as a reserve) and you can see a real issue. .376/.353/.744 are his splits. Shooting below 40% from the field is completely inexcusable, and his 2P% is right around 40% for his entire career.

He's established that he can be right around a league average starting point guard. Average scorer, above average rebounder, below average playmaker (but he doesn't turn it over often) and an average defender. The thing is, he has no chance of regularly starting while Kyrie remains on this team barring a serious injury. So his value here is very low.

I know none of this is really news to anyone, but I genuinely think DA has got to move him quickly if we a) want anything in return for him and/or b) want to improve our bench for this post-season. I'm not sure what offers would be floating around for him, but surely there's something.

Do any CelticsStrong posters have any TRoz trade ideas? I'm completely done with his boneheaded play style.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: The Terry Rozier experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
sucks

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:55:26 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Posted this in the game thread.

Phoenix: Rozier

Boston: Troy Daniels, Phoenix 2020 pick (probably protected in some way - 1-5?)

Daniels is an elite shooter, and it would allow Hayward to go back to being the primary playmaker off the bench and get others involved.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:55:35 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kyrie is injury prone and whether we like it or not, TR is an ideal guy to have fill in if we ever need him.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Daniels is an elite shooter, and it would allow Hayward to go back to being the primary playmaker off the bench and get others involved.
I’d love that deal. TP!
Kyrie is injury prone and whether we like it or not, TR is an ideal guy to have fill in if we ever need him.
He really isn’t though. In the 80-90% of games that Kyrie plays Terry sucks. That tradeoff is not ideal at all, as it continues to cost us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

I’d love that deal. TP!
He really isn’t though. In the 80-90% of games that Kyrie plays Terry sucks. That tradeoff is not ideal at all, as it continues to cost us
There is no way you get Daniels and a lightly protected pick like that for Rozier.  If they really wanted him MAYBE Daniels and a late 1st or a 2nd.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:58:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

I’d love that deal. TP!
There is no way you get Daniels and a lightly protected pick like that for Rozier.  If they really wanted him MAYBE Daniels and a late 1st or a 2nd.

You're undervaluing Rozier's perceived value to other teams where he would start, which has been perfectly corroborated this year with him coming off the bench.

A top-5 protected pick is ambitious and unlikely, but I think Daniels and a top-10 to 12 protected pick is perfectly reasonable.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
^Protected 1st does sound good

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
We're officially halfway through the season, and I think it's pretty safe to say that the Terry Rozier experiment off the bench is a complete failure. He is truly a game-killer for our team, and I'm not sure why we've tried to stick it out for this long.

His numbers off the bench are pretty weak, averaging roughly 8PPG, 4RPG and 3APG in 22 minutes. But you need only dive the tiniest bit deeper and look at his shooting percentages (I remind you that these are his stats as a reserve) and you can see a real issue. .376/.353/.744 are his splits. Shooting below 40% from the field is completely inexcusable, and his 2P% is right around 40% for his entire career.

He's established that he can be right around a league average starting point guard. Average scorer, above average rebounder, below average playmaker (but he doesn't turn it over often) and an average defender. The thing is, he has no chance of regularly starting while Kyrie remains on this team barring a serious injury. So his value here is very low.

I know none of this is really news to anyone, but I genuinely think DA has got to move him quickly if we a) want anything in return for him and/or b) want to improve our bench for this post-season. I'm not sure what offers would be floating around for him, but surely there's something.

Do any CelticsStrong posters have any TRoz trade ideas? I'm completely done with his boneheaded play style.

I won't trade anyone until the offseason. We need all potential pieces if a trade for AD is gonna go down.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rozier isn’t worth a 1st rounder, let alone a 1st from a perpetual lottery team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 07:29:13 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I’d love that deal. TP!

You're undervaluing Rozier's perceived value to other teams where he would start, which has been perfectly corroborated this year with him coming off the bench.

A top-5 protected pick is ambitious and unlikely, but I think Daniels and a top-10 to 12 protected pick is perfectly reasonable.

This is quibbling... but lottery protected at best. GMs love the flexibility and potential of picks, and we'd be fortunate to get a lottery pick.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Terrys contract is expiring so now is the time to trade him if we are going to trade him.....which I would like to happen at this point.

I'm not sure his worth tho as he could be a solid starter but contract is up and could walk. Plus no team will probably want him as a backup.(bc he isnt a very good one)

idea #1: I think  Tony Parker would make a great backup PG  but CHA wont want rozier with having Kemba so need a third team.

idea # 2: Ive heard the idea of Poeltl from the Spurs for Rozier. And this makes some sense: Spurs need a PG this year and we could use a Big. Both Poeltl and Rozier have potential to be starters in this league...so have similar value.IMO

idea #3: Is Dwight Howard going to make a comeback this year? Wizards might entertain Rozier starting and make them a playoff team possibly with Wall out. Rozier+Yabu for Howard???

I just don't see a clear solution to scary terry besides trading him but even that seems a challenge

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:54 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Terrys contract is expiring so now is the time to trade him if we are going to trade him.....which I would like to happen at this point.

I'm not sure his worth tho as he could be a solid starter but contract is up and could walk. Plus no team will probably want him as a backup.(bc he isnt a very good one)

idea #1: I think  Tony Parker would make a great backup PG  but CHA wont want rozier with having Kemba so need a third team.

idea # 2: Ive heard the idea of Poeltl from the Spurs for Rozier. And this makes some sense: Spurs need a PG this year and we could use a Big. Both Poeltl and Rozier have potential to be starters in this league...so have similar value.IMO

idea #3: Is Dwight Howard going to make a comeback this year? Wizards might entertain Rozier starting and make them a playoff team possibly with Wall out. Rozier+Yabu for Howard???

I just don't see a clear solution to scary terry besides trading him but even that seems a challenge

Yuck.

Made me throw up a little lol.

Someone I would really like, but would be very tough to match salaries would be Josh Jackson. I think on the Celtics, Jackson could thrive in a multi-faceted position, be it Point Forward, small ball 4, 3, and even the 2 occasionally. Although, I think it's wise to avoid having him at the 2, as it's clearly not working for the Suns.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think they just ride it out with him and let him test FA in the offseason. I don’t think he would fetch too much at this point for basically a rental.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Terry And Yabusele to Phoenix.

Jackson, Valanciunis, LAC pick and Boston pick to Atlanta

Lin and Dedmon to Toronto

Delon Wright, Taurean Prince and Dallas pick to Boston

Boston adds 2 roll players off the bench and increases odds at lotto picks for Davis.

Then shop morris in search of more picks