Author Topic: I think all our questions have been answered  (Read 3111 times)

Re: I think all our questions have been answered
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celts have played very well over the past 20 games. They’re 15-5, and have looked fantastic minus a three game losing streak where we were missing Horford, Baynes, and several others.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We are playing well but so are the top-4. We will have to beat them to get up in the standings.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Per Forsberg on Twitter:

Through the first 20 games the Celtics' ORtg was 104.6 (27th) and through the next 20 games it's been 117.4 (1st). They're apg went from 24.3 (11th) to 28.4 (1st).

We'll see how long it continues but these are very good signs. They're currently 9th in offense and 4th in defense on the season.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:27:56 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We're playing really well, and I think we can still get better. Which is amazing. The depth should help us sustain winning - we can keep going through injuries and hold fatigue at bay. And we have the go-to bucket-getters you need at the end of a tight playoff game. Should be fun!

I really, really want to see us win the SEGABABA in Miami tonight. They play hard.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We are playing well but so are the top-4. We will have to beat them to get up in the standings.

Yeah, each spot really matters, too...

5th - on the road vs a very good team
4th - home, but also against very good team
3rd - easy 1st round, but on the road in the 2nd round
2nd - have to face #1 on road in ECF
1st - obviously the best place to be

As it stands, I think we need to get ourselves up to at least 3rd. It would be great to be higher, but there are only 5 good teams in the East and I would rather an easy 1st round than anything else. Whoever ends up at 4+5 is going to have it so much harder than the other 3.

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The best reason to end up #1?

Getting to watch Toronto and Milwaukee hammer each other in round 2, and only needing to beat one of them. I would much rather not have to get through both of them to get to the finals. Two very, very good teams. But a series against either could be epic.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The best reason to end up #1?

Getting to watch Toronto and Milwaukee hammer each other in round 2, and only needing to beat one of them. I would much rather not have to get through both of them to get to the finals. Two very, very good teams. But a series against either could be epic.

That’s not realistic. As well as we are playing, Bucks and Raptors continue to roll. I think it’s a 3 way battle for 3rd seed with Pacers and Sixers with right to play 6th seed, which is a dramatic drop competitively (Heat currently). Chances are good that road to finals will run through both Milwaukee and Toronto. That’s cool. Either we’re the best or we aren’t.

Case can be made that top 5 in East is better than in West.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 09:55:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We are good again.

If we lose to Miami tomorrow we will probably be wrist slitting again  :laugh:

We do think they are figuring out what each of them is supposed to do though. Team looks a lot more cohesive. But it was only 5 games ago that we have up 46 in a quarter to San Antonio. Which is why I try not to get too excited when we thrash people or too despondent when we suck. But heading the right direction overall even though I’m sure there will be more twists and turns along the way.

Has the wrist slitting started yet?  :angel:

Our long term trend is still in the right direction. We will have bumps like this and bigger than this along the way until they develop the consistency of mindset and performance to keep the ball moving and maintain defensive intensity for the full 48 mins. If they can get to that level by April we will be in good shape come playoff time. They’ve shown what they are capable of they just need to do it night after night, especially nights when the shots aren’t falling.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Throughout the first half I sat there thinking, put Williams in, but it takes Brad until the third quarter to notice that Miami is shooting lay up after lay up.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 02:40:35 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Throughout the first half I sat there thinking, put Williams in, but it takes Brad until the third quarter to notice that Miami is shooting lay up after lay up.

Because every coach knows you should give a chance for your main guys to get it together. What happens when coaches go on knee jerk substitutions every time a tean goes on a run? This is why coaches (watch other teams its the same) take their time to put in situational players.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 06:54:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Because every coach knows you should give a chance for your main guys to get it together. What happens when coaches go on knee jerk substitutions every time a tean goes on a run? This is why coaches (watch other teams its the same) take their time to put in situational players.

I think it's a "give the guys in there some sign that you trust them" thing, particularly if they are putting in a lot of effort but the ball's not going in for whatever reason. Yanking someone as soon as they miss a shot or because the other team starts scoring soon as they are put in is a great way to destroy someone's confidence. Like saying "sorry you're not good enough to deal with this, let me sit you till the game is safer and there's less chance you will !@#$ it up". The next time they get on the floor they may play inhibited and afraid to make a mistake and get yanked again.

It's obviously a fine line between giving players time to remedy a negative situation they have got themselves in, and pulling them out to save the game. The really good coaches know where that line is. The bad ones will either pull too early or too late. Brad doesn't always get it right but I've always felt he errs on the side of being prepared to lose a game by keeping players in to show he trusts them, even if they play bad on occasion. The only time I've seen him yank players quickly is if they clearly didn't put any effort on defense, then they get a quick hook.

Playoffs it will probably be a different scenario but during the regular season I feel he tries to use these situations as teaching moments to put players in positions where they have to dig deep. As fans we want to win every game though which is totally understandable  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D