Author Topic: RJ Hunter back on a two way  (Read 4915 times)

Re: RJ Hunter back on a two way
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If the Celtics have to part ways with multiple assets in an Anthony Davis trade, I think it's pretty clear that RJ Hunter and Brad Wanamaker will be given every chance to fill out the bench unit.

RJ Hunter absolutely has the talent to carve out a role as an NBA 6th Man. Whether or not he meets it will be determined by his work ethic and professionalism.

Really? Nothing in his career suggests otherwise, but I guess... I just don't see it. Too skinny, hasn't improved ball handling as much, needs to be a better shooter, but low release key point. And isn't fast/nimble like Martin, or Crawford.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is simply an indication that Danny is ready to pull the trigger on a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade.  Pretty much everyone not named Horford or Kyrie might as well keep their bags packed until February 8th.

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is simply an indication that Danny is ready to pull the trigger on a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade.  Pretty much everyone not named Horford or Kyrie might as well keep their bags packed until February 8th.

How so? This deal doesn’t affect our 15 man roster at all.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If the Celtics have to part ways with multiple assets in an Anthony Davis trade, I think it's pretty clear that RJ Hunter and Brad Wanamaker will be given every chance to fill out the bench unit.

RJ Hunter absolutely has the talent to carve out a role as an NBA 6th Man. Whether or not he meets it will be determined by his work ethic and professionalism.
What???  The guy is not an NBA player, never mind a 6th man.  I thought his work ethic and professionalism were his strong points!  His lack of game is his problem. 

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I would think your question would answer itself.

If the Celtics were involved in a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade it would open up an end-of-the-bench roster spot for Hunter who is now on a two-way contract.

This seems like the likely plan to me.  I seen no other reason why Ainge would wait until 1 month before the trade deadline to sign a player who's best NBA asset is having experience in Brad Stevens' system. 

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Bring back James Young while we are at it. Lol

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
oooh,  little trade speculation time??

Nurkic would be nice.....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:06:23 AM by Silky »

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Really? Nothing in his career suggests otherwise, but I guess... I just don't see it. Too skinny, hasn't improved ball handling as much, needs to be a better shooter, but low release key point. And isn't fast/nimble like Martin, or Crawford.

What???  The guy is not an NBA player, never mind a 6th man.  I thought his work ethic and professionalism were his strong points!  His lack of game is his problem. 

Probably just a bias of mine, I was pretty high on him during the draft process. IMO though Stevens and DA don't pick him up on this 2 way if they don't think that there could be something there long term, otherwise we would have just stuck with Dozier or Lemon.

Too Skinny? With the new freedom of movement rules it's never been a better time to be a skinny player. At the end of the day what's more important, a guy being able to barrel through opposing defenses or hit shots and move the ball from all over the court.

Don't get me wrong I could just as easily see him playing in China as the NBA in 5 years he's definitely on the fringe of the league as of now but he's got the type of game that is tailor made for for the modern style. If he keeps hitting that weight room and I bet it's more likely than not that he makes a roster as a valuable rotation player at some point in his career.

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I, for one, am psyched RJ is back.

When the 2015 draft was happening, I even suggested taking Hunter at 16 where we took TRoz. Shows how much I know.

What intrigued me as much as his reputation as a scorer was his passing ability. I can remember an interview with his dad where people were making a big deal about his shooting when his dad said that where he really excels is in passing.

I also think he can regain his long range shooting touch. I say regain, because he did have it at one time, but got screwed up his last year at GASt. His freshman year from 3 he shot 36.5%, his sophomore year 39.5% and his senior year only 30.5 %.

What changed from his 1st to 3rd year: RJ became a hunted man, getting double and triple teamed. This forced him farther and farther out on the perimeter and killed his 3pt%. He was heaving up shots from downtown Atlanta, but his assists went up his last year almost double.

What’s more, RJ has been an excellent free throw shooter, a good prognosticator of overall shooting. RJs FT%s were 77% for his first year and then 88% his last two years.

Hopefully he can regain his shooting prowess, and along with his passing ability, maybe he can contribute.

I’m rooting for the kid.

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 06:02:45 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Shane Larkin taught me to not write off anyone too soon. That said, I'm not expecting much from Hunter. And I'm hoping that Danny's able to strengthen the deep bench with a vet or two before the playoffs roll around.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don’t get this signing, at all.  Hunter is a marginal NBA talent who plays a position that the C’s have covered pretty well (guard).

Meanwhile, this team misses Baynes big time.

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 06:23:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Probably just a bias of mine, I was pretty high on him during the draft process. IMO though Stevens and DA don't pick him up on this 2 way if they don't think that there could be something there long term, otherwise we would have just stuck with Dozier or Lemon.

Too Skinny? With the new freedom of movement rules it's never been a better time to be a skinny player. At the end of the day what's more important, a guy being able to barrel through opposing defenses or hit shots and move the ball from all over the court.

Don't get me wrong I could just as easily see him playing in China as the NBA in 5 years he's definitely on the fringe of the league as of now but he's got the type of game that is tailor made for for the modern style. If he keeps hitting that weight room and I bet it's more likely than not that he makes a roster as a valuable rotation player at some point in his career.

Wow, I was very high on Hunter too. I actually had him over Rozier originally in a re-draft thread. I mean, sure his stroke is smooth and clean, but as I've said his low release point isn't going to bode well for him. He does have a nice wingspan, but his defense/lateral quickness leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe, I'm just hard on him, the same way I was on James Young. I thought Young and Hunter could've been our SG's for the future. I think his craftiness and high cerebral BBIQ will serve him well if he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle, and advance his handling/shooting more.

But to add on your point, barreling into opponents and being able to draw free throws, and shoot 3's are extremely valuable. That's probably why Harden, even though I hate him, seems like the type of player that benefits from the modern NBA even more than Steph Curry. Then again, we've seen him dominate before. Rules are different, but in the playoffs are another wholesome monster. We'll see if Hunter can remain consistent and stay on the team. He's a very likable guy.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If the Celtics were involved in a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade it would open up an end-of-the-bench roster spot for Hunter who is now on a two-way contract.

This seems like the likely plan to me.  I seen no other reason why Ainge would wait until 1 month before the trade deadline to sign a player who's best NBA asset is having experience in Brad Stevens' system.

There’s no advantage to doing that, though. The benefit of a two-way contract is that we can play a guy in NBA games, without having to use an NBA roster spot.

Roster spots tend to be precious. Any surplus roster spots are likely to be used on buyouts, rather than fringe minor leaguers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Underwhelming move at best

yep, no expectations at all

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:22 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

There’s no advantage to doing that, though. The benefit of a two-way contract is that we can play a guy in NBA games, without having to use an NBA roster spot.

Roster spots tend to be precious. Any surplus roster spots are likely to be used on buyouts, rather than fringe minor leaguers.

Oh?  And what money does the team have to sign buyouts?  I hear they're over the cap.