Author Topic: Kyries defense hustle stats  (Read 2054 times)

Re: Kyries defense hustle stats
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
LOL...now Kyrie is All-Defense.

STOP IT...this is foolish. The Cs overall defense is good but let's not get carried away stat geeks.

Sheesh...so because Smart hit some 3s last game should he enter the 3pt contest?

Stop trying to promote Kyrie in a way that isn't needed. He's an All Star and best player on the team but he still has defensive deficiencies. He's a decent off the ball, help defender...but he can't defend on the ball.
Rofl, there's literally one mention of All-Defense and it's by you. Nobody at all even implied that he should be considered for one of the All-Defensive teams.

What people are saying is that he's become at worst an adequate, passable defender. His reading of the opposition offence is really solid, hence his improved steal numbers, in addition to his very respectable deflection, loose ball recover and charge numbers. This is the first time he's really been under a defensive-minded coach, and he's thriving.

Lots of players are adequate. Again you guys miss the point.

This thread is just another guy in his own head trying to justify Kyrie Irving because some others don't like him as much as you do.

Someone has an opinion and all of a sudden people panic for some reason and feel the need to defend the player in some meaningless way.

Great Kyrie gets deflections.

Well someone may say Kyrie still gets torched by less than average guards.

Do you really not see the hypocrisy in that line at all?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:04 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

STOP IT...this is foolish. The Cs overall defense is good but let's not get carried away stat geeks.

Sheesh...so because Smart hit some 3s last game should he enter the 3pt contest?

Stop trying to promote Kyrie in a way that isn't needed. He's an All Star and best player on the team but he still has defensive deficiencies. He's a decent off the ball, help defender...but he can't defend on the ball.

You're the only one throwing that kind of hyperbole around. If posters can make thread gems like "Terry Rozier is a winner" or "trade Kyrie for the sake of the team",  why can't others make a thread highlighting a player improving his defensive effort supported by actual stats?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:25:51 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Admittedly, Irving is not playing against the best offensive players most of the time. CBS wisely has him off ball on the opposition's wing, normally weakside of the court.

In that role, Irving has thrived as a defender with charges, strips, and rebounds.

It's ok to recognize that he is not on-ball against the other team's best player most of the time. But it's also ok to recognize that he is thriving on defense where he is.

That said, Irving has also had a bunch of big plays on ball against the opposition's best players. That charge that he drew on Butler against the Sixers is an example of this. He is not a consistent high-level on-ball defender, but he's always had the ability to make timely, winning defensive plays.

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Admittedly, Irving is not playing against the best offensive players most of the time. CBS wisely has him off ball on the opposition's wing, normally weakside of the court.

In that role, Irving has thrived as a defender with charges, strips, and rebounds.

It's ok to recognize that he is not on-ball against the other team's best player most of the time. But it's also ok to recognize that he is thriving on defense where he is.

That said, Irving has also had a bunch of big plays on ball against the opposition's best players. That charge that he drew on Butler against the Sixers is an example of this. He is not a consistent high-level on-ball defender, but he's always had the ability to make timely, winning defensive plays.

The luxury of having Marcus Smart next to him.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Tied with Marcus Smart with 9 charges and 7th in league and 3rd in loose balls recovered 70 with Smart at 45
Deflections    Smart 105 1st on celts   Kyrie 85--2nd
Contested 2pt shots Smart 94    Kyrie 97

But people hate him! There is a narrative gosh darn it.

The IT thing still lingers in some people's minds no doubt and maybe seeing the Cavs team with Lebron and Kyrie dismantle our team year in and year out over the past bunch of years does not help matters either.

Kyrie is truly our best player right now and the one and only alpha dog that is sorely needed for post season success. He is also showing good defense as shown by the numbers above. The eye test does appear he is playing better defense on our team then he ever did before but I don't have the true stats to compare before and after. I would be curious to see the numbers as a Cavs player vs as a Celtics player.

I love watching him play as a Celtics player and did respect how he played as a Cavs player under the Lebron regime.

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Every game, I watch Kyrie and say to myself, this is what a franchise player looks like, this guy is going to bring home 2-3 trophies for sure
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Rofl, there's literally one mention of All-Defense and it's by you. Nobody at all even implied that he should be considered for one of the All-Defensive teams.

What people are saying is that he's become at worst an adequate, passable defender. His reading of the opposition offence is really solid, hence his improved steal numbers, in addition to his very respectable deflection, loose ball recover and charge numbers. This is the first time he's really been under a defensive-minded coach, and he's thriving.

This thread is just another guy in his own head trying to justify Kyrie Irving because some others don't like him as much as you do.

Someone has an opinion and all of a sudden people panic for some reason and feel the need to defend the player in some meaningless way.

Thank you...

What about all the guards who have torched us this year. Where are the stats for that? It's just amazing how there can be nothing but praise for Kyrie. I could understand if the Celtics had been bounced in the first round and were 31-7 this season. The "all-defense" comment was me being facetious. Chill

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Kyrie has looked good on defense this year. Not All NBA (no one thinks that) but he's been better than the average pg, I'd say. He's been good. The stats back that up.

I'm really impressed with how much harder he's been working on defense and on the boards.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thank you...

What about all the guards who have torched us this year. Where are the stats for that? It's just amazing how there can be nothing but praise for Kyrie. I could understand if the Celtics had been bounced in the first round and were 31-7 this season. The "all-defense" comment was me being facetious. Chill

"Nothing but praise for Kyrie"?  Talk about seeing/hearing only what you want to. 

There is, and has been, plenty of criticism of Kryie across the forums since pretty much day 1.  Some of our most vocal posters have been critical of Kyrie. Heck, there was a "Trade Kyrie for the Sake of the Team" thread only a few days ago.

He's certainly not been above reproach on here. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Tied with Marcus Smart with 9 charges and 7th in league and 3rd in loose balls recovered 70 with Smart at 45
Deflections    Smart 105 1st on celts   Kyrie 85--2nd
Contested 2pt shots Smart 94    Kyrie 97

But people hate him! There is a narrative gosh darn it.

The IT thing still lingers in some people's minds no doubt and maybe seeing the Cavs team with Lebron and Kyrie dismantle our team year in and year out over the past bunch of years does not help matters either.

Kyrie is truly our best player right now and the one and only alpha dog that is sorely needed for post season success. He is also showing good defense as shown by the numbers above. The eye test does appear he is playing better defense on our team then he ever did before but I don't have the true stats to compare before and after. I would be curious to see the numbers as a Cavs player vs as a Celtics player.

I love watching him play as a Celtics player and did respect how he played as a Cavs player under the Lebron regime.

"The IT thing still lingers" incredible... but true. How is the little fella these days, don't hear too much about him. The trade that brought Irving here, for whatever reason... was certainly a home run.

We could get Anthony Davis on this team and we would have folks who complain about his willingness to pass the ball. 

The fact is Kyrie's defense is much improved this year and suitable enough to win a ring. That's about all we need to know.

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

As long as Marcus Smart is hitting the 3 at a career high rate it works...  Once he returns to his shooting norms Stevens will have to send Smart back to the bench.  I'm happy it's working for now.

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

As long as Marcus Smart is hitting the 3 at a career high rate it works...  Once he returns to his shooting norms Stevens will have to send Smart back to the bench.  I'm happy it's working for now.

I've said this elsewhere, but we've seen Marcus go through stretches where it looked like he figured it out and then regresses back to where he was so I'm also not going to start celebrating Marcus' shooting until I've seen it for a whole season.

That said, he's started the last 19 games and in that time he's shooting .376 from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game. That's terrific.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Frankly I ve been amazed by his effort ,  i was not expecting much , seeing how he was " raised" ,   after all he really had no coach,  no authority figure except his royal King Lebron   who  did not give a rats  behind about " His " stars playing any defense .   

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

All point guards get torched on defense.
Some a lot, some a lot more.
It is not a defensive position.
There has been 1 DPOY PG ever (old rules), Gary Payton in 1996 - it is not a coincidence.
They are the smallest on the court and their matchups are the fastest while having bigs set the picks for them.
Perhaps a sad, but true fact.
With these rules,
All point guards get torched on defense.
That is a reality.

This is truth.

I'd go further:  I don't really care if KI isn't a great defender.  I don't want him getting into foul trouble.

All I want from my elite, super-efficient quick-scoring-PG on defense is a decent effort to stay in front of his man, make his rotations and make the occasional defensive play when it's there to be made.   Don't get in foul trouble.

Defensive value in small guards is vastly overrated by a lot of fans.   I'm not saying it's not important.   Clearly a guy like Smart brings important value on the defensive end.   But because of the 3PT shot and no-hand-checking, for the most part small quick scoring guards aren't really stopped at the perimeter by defensive guards.   As Androslav notes, even the best defensive small guards routinely get burned.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I've said this elsewhere, but we've seen Marcus go through stretches where it looked like he figured it out and then regresses back to where he was so I'm also not going to start celebrating Marcus' shooting until I've seen it for a whole season.

That said, he's started the last 19 games and in that time he's shooting .376 from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game. That's terrific.

Marcus made a big form change in his 3PT shot during the summer of 2017.  He stopped bending over so much at the waste on the "dip" before his shot.   Those kind of changes usually take a long time to become 'natural' (i.e., done without thinking) and so didn't show a lot of improvement in the results during the first year.   It's legitimately possible that what we are seeing now is finally the fruition of that fix.   I actually have a bit of hope that this is finally a more long-term improvement that will stick.

'Agreed, the sample is still too small to be certain.   I will just say that I won't be surprised if he shoots above 35% for the rest of this season.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.