Author Topic: Jaylen was special again  (Read 4080 times)

Jaylen was special again
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He has struggled with plantar fascia,a back problem and a sprained wrist.The arc was back on his shot ,his shot was smooth and was in rhythm He slashed , he attacked and he closed at the rim.
Now Tatum has to get over his mini slump.

Re: Jaylen was special again
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
If C’s could get consistent performances from JB, JT, GH and TR to go along with the almost nightly consistency of KI and MM, and the frequent consistency of Al and MS (and AB when he returns), C’s would be very tough to beat.

Still feels to me like the talent is there.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is and they just have to play up to their level and ability, sometimes the effort is not there.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I have a firm belief that Brown is going to be an elite wing player in the league. He just needs to be in attack mode and then it's very hard to stop him. He has either a speed or a size advantage on almost anybody.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Jaylen needs to attack, period. When he does, he's one of the better wings in today's game and has that potential. You can see it, he just needs to put more effort out there. He even did it for most of last year's playoffs which is why folks were saying, "eh... I'd rather keep Jaylen as opposed to trading for rental Kawhi"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:56:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Everyone love him again until next game when he score 5 points, then its back hating him again lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Everyone love him again until next game when he score 5 points, then its back hating him again lol
Classic Jeff Green

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
reading this thread some are posting like Jaylen Brown is the next coming of James Worthy. Some think he is just Jeff Green.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Classic Jeff Green

In fairness, I don’t believe Jeff Green was considered “Jeff Green” when he was 22. Took a while before he was referrred to as a disappointment or a guy who’ll never reach his potential.  In fact, Green was seen as quite promising at 22.  It’s probably the fairest thing to do re: Jaylen — to consider him promising — rather than label him the next Jeff Green. 

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Classic Jeff Green

In fairness, I don’t believe Jeff Green was considered “Jeff Green” when he was 22. Took a while before he was referrred to as a disappointment or a guy who’ll never reach his potential.  In fact, Green was seen as quite promising at 22.  It’s probably the fairest thing to do re: Jaylen — to consider him promising — rather than label him the next Jeff Green.

Totally agree.  Early Jeff Green had a lot of potential.  I had a lot of faith in him developing into a fringe star.  I think a few things happened:

1 - His confidence was shook a little by playing in the shadow of Durant

2 - OKC's early attempts at "positionless basketball" kind of stunted his development, because he was forced to play out of position during his early years

3 - By the time he got to Boston, it was after he had a heart surgery that kept him out a full season - and his aggression just never really got there. 

Unfortunately, Brown might be dealing with a little of 1 and 2... playing in the shadow of better players and unfortunately playing out of position might stunt his development.  He seems hungrier than Green so I'm hopeful he can reach a ceiling Jeff never did. 

Year 1:

Brown: 6.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 0.4 steals .454/.341/.685

Green: 10.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.6 steals .427/.276/.744

Year 2:

Brown: 14.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1 steal .465/.395/.644

Green: 16.5 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal .446/.389/.788

Year 3:

Brown: 12 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.8 steals .433/.284/.659

Green: 15.1 points, 6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.3 steals .453/.333/.740

Is what it is. FWIW, Green was older when he entered the league, because he spent more time in College.

Freshman Brown: 14.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2 assists, 0.8 steals .431/.294/.654

Freshman Green: 13.1 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1 steal .502/.400/.699

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don't see the Jeff Green comparisons for Jaylen...and I say this as somebody who thinks Jeff Green has gotten a totally raw deal as an NBA player. Over 12 years in the league, he has averaged 13/5 and has only ever averaged single digits once (Orlando 2 years ago - 9.2ppg). Jeff Green became the whipping boy of Cs fans once they got bored with Antoine. He has been a good player in this league for a long time - and he might have been much better had he not, you know, almost died and missed an entire season. It's really impossible to predict what might have happened with his career.

As for Jaylen - he may not have come into the league with Jeff Green's pure offensive ability, but his tenacity, defense, and speed/strength/agility combination is on another level compared to Green. Green also never came close to Jaylen's 3pt shooting in 2018-19.

I love Jaylen and I can see him really becoming a more consistent threat, eventually moving back into the starting line-up. The team's starting line-up last year (Kyrie/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes) was much better than this year's current iteration. It was great that we had an 8 game win streak against a bunch of crappy teams, but we are getting exposed again. A confident Jaylen would be a great addition to this team.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Totally agree.  Early Jeff Green had a lot of potential.  I had a lot of faith in him developing into a fringe star.  I think a few things happened:

2 - OKC's early attempts at "positionless basketball" kind of stunted his development, because he was forced to play out of position during his early years

3 - By the time he got to Boston, it was after he had a heart surgery that kept him out a full season - and his aggression just never really got there. 
4 - He underwent heart surgery in January 2012 and missed the entire 2011–12 season.

Having said that, I do like the comparison. Obviously Green is a bit taller than Brown. Going by CBS's logic of 4 positions instead of 5, I guess Brown is a wing whereas Green is a swing. Other than that, it seems to me they are mirrors of each other.

- prototypical size/length
- elite athleticism
- very good slashers
- about average shooters
- below average ball handling ability
- way below average court vision

The way I see it, Brown's #1 weakness is his court vision. Most of the times he just puts his head down and attacks the basket. If he were a better passer of the ball, it would be more difficult for defenders to read his game, hence it would be easier for him to attack the basket.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:36:00 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Classic Jeff Green

Unfortunately, Brown might be dealing with a little of 1 and 2... playing in the shadow of better players and unfortunately playing out of position might stunt his development.  He seems hungrier than Green so I'm hopeful he can reach a ceiling Jeff never did. 

Year 1:

Brown: 6.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 0.4 steals .454/.341/.685

Green: 10.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.6 steals .427/.276/.744

Year 2:

Brown: 14.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1 steal .465/.395/.644

Green: 16.5 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal .446/.389/.788

Year 3:

Brown: 12 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.8 steals .433/.284/.659

Green: 15.1 points, 6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.3 steals .453/.333/.740

Is what it is. FWIW, Green was older when he entered the league, because he spent more time in College.

Freshman Brown: 14.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2 assists, 0.8 steals .431/.294/.654

Freshman Green: 13.1 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1 steal .502/.400/.699
I feel like I've had this argument before, but I'm not really sure I see the comparison. They play different, positions, they have different strengths, they came into the NBA at different ages, the situation they are in was different (rebuilding young team vs quasi contender). And I know  you like to show people the numbers to mae your point, but thats kind of misleading given the differecens cited above. For example compare Jeff Green's 2nd year averages to tatums right now and I think you'll see they are argably closer than Jaylens. So does that mean Tatum is more like Jeff Green?

Could Jaylen end up ike Jeff Green? Ya, any young player could. If he goes a couple of years without showing any further imprvement while  also utterly failing to impact winnning then you can label him Jeff Green. Jeff Green gets a bad rap because he was wildly inconsistent at 25, 26 ect not because he was Jaylen like Jaylen and strugglig at age 22. Thats soemtihng that happnes to young players.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 12:58:54 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jaylen looked like himself again the other night.

I think it is time to put him back in the starting lineup.