Author Topic: LarBrd33 and KG Living Legend recorded a Celtic podcast... it's awkward  (Read 3596 times)

Re: LarBrd33 and KG Living Legend recorded a Celtic podcast... it's awkward
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
listened to about 26 minutes of it.  had no idea it was over 40 minutes.  first podcast I've ever listened to.  take that as an honor or reason for concern.

my 2 cents (from someone that doesn't agree with a lot of either of your posts)
1. kudos for having the guts to take a shot at this - particularly LB whose 'popularity' here could act as a beacon for people to jump in with a lot of negativity. 
2. your on-air personas don't match your personas on the blog, which is a good thing IMO.  You both come off as actual C's fans as opposed to C's haters which is how you each can come across here (to some at least). 
3. only suggestions I'd have if you try this again (and I think it's worth doing again) is (A) a bit less giggling/chuckling and (B) a bit less effort trying for the clever quip.  if you're trying to build this into something bigger or a regular gig, I think you'll hit the mark with the conversation more if you stick to the topics as an actual discussion rather than trying too much to say something funny.  there was a good range of topics but sometimes the humor fell flat (as someone listening).

TPs to each of you for the effort.  good first effort, well worth a second effort.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 11:46:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My general input as a liker of basketball podcasts who hasn't listened to your podcast yet, strive to be like the Lowe post rather than the basketball friends.

Keep the non-basketball meandering to a minimum and don't use sound effects.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 12:12:17 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
like ppl above im 10 mins in will listen to rest later
its not what i expected at all with u guys CB contrarian schtick 
the description made it sound like it would be cringey but it isnt

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 12:29:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Alright I've listened to like fifteen minutes so far.

The beginning is funny.  You have a good cadence as the host. You're totally right that "Scott Scott" seems like a catfish sorta deal with that profile.

I appreciated how KGLL ended up being a real contrast to you in terms of style and delivery. Almost feels planned.

The random talk to start was fine because it was setting up you both as long time Celtics junkies, bantering about scrubs from the dog years.

I've been posting here for far less time than you and I've got over seventeen thousand posts. What does that say about me?

My main thought so far is that the Celts fan community could really use our own version of RTRS, and I could see this evolving into that style of discussion.  Those guys hate the Celts but they have a good flow, which is helped by the fact that they're both professionals in radio / entertainment.

So far you guys haven't incorporated a lot of actual stats into your discussion. Your YouTube video is supplementing some of the holes in what you're talking about. I would say try to make a point of referencing the actual numbers. Remember that the whole point of listening to a podcast instead of the talk radio blowhards is the discussion has room to be smart and grounded in details rather than feelings and hot takes.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:36:11 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 01:15:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Overall the Hayward hate in this podcast is a bit on the extreme end. I get the sense that KGLL never really had an appreciation for how good Hayward was in Utah and so now it's easy to jump to the conclusion that the signing was a bust.

It feels really early to me to write him off given the nature of that injury. I think we knew all along that thirty million was a bit of an overpay for an all star wing without superstar upside.  Overpays of that kind are necessary if you want to sign an elite player in free agency.

I look at Hayward as a wing version of horford in that way. My hope is that eventually he'll get back to providing that sort of presence. Sort of like an elite version of joe Ingles.

You're right that a lot of the high expectations for the season were rooted in the premise that Hayward would be able to provide that level of play almost right away. So far he's looked like he's at least a few months, maybe half a year from being at that level. That's a bummer but I don't think we should be terribly surprised if we remember the nature of that injury, plus some of the setbacks Gordon had in his recovery.

I don't think there's any good reason to believe the injury will permanently sap him of athleticism or speed, unless it's a mental thing. Gordon is on the latter end of his twenties but he's still got several years of his prime left, and not many miles on his legs.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 01:42:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I appreciate the constructive feedback, Pho.  I will say that there are likely many existing Celtic podcasts superior to anything I could ever put out - and I got a chuckle out of "strive to be the Lowe Post"... that dude's arguably the best basketball personality out there.  There's no way I'll ever come close to touching the basketball knowledge of pros like him.  I'm just some silly fan with dumb opinions.   

I'm not sure if I'll continue making these.  One way or the other, it was great to finally connect with KG Living Legend outside of just text.  I'm sure we'll have future conversations - regardless of whether we'll record them.  That dude is hilarious.  I told him that even if we end on episode 1, he should consider being on sports radio/podcasts in some fashion.  I agree with Eddie20 in that he sounded like some of the guests Bill Simmons has on.  Just a natural.

Real-talk, I think there's so many [dang] podcasts out there at this point, it's almost futile to try to launch one unless you're a celebrity or have the backing of a media company/popular website. I have no delusions of this being successful.  Honestly, I've seen far more knowledgeable/professional podcasters quit even WITH a major site backing them.  I was telling KGLL, I was gonna be happy if 10 people listened and at least one of them didn't hate it.  This was more about me saying, "Man, we've been chatting on Facebook for 2 years... let's talk on the phone and let's record it just in-case it's interesting."  I understand that any pop in viewers I got on Episode 1 is likely based purely on the curiosity of people familiar with me and/or KGLL who tuned in to hear whether or not we sounded like the total mental cases they were picturing in their head.

Fun experiment, though.  I'm a bit intrigued by the idea of removing the anonymity of internet fandom.  In addition to continuing my conversations with KGLL, there's a couple other "Strangers" I'd like to maybe call in the future... so who knows... I'm still not sure what this is going to be if it's going to be anything at all.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 01:57:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The Lowe post comment is more about having a platonic ideal to hold in mind. Obviously you're not going to replicate Lowe.  I mention that as a contrast to the basketball friends (formerly TrueHoop), because I get the sense that a lot of Twitter people enjoy that style of discussion but I find it unfocused and annoying.

As far as attracting an audience, there are at least a couple hundred people that regularly read and post on this forum, plus there's Celtics Reddit.  You're pretty well known in both of those communities (infamous?). That's not a bad base.

Most likely this won't go anywhere, just like 99% of creative endeavors. But you might learn some valuable things in the course of trying.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Alone in the office... i will give a try.

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Part 2 is going to be with Triboy!!

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
I was hoping to see what LarBrd33 looks like.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:10:43 AM by apc »

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
That was a fun, good job!

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I enjoyed it and subscribed.

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

TP to everyone in the thread especially the Grinch of Christmas Eve. Happy Holidays everyone.

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Can I just say, both of you guys sound exactly how I read you in my head.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Wrong thread.

Solid podcast. Nedyken is less sarcastic than expected, even kind sounding.  :)
Nice dynamic with KGLL's impulsive and funny comments, with Lar working the reigns to keep us on track.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:10:31 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC