Author Topic: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread  (Read 123558 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Vegas seems to have the Kings projected as the 3rd-4th worst team next season. Frankly, I kind of hope they don't wind up in a top 3 slot. I hate to see Philly have that good of a shot at the #1 pick.

« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Vegas seems to have the Kings projected as the 3rd-4th worst team next season. Frankly, I kind of hope they don't wind up in a top 3 slot. I hate to see Philly have that good of a shot at the #1 pick.

with the max shot at #1 being only 14%, will definitely be rooting for them to have the worst record

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2018, 11:16:10 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I'll take the 3 pick. You'll get one of Sekou, Zion, maybe Little.

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2018, 11:22:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

with the max shot at #1 being only 14%, will definitely be rooting for them to have the worst record

And dropping down to 4th reduces it from 14% to 12.5%.  I’ll hope the Kings are as bad as possible.

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2018, 06:36:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kings will be a 30 win team imo.  Probably around the 6th or 7th worst team next year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Kings will be a 30 win team imo.  Probably around the 6th or 7th worst team next year

You haven't thought this through. The Kings won 27 games last year and the teams below them Suns (Ariza & Ayton), Mavericks (Jordan & Doncic), and Grizllies (Jackson & Conley back from injury) have all improved a lot. In addition, the Lakers who were the next team ahead of them in the standings have obviously greatly improved.

So in the much tougher Western Conference , why is that you think they'll improved in the W/L column? The Kings are easily a low 20's win team.

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You haven't thought this through. The Kings won 27 games last year and the teams below them Suns (Ariza & Ayton), Mavericks (Jordan & Doncic), and Grizllies (Jackson & Conley back from injury) have all improved a lot. In addition, the Lakers who were the next team ahead of them in the standings have obviously greatly improved.

So in the much tougher Western Conference , why is that you think they'll improved in the W/L column? The Kings are easily a low 20's win team.
I don't buy Dallas at all.  I think they are going to be terrible.  I also believe the Kings are still better than the Suns (I expect Bagley to win ROY and from all reports Giles is going to play).  I think they are also better than the Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks, and will likely be better than the Magic and Nets and who knows what the Hornets and Cavs end up doing.  I also think there is a real chance some of these western teams decide they are better off tanking again at some point in the season when they don't get off to great starts.

The Kings were 13-17 against the East last year (just 14-38 against the West), in large part because they have a strong home court that is a long flight and often are played in the middle of a long road trip for Eastern teams.  That gives them a real advantage.  I expect them to be in the same general range against the East with another few wins against the West.

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2018, 08:33:38 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If Kings win 20 games, i be very shock
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would bet TPs the Kings will be a bottom 5 team.   Not sure Bagley will help much as he seems like one of those empty stats guys without much D.

I think the other bottom teams out west Suns, Mavs, and Grizzlies will all be better. In the east there are more bad teams, but they all have to play each other more propping up their win totals.

Everything went right for the Kings last year, and still only won 27 games.  I don’t see them surpassing that total.

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I don't buy Dallas at all.  I think they are going to be terrible.  I also believe the Kings are still better than the Suns (I expect Bagley to win ROY and from all reports Giles is going to play).  I think they are also better than the Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks, and will likely be better than the Magic and Nets and who knows what the Hornets and Cavs end up doing.  I also think there is a real chance some of these western teams decide they are better off tanking again at some point in the season when they don't get off to great starts.

The Kings were 13-17 against the East last year (just 14-38 against the West), in large part because they have a strong home court that is a long flight and often are played in the middle of a long road trip for Eastern teams.  That gives them a real advantage.  I expect them to be in the same general range against the East with another few wins against the West.

You don't have to "buy" Dallas, but Jordan over Powell or Kleber is a HUGE improvement. The improvement at that position will likely account for a few extra wins.

The one thing you're missing with the Suns is the amount of games missed (45 games) by their best 2 scorers (Booker and Warren). So not only should they play more games, as the Suns were tanking hard, but they also added Ayton, Bridges, and Ariza.

The EC teams you mentioned could potentially be worse player-for-player than the Kings, but those teams will be stealing wins vs each other so the wins for those teams will likely be higher than the Kings.

This is what Vegas has as the bottom 12 teams (teams bolded for obvious reasons):

Cleveland Cavaliers   35.5
Los Angeles Clippers   35.5
Charlotte Hornets   35.5
Detroit Pistons   35.5
Phoenix Suns   34.5
Dallas Mavericks   30.5
Orlando Magic   28.5
Chicago Bulls   28.5
Memphis Grizzlies   27.5
Sacramento Kings   27.5

Atlanta Hawks   26.5
Brooklyn Nets   25.5

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Disagree.  Dallas should revive nicely with sophomore PG Smith Jr. and Doncic.  Brunson will be a nice addition too.  Barnes and DeAndre Jordan....I doubt they'll make the playoffs unless they have more space to add that I don't know about...but they'll be far better than the Kings.  15-20 wins better I'm guessing. 

The Suns will score a lot this year and should defend pretty well too.  8 wins better than the Kings.

JJJ and Conley added to Grizzlies.  If no Conley then yes, they'll be bad. 

Cleveland might be horrible.  They could be one of the three worst teams this year IMO.  Even Atlanta might be as good as the Cavs.  Only way the Cavs are not one of the five worst teams is if Collin Sexton is a major stud with a chance at rookie of the year...

I think Brooklyn is feisty and will win 30 to 35 games.

If the Kings somehow manage to not be one of the three worst teams I'll give them a standing ovation...

My guess for worst three teams:  Sac., Atlanta, Cleveland

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

You don't have to "buy" Dallas, but Jordan over Powell or Kleber is a HUGE improvement. The improvement at that position will likely account for a few extra wins.

The one thing you're missing with the Suns is the amount of games missed (45 games) by their best 2 scorers (Booker and Warren). So not only should they play more games, as the Suns were tanking hard, but they also added Ayton, Bridges, and Ariza.

The EC teams you mentioned could potentially be worse player-for-player than the Kings, but those teams will be stealing wins vs each other so the wins for those teams will likely be higher than the Kings.

This is what Vegas has as the bottom 12 teams (teams bolded for obvious reasons):

Charlotte Hornets   35.5
Detroit Pistons   35.5
Phoenix Suns   34.5
Dallas Mavericks   30.5
Orlando Magic   28.5
Chicago Bulls   28.5
Memphis Grizzlies   27.5
Sacramento Kings   27.5

Atlanta Hawks   26.5
Brooklyn Nets   25.5

I have been looking for this, the site I use has not posted all teams yet, but this is what I expected. The idea the Kings are going to be the 7th or 8th worst team is certainly an outlier opinion. I would be pretty surprised if they are not bottom 5 record. They actually had a record that outperformed their point differential last year. If I felt like tieing up money for the year I would probably bomb Memphis over here. That is very very low for a team that will be having Conley, Gasol, Anderson, Green and perhaps some contributions from Jackson.

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Charlotte Hornets   35.5
Detroit Pistons   35.5
Phoenix Suns   34.5
Dallas Mavericks   30.5
Orlando Magic   28.5
Chicago Bulls   28.5
Memphis Grizzlies   27.5
Sacramento Kings   27.5

Atlanta Hawks   26.5
Brooklyn Nets   25.5

I have been looking for this, the site I use has not posted all teams yet, but this is what I expected. The idea the Kings are going to be the 7th or 8th worst team is certainly an outlier opinion. I would be pretty surprised if they are not bottom 5 record. They actually had a record that outperformed their point differential last year. If I felt like tieing up money for the year I would probably bomb Memphis over here. That is very very low for a team that will be having Conley, Gasol, Anderson, Green and perhaps some contributions from Jackson.
Yeah Memphis seems low and I certainly can't see the Suns winning that many either. 

« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Here's why you want the Kings to be the worst team in the NBA next year.  As others have mentioned the percentage difference in them getting the #1 pick from being the worst vs the second worst team in the league is negligible (14% compared to 12.5%??).

What we want to avoid is the chance that four teams jump ahead of the Kings for picks #1 - #4.  I believe that's the new rule where from that point selections are awarded based on worst record from the remaining teams.  So even if the Kings finish with the worst record, if they don't get one of the top four slots, they'll at least get #5 at the worst.  Finish third worst and they could be picking #8.

Correct and berate me if I'm wrong.  I'm winging it here!

« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I see that some of the same people that said the Nets were going to be a borderline playoff team last year are saying the Kings will be better than they can possibly be next season.