Poll

If AD agrees to be here 3 years, is that enough to make the trade including Tatum & Smart?

Yes
27 (65.9%)
No
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Poll: If AD says he will be here but only 3 years total, do you do trade or not?  (Read 4765 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's say while in trade negotiations, the Pels let us talk to Davis and AD says he will sign two 1+1 deals and be here 3 years guaranteed but won't commit to anything longer, would you make a Davis for Tatum, Smart, Yabu, Williams and 2 draft picks trade?

I see a lot of posters say they would never trade Tatum for a one year rental.

But would you make the above deal at a shot for a three year dynasty?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
When you say "won't commit to anything longer", do you mean absolutely no chance he'll resign here, or that he'll merely listen to other offers?

If it's the former then this is a very tricky poll.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If it's for 3 years, then yes!

That changes the complexion of everything for me.

I really like the player, I just don't want to give alot up for a 1 year rental.

If he's here for 3 years, it's a different story and would love to see him in Boston.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Honestly, I just want to see how this team does first in the playoffs. I think when healthy we can win it, but giving up Smart and Tatum is a lot.

AD is completely worth it, but if I'm doing Tatum, I want to keep Brown or Smart.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
No, because I don't believe the pairing of ad and kyrie will produce a championship if we have to trade away Tatum and others.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If he says that he will guarantee being here for three years, but won't commit beyond that, yes.

If he says he will definitely leave after 3 years, no.

You have to take a chance he will stay longer than 3.  That's a risk with every player... give or take.

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
To add to my post I see kyrie and ad as two amazing individual talents but I don't believe either of them have proven that they are great team players or are capable of making others around them better players which is why I'm not sure putting them together is an obvious home run.

Of course I am less familiar with ad overall.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No, because I don't believe the pairing of ad and kyrie will produce a championship if we have to trade away Tatum and others.
Kind of where I am at. Not sure we can win anyways so why sell the farm. Try to keep Tatum, Irving, and AD as the big three

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kind of where I am at. Not sure we can win anyways so why sell the farm. Try to keep Tatum, Irving, and AD as the big three
How would that be possible while keeping Tatum? Pretty much a guarantee that he's the centrepiece for a trade for AD.

If Brown develops as he can, into a Jimmy Butler level player, then that would be a core of Kyrie, Anthony Davis, Al Horford and let's say 90-95% Jimmy Butler. That's 3 All Defensive caliber guys, 2 guys capable of averaging 25+ for a season all under Brad Stevens. I'd back that as a title winning core.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Three years down the road is too far to even bother thinking about. If AD agrees to sign a new contract you go  get him !!

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
How would that be possible while keeping Tatum? Pretty much a guarantee that he's the centrepiece for a trade for AD.

If Brown develops as he can, into a Jimmy Butler level player, then that would be a core of Kyrie, Anthony Davis, Al Horford and let's say 90-95% Jimmy Butler. That's 3 All Defensive caliber guys, 2 guys capable of averaging 25+ for a season all under Brad Stevens. I'd back that as a title winning core.
I don't think you have to deal Tatum to get AD. The thing is we have to remember is Pelicans have to deal Davis and all C's have to do is put forth the best offer. That doesn't mean it has be Tatum. Brown + other players + a ton of picks might get it done. Other stars have gone for less see PG, KL, DC, MG, ect.. we don't know what other teams are "really" going to offer.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't think you have to deal Tatum to get AD. The thing is we have to remember is Pelicans have to deal Davis and all C's have to do is put forth the best offer. That doesn't mean it has be Tatum. Brown + other players + a ton of picks might get it done. Other stars have gone for less see PG, KL, DC, MG, ect.. we don't know what other teams are "really" going to offer.
Just about every reliable news source says the Pelicans needed to have a possible future stud involved and those sources say New Orleans has identify Tatum as that type of player.

Ainge spoke with Demps prior to the deadline saying the Celtics best offer will be there in June. That offer starts with Tatum and picks.

If Davis is coming here, Tatum is gone. Tatum is the price because Davis is in such high demand. There will be several teams making offers for him.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

You're not going to be able to keep Tatum if you're acquiring Anthony Davis. I just don't see how that's possible. I know we all want to see us not only acquire Davis but also get him for pennies on the dollar.

However that's not going to happen.

I don't think they'll trade him here for Jaylen Brown, a bunch of picks and the "famous Celtics Blog" Yabu thrown-in.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

We already know that the Lakers made a big offer and there's no reason to think they won't do the same offer over the summer. 

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If the goal is titles, then I think you have to go for it.  I said yes.  For (3) years of Kyrie / AD / Hayward / Horford / Jaylen, I think we gotta get at least 1 title. 

If we kept Tatum and Smart and the rest do we think that team will ever win a title?  I would wish for it, but the chances are a lot smaller than if you trade for Davis.