Author Topic: My vacation to Boston. What should I do?  (Read 8501 times)

My vacation to Boston. What should I do?
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »

Offline IdahoGreen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Fellow Celtics fans:
I'm going to be visiting Boston with a buddy during the week of March 15 - 21. 

Unfortunately, the furthest east that I have traveled so far is Great Falls, Montana, so I have no idea what to do and what not to do in Boston.  We'll be going to the Heat game on Wednesday, of course.  And St. Patrick's day is on Tuesday.

So what should two college guys from Idaho do while they're in Boston?  Thanks for your help!

Re: My vacation to Boston. What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Two words ... Outback Steakhouse.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What time will you be arriving on the 15th?  The St. Patty's Day parade in Southie is always a good time.

When I was there, I liked a lot of the bars in the Boylston / Copley area (Pour House, Clery's, Rattlesnake), and Faneuil Hall has some good places, too (Black Rose, Purple Shamrock, scorpion bowls at the Hong Kong).

My memories may be a little hazy, but those two areas definitely offer a lot of options.

In terms of non-drinking (or light drinking) options, you've got to check out the North End, which has the best Italian in the northeast. 

If you want a quick tour of the city, and the weather isn't frigid, the Duck Tours are actually pretty cool.  Touristy, and I don't know if you and your buddy would want to do them together, but they're interesting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:27:39 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yea bars on Boylston or near Faneuel Hall are good to check out.  Roys suggestion of Pour House is a pretty cheap place if you don't want to pay any more than you have too.

I'll be at the Heat game too!

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
For St. Patrick's day I'd recommend Doyle's in Jamaica Plain.  Several scenes in "Mystic River" were filmed there.  Stay away from Cheers.  Tourist trap.

For college aged folks, there's always something going on in the Kenmore Square/Fenway Park area. There are clubs with interesting alternative bands, plus Jillians, an upscale pool hall where I'm told (by my 21 year-old son) you can sometimes meet girls.

I don't know what's going on in Harvard Square these days, but I doubt if it's as interesting as it used to be.

The duck tours are fun.  So are the aquarium and the science museum. You could also try a Boston Harbor cruise.

I'm not a big fan of Boston's "name" restaurants.  They are medoicre compared to San Francisco, Chicago and New York.  The North End is overrated.  You can get a nice meal at Rabia's on Salem Street but it's not cheap. There are some good ethnic restaurants, though. I've eaten in about half of these and haven't been disappointed:

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/stuff@night/list/documents/02354235.htm

But my favorite inexpensive restaurant in Boston is the Courthouse seafood restaurant on Cambridge Street in Cambridge, about a ten minute walk from the science museum.  You get great fish-- every bit as good as Legal Seafood-- without the ambiance but for a third of the price.  

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Another idea, is you can go on the Sam Adams Brewery Tour.  Very cheap they only ask for a 2$ donation.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
better question - what the hell is in Idaho

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Another idea, is you can go on the Sam Adams Brewery Tour.  Very cheap they only ask for a 2$ donation.

Yes, and the beer isn't bad.  But you should know that they don't really brew much of the beer there.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
There are some very good recommendations above, so if I am repetitive, it is only to drive home a point  ;D.

First, while it sounds touristy, the suggestion to do a Duck Boat tour (about $30/person I think) is a good one, if weather complies.  You see a lot of Boston, and from some interesting vantage points. 

Second, there are a bunch of bars that cater to different tastes near the TD Banknorth Garden, so you can check those out on game night.  Boston Beerworks is good if you like microbrew, Sullivans tap is good if you like cheap booze, McGann’s is good if you like politics (there are pictures of John Kerry and William Weld drinking pints after running against each other in the 1996 Senate elections). 

Third, given that you are there on St. Patty’s day, take seriously the suggestions to go to Southie or to Doyle’s in Jamaica Plain.  The problem is that they are located far from each other, so you may need to decide between the two.  If you are a movie buff, opt for Doyle’s per Brick’s comments above, but Doyle’s is also a place to go if you like politics (eg: early pics of Mayor Menino on the wall, plus lots of other stuff – my wife used to work for the City of Boston, and the union had events at Doyles – I love the place).

Four, if you want a good view of the city, go to the restaurants at either the Bay Tower (60 state street – near fanueil hall) or Top of the Hub, atop Prudential Center.  Now, the trick is that you just go up to the bar, and then have a drink while taking in the view (and I think there is also a separate bar menu at both places).

Five, have fun!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »

Offline IdahoGreen

• Xavier Tillman
Roy: We'll be arriving late on Sunday night, so I don't think we'll be able to make that parade. 

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!  I'd like to experience the "real Boston" as much as possible, so thanks for tips from the local perspective.  (TPs for all!)

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Roy: We'll be arriving late on Sunday night, so I don't think we'll be able to make that parade. 

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!  I'd like to experience the "real Boston" as much as possible, so thanks for tips from the local perspective.  (TPs for all!)

If you want to see the "real Boston" go to Hogan's run in Brighton, about as divey a dive bar as you can get.  I'd check out the museum of science if you're into that kind of stuff, its very good and you can easily spend a day there.  If you're into history, the freedom trail walking tour is good, or come out to Salem, MA and see some witch city goodness... if you want to see the college scene head out to Allston, tons of great places to hang out there - Sunset Grille has like 200 beers on tap, big city is fun for pool, Our House has 2 for 1 burgers before 7 I think, Sports Depot is a great place to watch a game - there's really so much to do in Mass
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »

Offline IdahoGreen

• Xavier Tillman
The vacation has been great so far; the Dropkick Murphys concert was total madness, and Wednesday's game was pretty exciting (as was high-fiving Wyc).  We also went to the Sam Adams brewery, walked around some of your fine universities, and scaled the Bunker Hill Monument.

So if we wanted to watch the Spurs game, which would be the best place to go - Sports Depot, one of the bars by the TD Banknorth Garden, or somewhere else?

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:09:28 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Okay to watch the Spurs game I would suggest going to the TD Banknorth Garden Area. There are some overpriced places that provide great atmospheres (Greatest Bar, Hurricane O'Reileys) but I suggest good ol' Sullivan's tap. Since you are a college student, they provide cheap drinks with a great divey atmosphere which is perfect for watching a game. Fortunately, they finally upgraded their TVs so they actually have some decent displays.

Also, as soon as the game is over, you can migrate to the Faneuil Hall area which is well within walking distance or two orange line stops away. Here you can find Hong Kong, which I suggest unless you want the Irish pub atmosphere of the Black Rose. Hong Kong offers great scorpion bowls with a lively crowd. The kicker however is the one dollar chicken or beef terryaki sticks they have until close. Veeeeery clutch after a long night. Roy already made this suggestion and I am giving 2 TPs for that. Hong Kong is a blast.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Okay to watch the Spurs game I would suggest going to the TD Banknorth Garden Area. There are some overpriced places that provide great atmospheres (Greatest Bar, Hurricane O'Reileys) but I suggest good ol' Sullivan's tap. Since you are a college student, they provide cheap drinks with a great divey atmosphere which is perfect for watching a game. Fortunately, they finally upgraded their TVs so they actually have some decent displays.

Also, as soon as the game is over, you can migrate to the Faneuil Hall area which is well within walking distance or two orange line stops away. Here you can find Hong Kong, which I suggest unless you want the Irish pub atmosphere of the Black Rose. Hong Kong offers great scorpion bowls with a lively crowd. The kicker however is the one dollar chicken or beef terryaki sticks they have until close. Veeeeery clutch after a long night. Roy already made this suggestion and I am giving 2 TPs for that. Hong Kong is a blast.

Ah Sulley's - I wouldn't eat at Hong Kong, got some wicked food poisoning there, but the drinks are solid
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Again, OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE !!!. Best food ever.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!