Author Topic: Rondo  (Read 2130 times)

Rondo
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Alright I've been one to always back rondo up and fight that he's a top 3 point guard in this league. I believe with the right people around him he is. The thing is though, with this team as its constructed he actually annoys me.

I went to opening night and even though we were blowing Brooklyn out, rondo completely changed how we played from the preseason. The playing style we had during the preseason was so beautiful to watch and I believe that system brad Stevens is trying to install will work wonders for us and then we have rondo, who on every possession is just trying to get an assist. Like literally every possession down, rondo is only looking for an assist, he isn't looking to move the ball, make the defense work, take the best shot or do what the best player on a team should and that's when your team is down take control.
His shot is still horrendous, I don't want to make this into a rondo bashing thread, but does anybody else notice the complete difference of this team when rondo is in? I thought he would at least try and buy into the system. I can't wait till brad Stevens gets all of his type of players.

Re: Rondo
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Alright I've been one to always back rondo up and fight that he's a top 3 point guard in this league. I believe with the right people around him he is. The thing is though, with this team as its constructed he actually annoys me.

I went to opening night and even though we were blowing Brooklyn out, rondo completely changed how we played from the preseason. The playing style we had during the preseason was so beautiful to watch and I believe that system brad Stevens is trying to install will work wonders for us and then we have rondo, who on every possession is just trying to get an assist. Like literally every possession down, rondo is only looking for an assist, he isn't looking to move the ball, make the defense work, take the best shot or do what the best player on a team should and that's when your team is down take control.
His shot is still horrendous, I don't want to make this into a rondo bashing thread, but does anybody else notice the complete difference of this team when rondo is in? I thought he would at least try and buy into the system. I can't wait till brad Stevens gets all of his type of players.
i understand your points and share the same worries. but it is only the second game of the season. let's be patient and see. rondo is known to be stubborn, so let's give stevens a chance to help rondo adapt.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:04:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

My take is that in game one Rondo looked like the perfect fit to run Brad Stevens' offense; in game two, not so much. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Houston's defense plan yesterday was very good, you have to give a lot of credit there. They were denying passing lanes left and right, the player movement became atrocious because of it, and as a consequence also the ball movement.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

My take is that in game one Rondo looked like the perfect fit to run Brad Stevens' offense; in game two, not so much.

No even in game 1 he held the ball a lot longer than any point did during the preseason, it just all looked great beause he was hitting his mid range jumpers and driving to the basket, but we all know rondo can't do that on a nightly basis.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Houston's defense plan yesterday was very good, you have to give a lot of credit there. They were denying passing lanes left and right, the player movement became atrocious because of it, and as a consequence also the ball movement.

While I agree with this, I also feel that we are living and dying by the 3 point shot in this new offense.  If we shot 3's at the same rate as in the first game we probably win last night's game comfortably. Bad shooting nights are going to provide bad results.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Rondo was regularly drawing three defenders on the pick and roll, people just weren't getting open. And based on last night, do you really want the ball in Olynyk or Bradley's hands instead of Rondo? Some of our guys just embarrassed themselves with the ball and their decision making, but Rondo was not one of them. And would Olynyk or Sully please pull the trigger on the pick and pop? It's the designed play, and Rondo hit them right in rhythm and they didn't shoot it.   

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If Rondo gets better shooting from the team and he has 3-4-5 more assists maybe and he had a good game besides the turnovers.  I was hoping he could slash more but Dwight did a great job on help and overall as a team I thought they really kept him out of the paint.

While I agree with this, I also feel that we are living and dying by the 3 point shot in this new offense.  If we shot 3's at the same rate as in the first game we probably win last night's game comfortably. Bad shooting nights are going to provide bad results.

Pretty much.  We are going to have to play small and space the floor with our bigs.  We will have a tough time in the paint against a player like Dwight and if we don't hit threes in response we won't really have a shot.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is only two games back from injury and we expect him to not have any rust? 

I still saw plenty of good open shots created that were just missed. 

The offense can look as beautiful as you want, when the team does not have the offensive weapons to consistently put the ball in the basket, it doesn't matter.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

No even in game 1 he held the ball a lot longer than any point did during the preseason, it just all looked great beause he was hitting his mid range jumpers and driving to the basket, but we all know rondo can't do that on a nightly basis.

I disagree with your take on the first game.  I thought the offense looked great with Rondo on the floor.  He controlled the game beautifully and made smart decisions with the basketball. 

This idea which has picked up considerable steam in the last couple of years that the point guard should never be allowed to dribble the ball in the half court offense while a play develops is one that I don't subscribe to.

I love watching good ball and player movement.  Having one of the best passers in the game is a plus for a ball movement offense, not a negative. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The playing style we had during the preseason was so beautiful to watch and I believe that system brad Stevens is trying to install will work wonders for us and then we have rondo, who on every possession is just trying to get an assist.

I don't know what games you were watching.   86 Celtics was beautiful to watch, last year Spurs in the finals but our guys this preseason, not so much.  Sure they played as a team often and spread around the ball, not it was not beautiful.

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Rondo was regularly drawing three defenders on the pick and roll, people just weren't getting open. And based on last night, do you really want the ball in Olynyk or Bradley's hands instead of Rondo? Some of our guys just embarrassed themselves with the ball and their decision making, but Rondo was not one of them. And would Olynyk or Sully please pull the trigger on the pick and pop? It's the designed play, and Rondo hit them right in rhythm and they didn't shoot it.
well, perhaps not entirely. yes, rondo is the by far the best passer of those three you mention. however, even the homer-boys who are celtic announcers noticed the "rust" on rondo's passing. he had 5 turn overs and at least as many of his passes hit the receiver in the wrong place, meaning they were not in good position to shoot or move once they pulled in the pass.

i rack up rondo's performance to "rust" right now, and some of it on team mates too. let's see about 15 to 20 games before passing some sort of judgement on this season's rondo.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I disagree with your take on the first game.  I thought the offense looked great with Rondo on the floor.  He controlled the game beautifully and made smart decisions with the basketball. 

This idea which has picked up considerable steam in the last couple of years that the point guard should never be allowed to dribble the ball in the half court offense while a play develops is one that I don't subscribe to.

I love watching good ball and player movement.  Having one of the best passers in the game is a plus for a ball movement offense, not a negative.
It's not just about passing, it's also about ball and player movement
When Rondo passes he usually stand around top of the key and just wait for other people to run
That's not what we want in a motion offense
As about game one, the Nets defense is horrible and other players (other than Rondo) is running
That's why we get open shot and Rondo got the assist
yes that makes him(or his number) look good, BUT we can't win games playing like this(without the big 3)
Game one Rondo only played 30mins and about 15mins? he didn't control the ball
I will say the more time Rondo control the ball the worse our offense will be

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I'd say Rondo opens the floor up, and opens lanes as the other team has to adjust to what rondo does and will do. He hits guys where they should get the ball. There were MANY times last night when our guys were standing there NOT moving at all.....No team will ever win that way.

Rondo doesn't LOOK for assists, he passes to the guys who get into good position. THAT, is the JOB. He is the leagues most PURE PG. How would you like an Allen Iverson...? No one else would. Score 30 points on 15 for 30 shooting.....LOL....BALL HOG....!!!