Author Topic: Extended Injury to Irving might be.....  (Read 3494 times)

Re: Extended Injury to Irving might be.....
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
...a blessing in disguise.

It will make the rotations more clear and give more shots to guys who probably need it more.

Hopefully Irving can get some rest and heal up and be FULLY healthy for the stretch run/playoff push.

But a non-contact injury is almost never good.

Sure. Why would we need our best player?

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Like I said I knew it wasnt serious. Tie them up and play. All this rest and caution is unnecessary. Ainge needs to find out how tough he is before he changes the entire franchise to build around him. This is a big game for the team and the guys need to see him step up and lead. All this babysitting...the old Celtics would laugh at these guys. I'm not talking about the 80s team, I'm talking about the 2008-12 team.

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:20 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Like I said I knew it wasnt serious. Tie them up and play. All this rest and caution is unnecessary. Ainge needs to find out how tough he is before he changes the entire franchise to build around him. This is a big game for the team and the guys need to see him step up and lead. All this babysitting...the old Celtics would laugh at these guys. I'm not talking about the 80s team, I'm talking about the 2008-12 team.

Pretty sure the Pacers didn't think Oladipo's knee "tendinitis" was serious......and then he goes and blows out his quad tendon.

I'm just glad it's not Kyrie's chronic left knee.

This time it's his right knee that is the culprit.

Hopefully he's just out for the AS break.

I'd rather he not play in the AS game anyways.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Kind of like how Hayward's injury was a blessing? That's worked out great for the team.  ::)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Kind of like how Hayward's injury was a blessing? That's worked out great for the team.  ::)

Uhhh Hayward never played for the Celtics prior to getting injured so we never had an idea what kind of leader he'd be or how the chemistry would be with the other guys.

Kyrie has shown on more than one occasion to be less than becoming of a leader.

I like how he's upped his assists game this year but the team still doesn't seem to be playing TOGETHER with him in the lineup.

For whatever reason the team seems to be more like a team when he's not in the lineup.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Uhhh Hayward never played for the Celtics prior to getting injured so we never had an idea what kind of leader he'd be or how the chemistry would be with the other guys.

I like how he's upped his assists game this year but the team still doesn't seem to be playing TOGETHER with him in the lineup.

For whatever reason the team seems to be more like a team when he's not in the lineup.

They looked real good without him down the stretch on Saturday night. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

My point is, injuries are never a blessing. If you think Irving is a problem on the team (I don't) then an injury isn't going to help that situation because he'll be back eventually and then reintegrating him becomes a problem.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Celtics with irving are one of the best teams in the league by stats and scouting. Irving also has a playoff history of going toe to toe with steph. If the problem is too many players thinking they all deserve to be the man, its the other ones who need to be benched.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe this is just a way of saying we have too many players who want minutes, in which case an injury to anyone would be a blessing in disguise. Ecluding bigs, then, i’d say the blessing order would be:

1. Rozier.

2. Hayward
3. Brown
4. Tatum
5. Smart/Irving

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
It may be good for the short term but when the playoffs come and the minutes go back to they were there will be discord.  Kyrie out for awhile does not do any good for the long term outlook.  The team does not need a short term fix.  They need a long term solution in a short period of time.

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You realize we had a bunch of guys blow out their knees on those teams right? Leon Powe, Kendrick Perkins, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

It will make the rotations more clear and give more shots to guys who probably need it more.

Hopefully Irving can get some rest and heal up and be FULLY healthy for the stretch run/playoff push.

I might rather have Rozier than Irving.  It seems as though things gelled last year with Rozier at the helm.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I might rather have Rozier than Irving.  It seems as though things gelled last year with Rozier at the helm.

Rozier is not half the player Kyrie is and doesn't have the intelligence on the court that Kyrie has. Also, he's not nearly as effective a shooter.

The East surprisingly enough is much better this season than last season. Last season's Celtic playoff team doesn't make it past the 2nd round (or maybe the 1st.) We need Kyrie for a deep playoff run.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Rozier is not half the player Kyrie is and doesn't have the intelligence on the court that Kyrie has. Also, he's not nearly as effective a shooter.

The East surprisingly enough is much better this season than last season. Last season's Celtic playoff team doesn't make it past the 2nd round (or maybe the 1st.) We need Kyrie for a deep playoff run.

Agreed, completely.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 01:22:40 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Well Kyrie is out vs Philly...we'll see if Rozier can step up in a crunch game. This game is a must-win.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D