Author Topic: Brown, Celtics agree on 4 years-115 million  (Read 13430 times)

Re: Brown, Celtics agree on 4 years-115 million
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Bit skeptical he's ever going to be worth that much, but I hope he proves me wrong.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 04:30:48 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Favorite Celtic. I'm glad he is staying.

Apparently Ainge thought he was worth more than Hield.

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Anyone know if there are any incentives in this contract? For example it's a $90 MM deal with $25 MM in incentives?

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a bit more than I figured but it's not my money.

no distractions during the season with this contract settled.  Tatum must be licking his chops for the next offseason.

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Don’t know that we had a choice really. Hopefully Brown proves to be worth it.

IDK, man.

If we are willing to shell that for Jaylen, wouldn't it be better if we just have him test the RFA market and match any offer?

A bad/mediocre team with cap space would have offered him max in all likelihood.

In which case, we should just match. If we are willing to go $115 million, surely we can go for the max if it comes to that.

The flip side, is if the market is soft on him, we could get him for his fair value.

IDK. I mean, I'm stoked that we are keeping Jaylen, but man, I think we could have played the negotiations better.

True, but Bobby Manning tweeted this, and I agree with him:

Better to cement trust, loyalty now than fester bad vibes into next July only to pay him the same thing. #Celtics were never getting a discount on him.

I know we went that route with Smart, but Jaylen clearly has a much higher ceiling and a lot of other guys around him were getting their extensions (Hield, now Sabonis, etc.)

I get it, but I think there are ways to earn Jaylen's trust without committing to this now.

JB himself said that he wanted to "earn it", then Danny should have let him. Tell him that he admires the fact that he wants to earn a bigger paycheck, and commit to him after the season. Tell him any offer he gets in Free Agency will be matched.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 04:41:35 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

IDK, man.

If we are willing to shell that for Jaylen, wouldn't it be better if we just have him test the RFA market and match any offer?

A bad/mediocre team with cap space would have offered him max in all likelihood.

In which case, we should just match. If we are willing to go $115 million, surely we can go for the max if it comes to that.

The flip side, is if the market is soft on him, we could get him for his fair value.

IDK. I mean, I'm stoked that we are keeping Jaylen, but man, I think we could have played the negotiations better.

It seems like a lot I know. 

But if he gets a max offer then we are at 170 for 5 right?  So there is some savings if DA really thinks that Jaylen was going to get a full 5 year max after this year.

well really you are comparing the first 4 years. If the Celtics waited till next offseason the max they could offer (at the current projected cap number) would have been 130/4.

oh ok, I didn't know it would only be 4 years max if another team offered in RFA...
so still saving a little bit, 3.75 million a year.

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Trust in Ainge.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Look at what Murray got. It's just the business. I was figuring more like 4/$100M, but it's not a terrible contract. The Celtics don't live in a vacuum. They haven't been ridiculously overpaying players. They have a good idea for Jaylens FMV and what other teams think of him.

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

IDK, man.

Yeah.  I don't see how his home-town Atlanta wouldn't have made a max offer sheet for him.

This is the price to retain this player in this market.  Simple as that.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Bit skeptical he's ever going to be worth that much, but I hope he proves me wrong.
Same here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
That’s a lot of money.  But there was a time that many people doubted the Smart extension, too.  Hopefully Brown proves worth it.

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Browns deal has no team or player options:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1186372592866742272

Also worth noting this 115 million number came directly form his agent, so its entirely possible a chunk of that is incentives. Agents always report the largest number.

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Whoo hoo 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we 've overpaid but I hope Brown proves me wrong as I don't see him as a max player given his present performance level.

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

IDK, man.

It seems like a lot I know. 

But if he gets a max offer then we are at 170 for 5 right?  So there is some savings if DA really thinks that Jaylen was going to get a full 5 year max after this year.

well really you are comparing the first 4 years. If the Celtics waited till next offseason the max they could offer (at the current projected cap number) would have been 130/4.

oh ok, I didn't know it would only be 4 years max if another team offered in RFA...
so still saving a little bit, 3.75 million a year.

This is not quite correct.

If Brown and the Celtics had waited for him to reach Restricted Free Agency next Summer, then the most any _other_ team could have offered him would have been a 4 year deal with a max Base Year Compensation of 25% of the salary cap and 5% x BYC raises.  With a cap estimate of 116M, that would be a total package of 120M over 4 years.

But the Celtics themselves still could have offered a 5 year, 25% Max with 8% raises.  That would be a 154M package over 5 years.

All those numbers are moot now, of course.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.