Author Topic: Crazy stats from Boston vs Toronto  (Read 1919 times)

Crazy stats from Boston vs Toronto
« on: October 26, 2019, 02:15:08 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
The C's had a TS% of 48.3 and Toronto had a TS% of 62.  No team has ever won with a TS% of 48.3 or lower when their opponent had a TS% of 62 or higher. 

It is virtually impossible to win when you shoot so poorly while your opponent shoots so well.  The C's outworked Toronto in virtually every way possible to accomplish this. 

The C's drew 9 offensive fouls.

The C's scored 21 2nd chance points while Toronto only managed 2.

The C's had 21 offensive rebounds to only 5 for Toronto.

The C's had only 10 total turnovers vs 23 by Toronto.

EDIT:  The TS% stat is for the regular season.  In a playoff game in 1984 between the N.J. Nets and Milwaukee the Nets won with a TS% of 47.1 while the Bucks had a TS% of 62.6.  That game appears to have been played similarly as the Nets had 13 fewer turnovers and 16 more offensive rebounds than Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:00:17 AM by The Oracle »

Re: Crazy stats from Boston vs Toronto
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 02:34:11 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Cool stat. TP.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 02:34:43 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Toronto's 3-point shooting was ridiculous. Siakam is a 6-9 power forward who plays like Kawhi Leonard. I thought we were looking at a loss tonite.

Celts will need to improve perimeter shooting - it is just too hard to win consistently by only outworking the other team without some easy points. I have been saying for a couple of years now that this team needs an athletic post defender/rebounder and a knock-down catch & shoot guy.

These two games were an exact opposite replica of last season. We started '18-'19 by beating Philly handily at home, then went on the road to Toronto, led early and faded in the 2nd half to lose. Anything opposite of last season is a good omen.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:40:40 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 03:25:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Toronto's 3-point shooting was ridiculous. Siakam is a 6-9 power forward who plays like Kawhi Leonard. I thought we were looking at a loss tonite.

Celts will need to improve perimeter shooting - it is just too hard to win consistently by only outworking the other team without some easy points. I have been saying for a couple of years now that this team needs an athletic post defender/rebounder and a knock-down catch & shoot guy.

These two games were an exact opposite replica of last season. We started '18-'19 by beating Philly handily at home, then went on the road to Toronto, led early and faded in the 2nd half to lose. Anything opposite of last season is a good omen.
Well we're currently hoping for Robert Williams and Carsen Edwards to be those players I guess. Not a huge fan of relying on Williams this much so soon-he's still so raw when it comes to the more minute aspects of the game. A prime Ibaka type would be huge for us, but I'm not sure where can we get such a player without giving up significant assets.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:11:45 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Good points all. Yeah, Rob Will's development is key for this franchise. It would be great if he could develop into a starter-level talent. We could then avoid having to give up big assets to acquire what we need at center to win titles. Of course, there is always that Memphis pick to draft a player to get us over the hump.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 05:15:45 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
21 offensive rebounds also helped the team when it's needed most last game. Hopefully this will be a common theme for this season as we haven't really had a great rebounding team for decades now.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 06:44:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Well we're currently hoping for Robert Williams and Carsen Edwards to be those players I guess. Not a huge fan of relying on Williams this much so soon-he's still so raw when it comes to the more minute aspects of the game. A prime Ibaka type would be huge for us, but I'm not sure where can we get such a player without giving up significant assets.
Yes, those are the ones.  As far as why the crazy stats, I also give credit to GWill for hard work and vet-like smarts, Kemba for an outstanding defensive game, and everyone for excellent perimeter defense (in spite of outstanding perimeter shooting by Tor).

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Williams has to learn how to use his body more to defend. He has the quickness to do this, but gets out of position too much. This is why he gets in early foul trouble. He tries to reach in after a guy goes by him to the paint, instead of moving in front and drawing the charge.  His lightening quick reflexes and excellent court vision suggest he is more than capable of executing this.  He can be so much more than a guy he seats away shots. You could see other players instructing him on this after he committed a foul last night in 2nd half.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I’m not sure what philly shot but I’m concerned with a TS of 62.  They were certainly hot but it teams getting hot becomes a pattern then that’s a reflection on the team defense.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 10:24:11 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I’m not sure what philly shot but I’m concerned with a TS of 62.  They were certainly hot but it teams getting hot becomes a pattern then that’s a reflection on the team defense.

I give 100% credit to the Raptors for their scorching hot night from beyond the arc.  The Celtics forced a bunch of turnovers, blocked a ton of shots, didn't allow many points in the paint, and kept the Raptors away from the free throw line.  I'm nothing but encouraged with the team defense from last night.  The Center spot is going to be an ongoing problem against elite competition, but I think the Celtics have a chance to be an excellent defensive team against 85% of the league.   

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 11:01:11 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The C's had a TS% of 48.3 and Toronto had a TS% of 62.  No team has ever won with a TS% of 48.3 or lower when their opponent had a TS% of 62 or higher. 

It is virtually impossible to win when you shoot so poorly while your opponent shoots so well.  The C's outworked Toronto in virtually every way possible to accomplish this. 

The C's drew 9 offensive fouls.

The C's scored 21 2nd chance points while Toronto only managed 2.

The C's had 21 offensive rebounds to only 5 for Toronto.

The C's had only 10 total turnovers vs 23 by Toronto.

EDIT:  The TS% stat is for the regular season.  In a playoff game in 1984 between the N.J. Nets and Milwaukee the Nets won with a TS% of 47.1 while the Bucks had a TS% of 62.6.  That game appears to have been played similarly as the Nets had 13 fewer turnovers and 16 more offensive rebounds than Milwaukee.

Don't forget, they also took 109 shots. The pace of the game was quick and benefitted the deeper Celtic team. Last year the pace was slow and predictable. Walker makes decisions much quicker than Kyrie did.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
saw this on twitter.

Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown are the first Celtics duo since Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker in 2002 to get 25+ points, 9+ rebounds and 4+ assists in the same regular season game. Jays are the youngest to ever do it for Boston.

14 other duos have accomplished that in Celtics regular season history. A few notables:

Havlicek & Cowens: 7 times
Bird & McHale: 6 times
Pierce & Walker: 4 times
Bird & Parish: 4 times

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is really interesting, TP. We won on hustle and grit - some of the shooting is just bad luck but we need to improve overall selection+rhythm.