Author Topic: I Used to Hate and Now I Like Him  (Read 6933 times)

Re: I Used to Hate and Now I Like Him
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I didn't like Kemba Walker when he came into the league but he has won me over with his hard work and improvement over the last several years. Transformed himself from a selfish inefficient chucker who doesn't play defense into one of the more dangerous and effective scoring guards in the league.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
A couple of people saying Kobe, but Kobe's been a little bit of a rollercoaster for me.

When he came into the league didn't like him.  Already seemed like a diva forcing his way to LAL.  Then there's the early accolades that I felt were shallow:
* All Star in 2nd year out of high school, ya but only because he was voted by fans, that doesn't really count.  Diminishes what KG did the year before (being voted by coaches).
* In the playoffs right away and winning championships early, ya well that's what happens when you force yourself to a big market playoff team, and how come Shaq leaves and you suddenly miss the playoffs?

The biggest Kobe fans seemed as arrogant as he was!

But then during that '08-'10 run, he started to earn my respect, probably from the stories I was reading.  Guys like Ron Artest would talk about how everyone's relaxing on the plane while Kobe's going over game film and pulling guys in to review their stuff with him.  I was impressed.  I can appreciate the guys work ethic.  Started to earn my respect.  And being able to maintain his production until age 34.  Hats off to the man.

Now I'm back to not liking the guy.  Since his retirement, I just see the super arrogance again now with shallow attempts at branding.  I cringe so hard with those Mamba Mentality challenges.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:47:25 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Maybe an unpopular one: Lebron.

Guy was the worst when the C’s were facing off against him. But his work ethic is unassailable. He’s a good dad. He values winning immensely. He has a healthy respect for history, and the game, and his place within it. And he’s just plain incredible. Top-5 all time AT LEAST. Probably top-2. Gotta tip your cap.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Since "Hate" only applies to Lakers in my world, I think the only one who comes to mind as a hate-to-like is Shaq.  His stint with the C's, though unsuccessful, forced a shift, and I have to admit I get a kick out of him now.   I'm in the process of shifting re: Jerry West.  I hated him back in his playing days and as Coach/GM with LAL.  But I am liking his role of building non-Laker teams.    If GSW and/or Clips prevent Laker championships in the coming years, I may be full on like for West.   

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 06:16:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Going back in time:   Rick Barry.

I hated that guy so much.  If I have to explain why, you are too young.   Later came to really respect him.

Funny. Just the opposite for me. I loved him as a basketball player, but kind of hated him as an announcer.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Fair enough -- I actually kinda still hated him as an announcer, too!  I just was able to really respect his game when he was no longer a thorn in the side of my teams!   Everything people hated about Danny Ainge I felt in triple about Barry when he was playing.  Sneaky, dirty, instigator, cheap shot artist -- all those kinds of words would come to mind.  But like Ainge, the guy had mad skills and was smart as hell on the court.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 06:26:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kobe

The first year I really started following the game was 2009 and I found Kobe to be arrogant, overrated, and inefficient. Lakers fans were obnoxious and idealize him, and I thought it was ridiculous that he gave himself the Black Mamba nickname.

Now I like him.

I like the work that he has done as a retired player and the way he carries himself. I've gone back and watched the tape from his destructive #8 seasons. What I once saw as undeserved arrogance I now see as holding himself and others to a standard of excellence.

I even own a pair of Mamba Rage's that are some of my favorite shoes to play in. Kobe is a good dude.
So does the fact he may be a rapist have no effect on your opinion of Kobe?

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Kobe

The first year I really started following the game was 2009 and I found Kobe to be arrogant, overrated, and inefficient. Lakers fans were obnoxious and idealize him, and I thought it was ridiculous that he gave himself the Black Mamba nickname.

Now I like him.

I like the work that he has done as a retired player and the way he carries himself. I've gone back and watched the tape from his destructive #8 seasons. What I once saw as undeserved arrogance I now see as holding himself and others to a standard of excellence.

I even own a pair of Mamba Rage's that are some of my favorite shoes to play in. Kobe is a good dude.
So does the fact he may be a rapist have no effect on your opinion of Kobe?

I think there are many professional athletes as well as people in other professions that have done things like Kobe and who either weren't caught or had it buried.

Its not that I don't think what he did was wrong its that I'm cynical about the morality of most powerful people. I'm not really too interested in players personal lives.

But I'll also admit that back when his trial was going on I wasn't following the game or really sports in general to the level I am now. When I think of Kobe the rape trial isn't really what comes to mind.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:43:49 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The Spurs and 2000s Pistons. Tim Duncan and Pistons used to bore me alot. Then I finally understood the concept of defense and team play now I like them.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 07:48:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. Disliked both of them before they became Celtics, but liked them after when they became Celtics. Ray Allen may not count, because I am back to disliking him after he left for the Heat.

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Hate is a strong word.
I used to dislike Morris before he was a Celtic .
I really don’t like Stephan A- don’t think it will ever change.
Loved KG before he joined us.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Chris Weber sucks

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I would have to say Dennis Rodman. When he was with the 'Bad Boy' Pistons I despised him along with a few other players there . The thing with Rodman though that I later realized is the guy was all about winning.

Rarely do you see an NBA player who has as much of an impact on the game with really only two skills, defense and rebounding, as Rodman. I remember reading how he disliked playing with David Robinson because he felt Robinson didnt give it his all. I don't think many people woulld say that Rodman didnt give the game everything he had.

Sure he was a bit of a nut but still the guy earned every player in the game's respect due to his no nonsense (on the ocurt anyway) approach and tough  hard nosed style of play.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would have to say Dennis Rodman. When he was with the 'Bad Boy' Pistons I despised him along with a few other players there . The thing with Rodman though that I later realized is the guy was all about winning.

Rarely do you see an NBA player who has as much of an impact on the game with really only two skills, defense and rebounding, as Rodman. I remember reading how he disliked playing with David Robinson because he felt Robinson didnt give it his all. I don't think many people woulld say that Rodman didnt give the game everything he had.

Sure he was a bit of a nut but still the guy earned every player in the game's respect due to his no nonsense (on the ocurt anyway) approach and tough  hard nosed style of play.

Watching the 30 for 30 special about him on ESPN. He played so hard. Guys should study him. Smart has some of his intensity.

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Going back in time:   Rick Barry.

I hated that guy so much.  If I have to explain why, you are too young.   Later came to really respect him.

Funny. Just the opposite for me. I loved him as a basketball player, but kind of hated him as an announcer.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I loved him for Rick Barry’s Basketball Bible- a yearly book in the late 80’s/early 90’s in which he gave an individual scouting report on every player in the NBA.  The book was awesome!

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 09:33:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Oh and LeBron James. I used to hate him since he kept smacking us in the 2010s, but I've come to appreciate his accomplishments and the effectiveness of his playstyle when he's surrounded by dependent talent. His floor raising is awesome-if he's surrounded by a bunch of 3 and D guys the team will likely win 50+ games. That isn't what the Lakers have though, Davis is a big man who needs the ball and they have a bunch of role players who don't really need (nor want) a player table setting everything for them. I really think they will miss the playoffs by underperforming compared to their squad on paper.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA