Author Topic: Smart 3rd Highest Rated Rookie in 2K15  (Read 11231 times)

Smart 3rd Highest Rated Rookie in 2K15
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Source

Kevin Durant - 95
Jabari Parker - 78
Andrew Wiggins - 77
Julius Randle - 76
Marcus Smart - 76
Doug McDermott - 75
Aaron Gordon - 74
Shabazz Napier - 74
Elfrid Payton - 74
Nik Stauskas - 74
Zach Lavine - 72
James Young - 68

Does this confirm he is destined for greatness???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:46:12 PM by Vox_Populi »

Re: Smart 3rd Highest Rated Rookie in 2K15
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »

fitzhickey

Napier and Gordon are about 4 points too high.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't play many video games, or ever did, really, but the player ratings on the NBA games are always hilariously inaccurate, especially for the Legends' Team.  I think NBA Live 2004 gave MJ a rating of 99 :o despite the fact that he was a horrible three-point shooter.  It really makes me wonder how old the people are who are designing these games haha ;D

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »

fitzhickey

I don't play many video games, or ever did, really, but the player ratings on the NBA games are always hilariously inaccurate, especially for the Legends' Team.  I think NBA Live 2004 gave MJ a rating of 99 :o despite the fact that he was a horrible three-point shooter.  It really makes me wonder how old the people are who are designing these games haha ;D
I'll let you know that MJ still gets a 99, except rookie MJ.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

The overall 99 is different from having 99 across the board  :P It's entirely feasible that MJ has a 99 rating considering he's quick, athletic, finishes well inside and outside, can post up, can dunk, can pass, can defend, and can rebound. Plus, he has high iq on both offense and defense. Also, he can actually hit a 3 (unlike a guy like Shaq. Remember, they're rated on the same curve). He just has high stats across the board, though not necessarily perfect stats. This is what makes him fall in the 99 overall range.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:59:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is a game not a simulation.   I don't expect to to be accurate as it is a video game and not a very realistic one at that.   Though realism has improved through the years.

Oscar Robertson in the early 61-62 should be the only  99 out there because of this:

In the 1961–62 season, Robertson became the only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season, with 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds and 11.4 assists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Robertson#Milwaukee_Bucks_and_the_.27Oscar_Robertson_suit.27

Wilt should probably be the highest ranked Center given he lead the league in most categories at some point.  Jordan should be up there but I think more like a 93-95 range.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
A 99 rating is too low for MJ.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'll let you know that MJ still gets a 99, except rookie MJ.

So what rating does the rookie MJ get, 98? ::)

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
It is a game not a simulation.   I don't expect to to be accurate as it is a video game and not a very realistic one at that.   Though realism has improved through the years.

Oscar Robertson in the early 61-62 should be the only  99 out there because of this:

In the 1961–62 season, Robertson became the only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season, with 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds and 11.4 assists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Robertson#Milwaukee_Bucks_and_the_.27Oscar_Robertson_suit.27

Wilt should probably be the highest ranked Center given he lead the league in most categories at some point.  Jordan should be up there but I think more like a 93-95 range.
On the topic of the Big O, the only condition attached to Oscar's triple-double season is that the league pace factor was 126. Which isn't to trivialize his achievement, but it does put it into some perspective.

If you adjusted for pace (league average), Oscar would have averaged 23.1 ppg, 9.4 rbpg, and 8.5 apg last season. Which, funnily enough, has still never been done. Conversely, there are probably a few players that would have averaged a triple-double if you gave them more possessions. Again, all things considered, Robertson is still one of the GOATs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:16:29 AM by Vox_Populi »

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 11:46:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I'd give Larry a 99, but I'm biased, of course ;D  The guy who never gets respect in terms of rating is Isiah Thomas.  He's always around 75.  Really guys?  He's a top 3 point guard of all time and you give him a C?  WOW :o

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 12:07:35 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Trade Rondo

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
The ratings are a joke...I'll still never understand they bother using a 1 to 99 system when they only use numbers 50 to 99. Not too many rookies should be over a 70, and most should be around 50.

I mean, 50 is average. Not 75. That's above average.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:57:55 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
videogame ratings (and NBADraft.net prospect ratings) always remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 07:25:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
getting out of topic quite fast lol. Regarding the Jordan issue, 99 is acceptable due to the metrics they used. And like someone here said, 99 overall doesnt mean all of your stats is 99. He just has high stats across the board. Of course Larry wont ever have as high ratings as jordan has in video games, most intangibles that larry has like bbiq(although 2k does have that, but its far from the real thing), leadership, etc. and due to him not as high in the athleticism department like jumping speed etc.

Athleticism is way overrated in the ratings of video games, but you cant blame them. A player's raw athletic stats along with shooting ratings is what determines how unguardable a virtual player is. You cannot really put Paul Pierce's offensive savvy for example, into a measurable stat for a video game to emulate. That is why players like PP, or Larry who doesnt rely on athleticism would appear lower than their actual ratings are when it comes to video games.

Anyway I saw a video where rookies were asked to guess what their 2k rankings would be and only Jabari and Smart got their rankings right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVimMBE5i5A

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

On the topic of the Big O, the only condition attached to Oscar's triple-double season is that the league pace factor was 126. Which isn't to trivialize his achievement, but it does put it into some perspective.

If you adjusted for pace (league average), Oscar would have averaged 23.1 ppg, 9.4 rbpg, and 8.5 apg last season. Which, funnily enough, has still never been done. Conversely, there are probably a few players that would have averaged a triple-double if you gave them more possessions. Again, all things considered, Robertson is still one of the GOATs.
I guess you don't realize how much harder it was to get an assist in the 50s and 60s compared to nowadays.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale