Author Topic: Germany - England  (Read 6826 times)

Germany - England
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I think a classic like this deserves it´s own thread.

What do you expect from the game? I´ve heard Walcott will be out due to injury.

On the german side, watch out for Helmes, he is a very interesting striker.
The german team had some chemistry issues after the Euro. Kuranyi is banned from the team, Ballack and Frings criticized Löw heavily. I hope this won´t harm the teamplay too much. A win against England (would be/is always) sweet  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Re: Germany - England
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
It is a shame that both teams are suffering a lot of injuries at the moment.  It will still be worth watching.

I am on the other side of the fence though, a victory against Germany would be and is always sweet  ;D

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
Yes, too bad with the injuries.

Pretty boring, although intense game so far.
Germany has trouble with the quick and agile strikers. The score of 1-0 is fair, imo.

I hope we´ll see Helmes for Gomez in the second half, and more offense in general from both teams.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Terry redeemed himself with that late goal after that earlier defensive debacle. 

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
Well, deserved win for England. Sloppy play and terrible spacing on the field are just two reasons why we lost the game, not to mention that England wanted it more.

The goal for Germany was pretty funny. England plays better than pre-Euro, but their goalies still suck  :P All they need is a reliable goalie. Not a great one, just reliable, and even that`s impossible, it seems.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I expected 90 minutes of tedious and dullness and I got them. It seems Walcott is out for the rest of the season, that's a shame. 

On the other hand, Brazil and Portugal will start playing in an hour. Now, that's a game.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
Brazil, eh? I´d rather see Portugal - Angola... ;)
Brazil is not very impressive under Dunga, imo.
Will Daniel Fernandes play?

In other news: Maradona wins his first game as Argentina´s national coach.
1-0 against Scotland.
Btw, this was the craziest move ever. The current argentinian team has such an incredible offensive potential with youngsters like Messi, Aguero and Higuain, but they let a certified nutcase and ex-junkie coach.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:05:17 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
1-0 against Scotland.
Btw, this was the craziest move ever. The current argentinian team has such an incredible offensive potential with youngsters like Messi, Aguero and Higuain, but they let a certified nutcase and ex-junkie coach.

To the rest of the world Diego is a junkie but to Argentinians he is God. He`ll be more of a motivator than a coach.

BTW The game against Scotland had a great meaning to Maradona for another reason. He scored his first goal with NT against there.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:28:20 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
1-0 against Scotland.

To the rest of the world Diego is a junkie but to Argentinians he is God. He`ll be more of a motivator than a coach.

BTW The game against Scotland had a great meaning to Maradona for another reason. He scored his first goal with NT against there.

He's not a junky anymore, give him a break. He's the greatest footballer ever to have played the game. Credit where it's due.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Here's the only thing I have to contribute to a soccer conversation!  I saw Diego Maradona's name on here and it made me think of my one soccer (errr futbol) claim to fame.  I was at the World Cup match between Greece and Argentina in `94 where Maradona scored his final Cup goal.

there it is...I have now used up my one bit of soccer conversation I have to offer.

sorry to interrupt

It was a hell of a lot of fun going to a World Cup game though
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:57:16 AM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:50:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It remains to be seen if he is still a junkie or not. But i agree that it can`t delete his football legacy. He is the best (well second best to be honest) player i`ve seen

BTW i saw a couple of Scots holding a banner saying "Diego thanks for 1986" LOL

@Redz I hope you`ve kept the ticket. I remember the game ... It was at 04.00 in the morning local time and at 07.00 i had to go take some exams similar to SAT. Sleepless and with 4 goals on my back no wonder i didn`t do well

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
@Redz I hope you`ve kept the ticket. I remember the game ... It was at 04.00 in the morning local time and at 07.00 i had to go take some exams similar to SAT. Sleepless and with 4 goals on my back no wonder i didn`t do well

I do indeed have the ticket stub.

I woke up that day to start a job at a catering company in the wee hours of the morning.  I went in and worked for an hour or two before coming to the realization that the woman running the place was completely evil.  I left and went home to go back to sleep when a good friend of mine called with a spare ticket to the game.  I ended up having an absolute blast (instead of working for a cruel, heartless wench - who in years since I've heard numerous stories of how wretched she was to work for).  In short, it was a good decision!
Yup

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Here's the only thing I have to contribute to a soccer conversation!  I saw Diego Maradona's name on here and it made me think of my one soccer (errr futbol) claim to fame.  I was at the World Cup match between Greece and Argentina in `94 where Maradona scored his final Cup goal.

there it is...I have now used up my one bit of soccer conversation I have to offer.

sorry to interrupt

It was a hell of a lot of fun going to a World Cup game though

It's a shame your insight to football (soccer - whatever) is so limited. Even so, very jealous I never saw Maradona play. He was definitely coked up then too.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Quote from: celticmaestro

It's a shame your insight to football (soccer - whatever) is so limited.

It just wasn't a part of the culture I was brought up in.  The only time I ever played it was in intramural in 9th grade.  I enjoyed it, but not enough to get too involved.  I'm not blind though, and I do see what an important part of the sports world it is.  I enjoy watching the Cup games, though I don't follow all of the qualifiers and what not.  What I enjoy most about watching the Cup matches is how clearly important they are to the players and the fans.  I don't really understand the nuances of the game enough to truly appreciate what is going on when teams spend the better part of a game establishing an attack, only to take a few shots on net...etc...
Yup

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 02:25:28 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Quote from: celticmaestro

It's a shame your insight to football (soccer - whatever) is so limited.

It just wasn't a part of the culture I was brought up in.  The only time I ever played it was in intramural in 9th grade.  I enjoyed it, but not enough to get too involved.  I'm not blind though, and I do see what an important part of the sports world it is.  I enjoy watching the Cup games, though I don't follow all of the qualifiers and what not.  What I enjoy most about watching the Cup matches is how clearly important they are to the players and the fans.  I don't really understand the nuances of the game enough to truly appreciate what is going on when teams spend the better part of a game establishing an attack, only to take a few shots on net...etc...

It comes down to class and tactics. That's why you have to look at someone like Maradona as the greatest of all time because it came so easy to him. Football has a nickname, "The Beautiful Game" and when it's played properly it really is a beautiful game.