Author Topic: Official Euro 2008 Thread  (Read 87587 times)

Re: Official Euro 2008 Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
btw what makes a thread official? lol

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Croatia is a much better team than many people give them credit for, and I have a feeling they'll finish higher than third. They're very explosive, and very under-rated.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
What a superb game going on right now between Holland and Italy. Outstanding performance by both teams... and the Clockwork Orange is up by 3.

Scolari doesn't deserve the love he's getting in this thread, btw.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
im greek and im going to have to go with Greece as who i want to win obviously.. its going to be tough but like last time around impossible is nothing .. biggest upset in euro cup history ..

as far as who i think will win its gotta be germany for me .. would go into detail more but i dont have ton of time and i pretty much agree with the others who took germany .. something about France i dont like ( there team, not the place ;D ) .. maybe its the lack of zidane ..

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Croatia is a much better team than many people give them credit for, and I have a feeling they'll finish higher than third. They're very explosive, and very under-rated.

Croatia is always the underrated dark horse. Many experts pick them before every tourney as a surprise, but in the end, there`s always something that holds them back. Hard to judge...

What a superb game going on right now between Holland and Italy. Outstanding performance by both teams... and the Clockwork Orange is up by 3.

Why do you think so? I see him as the architect of this new Portugal team  ???
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

not sure...

i also think croatia are an explosive team - we'll learn a lot about them this thursday when they take on the best team in the tournament, germany.

the netherlands dismantled italy tonight (although, the scoreline was slightly unjust), rafael van der vaart was sublime. if i'm italy's coach roberto donadoni i'm starting allesandro del piero in the next game.

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
What was Donadoni thinking? You never play Ambrosini, Gattuso and Pirlo in the same midfield. Talk about a lack of attacking quality. Pirlo is the only one who can pass the ball and he does his damage from his own half sitting back and picking guys out. Italy's striker had no help up front because of this idiotic team selection.

Outside of the central midfield I also thought Grosso needs to play. Also, I'm not convinced by Camronesi or Di Natale, never have been. Del Piero supplied a threat when he came on, I'd like to see him play. Not a lot of other attacking talents in the side. I think Cassano is best served as a change of pace substitution when it comes to international football.

His overall team selection is problematic. Way too many central midfielders, midfielders that are defensive or central. No attacking midifielders like a Totti and a lack of wingers.

As for Italy's performance. Their attacking play was atrocious but it is atrocious more often than not so that doesn't concern me at this stage. Now their defense, that's another issue, that worries me. No hope of getting out of this group without a better performance at the back. Their manager worries me also.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:56:28 PM by Who »

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

You know, this topic actually came up amongst the Moderators, and we decided that we are going to start charging Tommy Points for a notary service to make threads officially Official ;)
Yup

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
What was Donandoni thinking? You never play Ambrosini, Gattuso and Pirlo in the same midfield. Talk about a lack of attacking quality. Pirlo is the only one who can pass the ball and he does his damage from his own half sitting back and picking guys out. Italy's striker had no help up front because of this idiotic team selection.

Outside of the central midfield I also thought Grosso needs to play. Also, I'm not convinced by Camronesi or Di Natale, never have been. Del Piero supplied a threat when he came on, I'd like to see him play. Not a lot of other attacking talents in the side. I think Cassano is best served as a change of pace substitution when it comes to international football.

His overall team selection is problematic. Way too many central midfielders, midfielders that are defensive or central. No attacking midifielders like a Totti and a lack of wingers.

As for Italy's performance. Their attacking play was atrocious but it is atrocious more often than not so that doesn't concern me at this stage. Now their defense, that's another issue, that worries me. No hope of getting out of this group without a better performance at the back. Their manager worries me also.

Agree, apart from your comments on DiNatale and Del Piero, the former was dangerous, the latter to old to go the length or get thing fired up from the go. 
But arent you forgetting someone? Gio, man of the match for me, this veteran. Instrumental in 2 goals and scored the throatcutter. He slaughtered AC Milan, or was it the Italian squad?
WHAT A MATCH!!
And what a poor performance by the French, though i have to admit the Romanians smothered us too with this play in the qualifiers.

Holland to the Final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
 ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:04:22 PM by DutchHoops »

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 04:59:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The loss of Eduardo has doomed Croatia. I liked them as an outside pick prior to his injury. Without him they lack goalscorers and direct attacking players. I can't see them making an impact on this tournament.

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 05:05:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I love Scolari. I think he's an excellent manager who's doing great things with Portugal. The organization of his sides is superb. I love the flow of his team's football, great understanding of how and where to attack.

Look around the powers that be in Euro 2008, who's better than Scolari?

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
What was Donandoni thinking? You never play Ambrosini, Gattuso and Pirlo in the same midfield. Talk about a lack of attacking quality. Pirlo is the only one who can pass the ball and he does his damage from his own half sitting back and picking guys out. Italy's striker had no help up front because of this idiotic team selection.

I think Italy has serious problems, and they already began in the qualifying.
I agree about your take on Ambrosini, Gattuso and Pirlo. Pirlo, who is a great strategic player, imo, and Gattuso is enough. Maybe Donadoni felt the pressure in his country to strengthen the defense? The italians are very critical, knowledgeable fans when it comes to tactics, and the defense has always been their biggest strength. Maybe they demanded more defense after their performances in the qualifying? I disagree about Cassano. Maybe I haven`t seen him enough, but I´m not blown away by his talent or performances since he was 21. Good, but not great. Toni is absolutely their best striker, and if he performs like he did today, they struggle as a team. Anyway, the game showed that Del Piero should start in this tourney, period.

But there`s so much more. Donadoni is no Lippi, and almost every player seem to have lost a step since the world cup, while the younger players didn´t develop as expected. I think that team needs to rebuild.  :-[
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
I love Scolari. I think he's an excellent manager who's doing great things with Portugal. The organization of his sides is superb. I love the flow of his team's football, great understanding of how and where to attack.

I won´t rank them, but Rehhagel, Löw, Beenhakker, Hiddink and Scolari are the top coaches, imo.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I won´t rank them, but Rehhagel, Löw, Beenhakker, Hiddink and Scolari are the top coaches, imo.
I don't rate Rehhagel as a top level manager. He's an incredible tactician who works best with mediocre talents. When he has brilliant players he doesn't give the freedom to attack or to perform to their fullest. Too controlling, hurts creativity. That's why he failed at Bayern. That flaw kills me and is why I don't rate him as a top manager, because I don't believe he's a great manager for top sides. But for a team like Greece that lacks top tier talent, he just might be the best manager in the world. Nobody is better at picking at details and finding holes to exploit the opposition. Great defensive coach also.

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Dutch team played great today. They look very dangerous on the counter. Good creatives passers and strikers too. I'd like to see how their defense handles opposition that actually tries to attack competently though. Impressive opening game but jury is still very much out.