Author Topic: Great Jackie Mac Article: Irving Says "Leaving Was Inevitable"  (Read 4247 times)

Re: Great Jackie Mac Article: Irving Says "Leaving Was Inevitable"
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Some quotes here make Irving look pretty bad:

During a rare practice in the middle of last season, coach Tyronn Lue, who was standing next to assistant coach and Irving confidant Phil Handy, called out to his young point guard.

"Ky," Lue said, "I want you to play a little faster."

"Why?" Irving asked.

"Because if we play faster, we get shots off easier."

"I don't need to play faster to get my shot off," Irving replied. "I can do that anytime."

"I'm not talking about your shot. I'm talking about RJ and JR," Lue said, citing teammates Richard Jefferson and Smith.

"Well, that's No. 23's job," Irving replied, referring to James.

According to members of the Cavs organization who witnessed the exchange, Lue ended the conversation by walking away, shaking his head.

oof

Irving, for his part, laments the fact that his conversation with Lue ended without a resolution. "At that time, we had probably lost a few [games]," Irving says now. "[Lue] is coming up to me and saying, 'We've got to play faster,' and I probably wasn't willing to accept it at the time. So maybe I'd like a do-over on that.

at least he acknowledges that wasnt the best look.
Yeah that is the concerning part.  Your coach asks you to do something and you say no and put the blame on the team's best player.  Not a good look at all and very concerning going forward.

That quote DEFINITELY shows that Kyrie handled that situation like a complete Diva.

Certainly not a shining moment for Kyrie but I think you can also chalk a lot of that up to being young & immature.   Like most early to mid 20 somethings. 

It's eyeopening but not entirely unexpected given age & position.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

During a rare practice in the middle of last season, coach Tyronn Lue, who was standing next to assistant coach and Irving confidant Phil Handy, called out to his young point guard.

"Why?" Irving asked.

"I don't need to play faster to get my shot off," Irving replied. "I can do that anytime."

"I'm not talking about your shot. I'm talking about RJ and JR," Lue said, citing teammates Richard Jefferson and Smith.

According to members of the Cavs organization who witnessed the exchange, Lue ended the conversation by walking away, shaking his head.

oof

Irving, for his part, laments the fact that his conversation with Lue ended without a resolution. "At that time, we had probably lost a few [games]," Irving says now. "[Lue] is coming up to me and saying, 'We've got to play faster,' and I probably wasn't willing to accept it at the time. So maybe I'd like a do-over on that.

Yeah that is the concerning part.  Your coach asks you to do something and you say no and put the blame on the team's best player.  Not a good look at all and very concerning going forward.

That quote DEFINITELY shows that Kyrie handled that situation like a complete Diva.

Certainly not a shining moment for Kyrie but I think you can also chalk a lot of that up to being young & immature.   Like most early to mid 20 somethings. 

It was like 8 months ago, though.  It wasn't like it was 4 years ago and he has matured since then.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

"Why?" Irving asked.

oof

It was like 8 months ago, though.  It wasn't like it was 4 years ago and he has matured since then.

He's 25.  Is he a saint? No.  None of them are.

Hell, the best player in the league is 33 years old and still runs around doing immature things from time to time.

A lot of this stuff is a combination of ego, age, & being handed stuff to you on a silver platter since you were a kid. 

None of this is particularly eye opening.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 10:30:41 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don’t care what he said to who in Cleveland. I have no idea what that team was like or how the players get along or the competency of the coaches. I don’t know what was going on that day or anything else that could’ve possibly been said or done that we don’t know about. I also don’t know who leaked that quote about him and Lue at practice. Could be someone from the James camp and I don’t trust much from them.

All I care about his what he’s doing now and how he and Brad get along. Looks great so far and if it starts to turn south then Danny will just trade him probably.
Peace through Tyranny