Author Topic: Celtics/Clippers trade idea  (Read 5374 times)

Re: Celtics/Clippers trade idea
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Yeah I don't understand why people are enamored with DeAndre Jordan.

It's the standard cliche that you can't teach height or athleticism.  Given past team deficiencies in both areas, some fans may be too desperate in wanting a player who possess both attributes with out fully considering the player's negative traits.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
No.

Celtics give away the best two players and take back the worst contract (Jordan)

For a small guard of the future to go along with the other two small guards of the present and future.

Yes, can we?

You name a better deal that we can do? Take in to consideration that the other team has to be a contender, has to be somewhere they want to go, and a team that is willing/have room to take on both there

Look I hear ya, tough to stomach, but can we do better?

Im pretty sure Their are not many other teams that KG waives his clause for.

Once again I would prefer to keep them, but if we are going to trade I think it works, everyone comes out happy...IMO

LOl, can we do better?  Seriously?  An overpayed C who shoots 42% from the free throw line and can't play in the 4th quarter, Odom who we'd have to waive, Butler the only guy on the planet to go through Mountain Dew withdrawls, and a backup point guard.  This collection just lost their third straight to the Wizards.

Are you seriously asking if we could do better than that for two Hall of Famers who are signed to very good deals for All Star caliber players?

Yes, Im serious.
Find me a better deal?

The team has to be a contender, has to be a prefered dest. for them, has to be a team that can take on both there contracts.

A contender, preferred destination and can handle both of their contracts that makes us a better basketball team than your Clippers trade.  Ok, let me think here...give me a minute...its coming to me...just a second...OK, I think I have it.  Boston.

Yeah, 'cause being a team struggling to hang onto a .500 record and the 8th playoff spot in the East is the ultimate fantasy of all fans.

Mike

Add Jordan (if this was Micheal in his prime then I get it but not DeAndre) and Bledsoe, subtract Pierce and Garnett.  Are we now contenders? 

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
For pete's sake, Omer Asik averaged 3.1 pts and 5.3 rebounds with Chicago and got 3 years, 26 million from Houston.
Asik is currently paid less and producing more than Jordan in a roughly similar role. I don't see how this example helps your argument.

I am shocked...SHOCKED...that you fail to see the obvious implication.  Asik's production in Chicago was significantly below Jordan's and that's the contract he got.  If a big is producing better numbers, as Jordan is, you're going to have to pay more than that in almost all circumstances.  If Asik continues to get the numbers he is this season, what do you think he'll command on the market when his current deal is up?

The argument isn't just KG vs. Bledsoe/Jordan.  The argument also includes KG vs. whatever lesser deal you might get for him and Bledsoe/Jordan vs. nothing but cap space, which is what Boston will have if KG simply retires in Green.

Let me try and put it even more simply.

KG for Bledsoe/Jordan isn't a great deal.  But Bledsoe/Jordan is probably better than anything else Boston could get now and Bledsoe/Jordan will very likely be a whole lot better than whatever Boston could get with the cap space left after KG retires.

Sheesh.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
I want to start by saying I do not want to see these guys go, but...

KG and Pierce to Clippers for Bledsoe,Jordan,Butler,Odom. I think This deal puts LA in a great position to win now. PP and KG with Griff and Paul could be deadly.  As for C's, they get 2 young pieces for the future, and when Odoms 8 mill come off the books next year, with a few other moves have enough to bring in Big Al or J.Smith in via FA.

Yeah, we should just hand the ring to them, why not?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Yeah I don't understand why people are enamored with DeAndre Jordan. If he was still on a rookie deal or a even a cheap one it'd make sense. Right now the comparisons to Perk are apt for him, alebit with a different skill set.
I'm enamored with him for several reasons.
1. Long and Athletic
2. Good Rebounder
3. Only 24 years old
4. How many good young centers are there in the league.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No.

Celtics give away the best two players and take back the worst contract (Jordan)

For a small guard of the future to go along with the other two small guards of the present and future.

Yes, can we?

You name a better deal that we can do? Take in to consideration that the other team has to be a contender, has to be somewhere they want to go, and a team that is willing/have room to take on both there

Look I hear ya, tough to stomach, but can we do better?

Im pretty sure Their are not many other teams that KG waives his clause for.

Once again I would prefer to keep them, but if we are going to trade I think it works, everyone comes out happy...IMO

LOl, can we do better?  Seriously?  An overpayed C who shoots 42% from the free throw line and can't play in the 4th quarter, Odom who we'd have to waive, Butler the only guy on the planet to go through Mountain Dew withdrawls, and a backup point guard.  This collection just lost their third straight to the Wizards.

Are you seriously asking if we could do better than that for two Hall of Famers who are signed to very good deals for All Star caliber players?

Yes, Im serious.
Find me a better deal?

The team has to be a contender, has to be a prefered dest. for them, has to be a team that can take on both there contracts.

A contender, preferred destination and can handle both of their contracts that makes us a better basketball team than your Clippers trade.  Ok, let me think here...give me a minute...its coming to me...just a second...OK, I think I have it.  Boston.

Yeah, 'cause being a team struggling to hang onto a .500 record and the 8th playoff spot in the East is the ultimate fantasy of all fans.

Mike

Add Jordan (if this was Micheal in his prime then I get it but not DeAndre) and Bledsoe, subtract Pierce and Garnett.  Are we now contenders?

I'm not saying trade KG and Pierce for Bledsoe and Jordan.  I wouldn't do that deal even if the Clippers through in Odom and Butler.  But let's say you do that deal.  Boston certainly isn't going to be much worse with Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and Odom than they have been for most of this season with KG, Pierce and Rondo.  Boston also gets much younger, gets some salary cap help, gets assets that will have FAR greater trade value in the future and getting Bledsoe makes trading Rondo and getting back a major star much more possible.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no thanks on this deal.  only thing I'd want from the Clips for KG/PP is Griffin and that's not happening

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah I don't understand why people are enamored with DeAndre Jordan. If he was still on a rookie deal or a even a cheap one it'd make sense. Right now the comparisons to Perk are apt for him, alebit with a different skill set.
1. Long and Athletic
2. Good Rebounder
3. Only 24 years old
Monroe, Drummond, Cousins, Sanders, Hickson... really depends on what your definition of "young" and "center".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I'm not saying trade KG and Pierce for Bledsoe and Jordan.  I wouldn't do that deal even if the Clippers through in Odom and Butler.  But let's say you do that deal.  Boston certainly isn't going to be much worse with Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and Odom than they have been for most of this season with KG, Pierce and Rondo.  Boston also gets much younger, gets some salary cap help, gets assets that will have FAR greater trade value in the future and getting Bledsoe makes trading Rondo and getting back a major star much more possible.

Mike

its a matter of opinion, but I feel the Cap Space gained from KG/PP retiring to be better assets than a backup pg (Bledsoe) and the worst FT shooter in the league (Jordan).

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1. Long and Athletic
2. Good Rebounder
3. Only 24 years old

First three are good.

The problem is, he does not fit into the 4th group.

And he has also appears to have hit a ceiling.  There has been little recent growth.

More to the point, you spend that kind of money on a serviceable big man (which he is) after you have the stars in place.  The Celtics do not.  That contract along with Green's will doom the Celtic into the range of 9th seed in the east hoping to get lucky in the lotto. 

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
1. Long and Athletic
2. Good Rebounder
3. Only 24 years old

First three are good.

The problem is, he does not fit into the 4th group.

And he has also appears to have hit a ceiling.  There has been little recent growth.

More to the point, you spend that kind of money on a serviceable big man (which he is) after you have the stars in place.  The Celtics do not.  That contract along with Green's will doom the Celtic into the range of 9th seed in the east hoping to get lucky in the lotto.
We have a very different view on his progression. I think he has not hit a ceiling but a small dip before more progression (think predictive triangle for all those who are big into technical stock analysis). I think once his progression continues he will be worth every dollar of his contract.

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
But let's say you do that deal.  Boston certainly isn't going to be much worse with Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and Odom than they have been for most of this season with KG, Pierce and Rondo.  Boston also gets much younger, gets some salary cap help, gets assets that will have FAR greater trade value in the future and getting Bledsoe makes trading Rondo and getting back a major star much more possible.

We'd definitely be much worse with Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and Odom than Pierce, Garnett and Rondo (who btw we could easily bring back all of next year and make another run at it with a healthy Sully, Rondo, and another year of healing from Green and Wilcox.

Jordan is horrible.  I had to watch that game with the Clippers announcers and they said Jordan can't play in the 4th quarter because of his foul shooting.  He certainly can't be out there in crunch time.  So what value does he really give you?

Butler I have no real use for.  He scores sometimes makes 2mil a year more than Bass and has a PER about the same.

I live in Fort Worth so I saw what Odom now is, and 8.2mil albatross.  Sure it comes off the books, for almost $7mil less than Pierce would come off the books it we didn't pick up his option.

Bledsoe is a good backup point guard.  I'm not sure he is anything special as a starter.  The Clippers seem to be struggling a bit with him as a starter. 

I just don't see any upside in this trade at all.  The goal in sports is to get better and this doesn't make us better in the least.  Not now, not next year, not ever.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
1. Long and Athletic
2. Good Rebounder
3. Only 24 years old
Monroe, Drummond, Cousins, Sanders, Hickson... really depends on what your definition of "young" and "center".
I guess that's a good peer group. I think that list goes Cousins, Monroe, Sanders, Drummond, Jordan then Hickson.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
DeAndre Jordan is overpaid.  Golden State signed him to an offer sheet that they hoped would be more expensive than the Clippers were willing to match (and the Warriors waived Jeremy Lin to create cap room for that offer sheet).  The Clipper had been hoping to sign him to something more like five years and $40m instead of 4yrs/$43m.

From what I have read, deciding to overpay a bit for Jordan had a bit to do with his being good friends with Blake Griffin.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
1. Long and Athletic
2. Good Rebounder
3. Only 24 years old
I guess that's a good peer group. I think that list goes Cousins, Monroe, Sanders, Drummond, Jordan then Hickson.
I agree that a good, young (if  you define this as 25 and younger) center is probably one of the rarer commodities in the NBA. The problems here are twofold:

(1) Jordan is not that good (no free throw shooting + no offensive game other that the wide open layup is a combination that cannot be ignored).

(2) His price tag is way steep. People complain about Green's contract; Jordan will be making $3 million more when trade.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."