Poll

MVP race:  Who do you think is the early favorite (poll)

Steph Curry
5 (12.8%)
Joel Embiid
2 (5.1%)
Nikola Jokić
30 (76.9%)
Luka Dončić
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: MVP race: Who do you think is the early favorite? (poll)  (Read 6379 times)

Re: MVP race: Who do you think is the early favorite? (poll)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
No Luka vote?
How could anyone conceivably pick Luka over Jokic?  I mean that seriously.  Jokic is better almost across the board statistically, has played more games, and his team is a lot better.  There isn't a realistic or logical way for anyone to conclude that Luka has had a better or more valuable season that Jokic.

Yeah, the argument is either Steph as the best guard or Jokic as the best center.  I think it's Steph -- he's playing on a team that with much of the same roster was a last place team a season ago.  This year, in the 8 games he's missed, they went 1-7, and lost by an average of 17 (even if you exclude the 53-point drubbing to Toronto, the average loss was 10).  He's taken that team from cellar-dweller to fringe playoff team.  If he continues his recent play for the final month, I think he's the choice.  Over the last 11 games (since he returned surprisingly early from his injury), he's averaged 40 points while shooting 50% from 3.  If that continues, his season-long average will approach being a top-15 all-time scoring season.
Beal's numbers are better (except 3 point shooting) and the Wizards are 1-8 in the 9 games he missed.  Why isn't Beal in the discussion?  Curry doesn't belong in the discussion at all.

Curry leads Beal in PPG, APG, RPG, as well as eFG% by a wide margin (Beal isn't even league average) and TS%.  I'm not sure how you argue Beal's numbers are better.  Blocks per game?

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
It’s Jokic with Embiid in 2nd due to a lack of availability.

I mentioned this in the Tatum for All-NBA discussion in regards to KD and AD. Voters are not going to give you an award playing in less than 80% of the season when your nearest competitor has played in +90%.

The per game production Embiid has put up and the Sixers in 1st makes him the classic MVP choice if he would’ve played in enough games, but the games played disparity and Joker having an MVP season himself, will give NJ the edge.

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 10:58:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No Luka vote?
How could anyone conceivably pick Luka over Jokic?  I mean that seriously.  Jokic is better almost across the board statistically, has played more games, and his team is a lot better.  There isn't a realistic or logical way for anyone to conclude that Luka has had a better or more valuable season that Jokic.

Yeah, the argument is either Steph as the best guard or Jokic as the best center.  I think it's Steph -- he's playing on a team that with much of the same roster was a last place team a season ago.  This year, in the 8 games he's missed, they went 1-7, and lost by an average of 17 (even if you exclude the 53-point drubbing to Toronto, the average loss was 10).  He's taken that team from cellar-dweller to fringe playoff team.  If he continues his recent play for the final month, I think he's the choice.  Over the last 11 games (since he returned surprisingly early from his injury), he's averaged 40 points while shooting 50% from 3.  If that continues, his season-long average will approach being a top-15 all-time scoring season.
Beal's numbers are better (except 3 point shooting) and the Wizards are 1-8 in the 9 games he missed.  Why isn't Beal in the discussion?  Curry doesn't belong in the discussion at all.

Curry leads Beal in PPG, APG, RPG, as well as eFG% by a wide margin (Beal isn't even league average) and TS%.  I'm not sure how you argue Beal's numbers are better.  Blocks per game?
yes, I had them reversed, so just disregard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 11:21:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm going with Embiid. The Sixers have been a legit top tier team this season in large part to him taking that next step in his game. He was injured, but he didn't miss nearly enough time to impact his consideration for MVP.
He's played about 20 games less than Jokic. He's played 39/58. That seems like a lot of time off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 11:50:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm going with Embiid. The Sixers have been a legit top tier team this season in large part to him taking that next step in his game. He was injured, but he didn't miss nearly enough time to impact his consideration for MVP.
He's played about 20 games less than Jokic. He's played 39/58. That seems like a lot of time off

If Jokic can keep his team winning and maintain his performance with Murray out the rest of the way then he's got it. If Embiid plays most of the remaining games and continues his production while the Nuggets falter, then he is going to take it.

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If Jokic can keep his team winning and maintain his performance with Murray out the rest of the way then he's got it. If Embiid plays most of the remaining games and continues his production while the Nuggets falter, then he is going to take it.
Embiid has currently missed more games than Lebron James (Lebron has played 41 of 58 or 17 games out).  Why isn't Lebron your leader?  The Lakers were 28-13 (and I believe the 2nd best team in the league) when Lebron got hurt, playing a lot of that time without Davis, and have faltered without Lebron coming it at 7-10 (clearly showing his value). 

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 10:26:20 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Embiid has currently missed more games than Lebron James (Lebron has played 41 of 58 or 17 games out).  Why isn't Lebron your leader?  The Lakers were 28-13 (and I believe the 2nd best team in the league) when Lebron got hurt, playing a lot of that time without Davis, and have faltered without Lebron coming it at 7-10 (clearly showing his value).

Because Davis has been out much of that time too.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

but Davis was out 18 games that Lebron played, the Lakers were 11-7 in those games. 

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It totally should be Joker but he will never get it, I hope I am wrong.   Like many others I think Embiid may win it this year.

I think however, the most valuable player to his team league wide is Luka Donic.

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

but Davis was out 18 games that Lebron played, the Lakers were 11-7 in those games.

But Lebron is not back yet and may not be back for a few more weeks (unless i have missed an update) are you suggesting Lebron could get MVP if he plays like 47 out of 72 games? it doesn't seem he could play much more than that based on current status.

Edit: never mind, didn't see your earlier comment. I agree with you. Should be Jokic.

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 10:35:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No Luka vote?

I must have known Beal was going to outperform Curry and the Wizards would win tonight.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 10:45:55 PM »

Kiorrik

No Luka vote?

I must have known Beal was going to outperform Curry and the Wizards would win tonight.
Russ with the casual 14-10-20 :')

That's quite the number of rebounds.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 11:09:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No Luka vote?

Russ with the casual 14-10-20 :')

That's quite the number of rebounds.
Such a weird player. Shot 5-17 too. Such a statistical weirdo!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 09:38:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nuggets 4-0 since the Murray injury.  That can't hurt Jokic's cause.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It will be curious how the voters go this year. Do they rely on statistics, team success, or a balance of the two. Jokic and Embiid scratch off both categories, but Embiid has missed nearly a third of the teams games. However, I’m not sure any player has had as much of an impact on his team’s success than Chris Paul this season. The Suns had the second worst record in the league two years ago. Last season, they finished 5 games under .500. This season, they add Paul, and have the second best record in the league, and only 1.5 games back from first. The jump the team made this season is too significant to ignore.

BTW, when it comes to the 76ers, Doc may be their MVP.