Author Topic: What's the Deal With the Pop-Up Videos?  (Read 9100 times)

What's the Deal With the Pop-Up Videos?
« on: March 05, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
For the last few days, every time I refresh my page on this site, or go to a different thread, a video about animals or national parks or some other silly thing pops up in the lower right corner of my screen. Anyone else getting these? Anyone know how to get rid of them?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: What's the Deal With the Pop-Up Videos?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 02:01:52 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Nevermind, I figured it out.  :)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I’m getting them.  If you can send me how to get rid of these that would be great.  Thanks RR.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 02:26:25 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I’m getting them.  If you can send me how to get rid of these that would be great.  Thanks RR.

Sure thing, my friend, though it's a bit of an inexact science.

You need AdblockPlus (though other ad blockers might work, too), and you need to have a pop-up video on your screen.

Once you have Adblock Plus and the open video, click the little red ABP icon (mine's in the top right of my web browser toolbar), and in the dialog box that opens there's a light-blue box that reads "Block element"; when you click on that, you can then click on any element on your screen that you want the program to block, so you'll want to click on the video, which then opens another dialog box asking you to confirm that you want to block that element.

And here's where the "inexact science" part comes into play (at least, it did for me). The pop-up video box is composed of multiple elements, and each has to be blocked. You can't really see any of these elements except the video box. So what I did was I kept clicking on "Block element," and I'd get a dialog box asking me to confirm one or more elements, which I would do, then I kept repeating this process until I'd blocked all of the elements and the box stopped showing up. I think I had to block 4 or 5 elements in total, so I just kept clicking "Block element," then confirming the block, and eventually the entire pop-up video box was gone. Let me know if this works for you.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Sure thing, my friend, though it's a bit of an inexact science.

You need AdblockPlus (though other ad blockers might work, too), and you need to have a pop-up video on your screen.

Once you have Adblock Plus and the open video, click the little red ABP icon (mine's in the top right of my web browser toolbar), and in the dialog box that opens there's a light-blue box that reads "Block element"; when you click on that, you can then click on any element on your screen that you want the program to block, so you'll want to click on the video, which then opens another dialog box asking you to confirm that you want to block that element.

And here's where the "inexact science" part comes into play (at least, it did for me). The pop-up video box is composed of multiple elements, and each has to be blocked. You can't really see any of these elements except the video box. So what I did was I kept clicking on "Block element," and I'd get a dialog box asking me to confirm one or more elements, which I would do, then I kept repeating this process until I'd blocked all of the elements and the box stopped showing up. I think I had to block 4 or 5 elements in total, so I just kept clicking "Block element," then confirming the block, and eventually the entire pop-up video box was gone. Let me know if this works for you.

Following the "inexact science" method, worked for me! Definitely had to click block element and apply it to the ad several times until it's completely gone...including the play arrow, fast fwd, backtrack, x, everything in that ad lol. It's troublesome but finally gone.

TP to ya!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The first thought that came into my head was that old VH1 show.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 03:06:02 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Haha! I just KNEW someone would reference that! I used to like that show. Had a lot of fun little tidbits of info.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 03:09:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Haha! I just KNEW someone would reference that! I used to like that show. Had a lot of fun little tidbits of info.

Oh, I loved it too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 05:53:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
RR -- THANK YOU and TP for you!

I never in a million years would have figured out how to do this without your instructions.  I had Ad Blocker (not plus) which didn't block and didn't have the "block element" option.  I downloaded ABP and followed your instructions and it worked!

Of course whenever I add anything to my computer I feel like I am walking into a big mystery world of should I or shouldn't I. It first had me download Microsoft Edge -- I don't really understand any of the language and have no idea what adding/updating(?) Mic Edge did.  But it allowed me to add ABP so I guess it worked. Unless I accidentally did something I shouldn't have (time will tell), it looks good.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 06:13:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

When I saw the thread title I was like "Huh, weird that somebody would be bringing up that show all these years later.  Wonder what that's about."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
For the last few days, every time I refresh my page on this site, or go to a different thread, a video about animals or national parks or some other silly thing pops up in the lower right corner of my screen. Anyone else getting these? Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Hold up, you're only now seeing these?? Lol I've been having them from the beginning of the Celticsstrong experience (after the transition), but after some time I just got used to it
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »

• Satch Sanders
RR -- THANK YOU and TP for you!

I never in a million years would have figured out how to do this without your instructions.  I had Ad Blocker (not plus) which didn't block and didn't have the "block element" option.  I downloaded ABP and followed your instructions and it worked!

Of course whenever I add anything to my computer I feel like I am walking into a big mystery world of should I or shouldn't I. It first had me download Microsoft Edge -- I don't really understand any of the language and have no idea what adding/updating(?) Mic Edge did.  But it allowed me to add ABP so I guess it worked. Unless I accidentally did something I shouldn't have (time will tell), it looks good.

You're quite welcome! And thanks for the TP. I know almost nothing about Microsoft Edge, and I don't consider myself a technical wizard, but sometimes I keep poking and prodding and I get a lucky break, LOL.

When I saw the thread title I was like "Huh, weird that somebody would be bringing up that show all these years later.  Wonder what that's about."

Ha! And you couldn't resist investigating. The importance of writing a catchy headline! :)

Hold up, you're only now seeing these?? Lol I've been having them from the beginning of the Celticsstrong experience (after the transition), but after some time I just got used to it

Yeah, just in the last two or three days it started for me. At first I thought it was coming from one of the many other sites I had open, since it had nothing to do with the Celtics or the Catholic ads this site has. But lo and behold, CelticsStrong was the culprit! ;D

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
These pop ups are beyond annoying and destroying my visits here. Why not have Google text ads instead and make a lot more money? I am almost ready to retire...it is like 20 years ago with those annoying X10 video pop ups. Beyond intrusive and my tolerance for it is almost done.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Oh, I loved it too.

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that.