Author Topic: What The Hell Is Ainge Waiting For??  (Read 20624 times)

Re: What The Hell Is Ainge Waiting For??
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 11:47:46 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's like there is a certain percent of posters here who seem to really think that every year we don't radically improve it's because Ainge is a moron. It's not a video game people, you can't just decided to trade for stars, click a few buttons and in 10 minutes you have them.

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 11:49:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
oh gpap... whatever shall we do with you?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
whoever said our roster is fine needs to explain what he means by 'fine'.

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 11:58:19 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Some people forget that trading/transactions are for the most part a 2 way street.
Both parties have to agree to the deal.

How would you know that "trader danny" has not been actively putting out trade proposals out there?

What if he gets shut down, because they know he's an aggressive trader and wins most of the trades he makes?

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It's like there is a certain percent of posters here who seem to really think that every year we don't radically improve it's because Ainge is a moron. It's not a video game people, you can't just decided to trade for stars, click a few buttons and in 10 minutes you have them.

I am resigned to people not getting this.

They just sound like Lakers fans though, which is a bad look.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

I don't think anyone would be complaining if the Celtics had at least one future all star on the team.

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 12:06:15 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Some people forget that trading/transactions are for the most part a 2 way street.

How would you know that "trader danny" has not been actively putting out trade proposals out there?

What if he gets shut down, because they know he's an aggressive trader and wins most of the trades he makes?

Other than the KG and Ray deals, what other trades has he made that he's "won"?

-EDIT: I'll give you the Rondo trade. That was a decent deal. He dealt Rondo before he totally lost any trade value he had and he got a draft pick, a good player in Crowder who contributed to our success last year and Brandon Wright. Speaking of which, why didn't he keep Wright? Would've been nice to have kept him for his rebounding and athleticism. He got 19 mil over 3 yrs from Memphis.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:16:14 AM by gpap »

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 12:07:51 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

+1, people are so impatient. Ainge isn't Billy King, and he also isn't a miracle worker. Funny how people seem to think he ought to be the latter, and if he isn't he must be the former.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:59 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I don't think anyone would be complaining if the Celtics had at least one future all star on the team.

Okay?  We have done the best with what we are given.  Ainge can't force teams to agree to trades and in the mean time, patience is required.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I expect bold and creative moves that advance the rebuild in some way.  At least something like the Zeller trade last year. 

Ainge has basically just pressed pause.  He added a couple of large expiring contracts, basically, who will help the team maintain around 40 wins.  Content to be in pretty much the same position a year from now.  I don't see the point in that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 12:25:41 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

I expect bold and creative moves that advance the rebuild in some way.  At least something like the Zeller trade last year. 

Ainge has basically just pressed pause.  He added a couple of large expiring contracts, basically, who will help the team maintain around 40 wins.  Content to be in pretty much the same position a year from now.  I don't see the point in that.

First of all, you get IT4 for the entire year. He changed the dynamic of the team by himself in limited time. Second, Amir is far better than Bass, a huge upgrade there, and is defensively better than any 4 or 5 on the roster. That's going to help a ton and play a big part in the success of the team.

Then you got Smart being more comfortable with a year under his belt, plus your rookie class.

That's not pressing pause to me. That's moving forward.

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 12:32:14 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

+1, people are so impatient. Ainge isn't Billy King, and he also isn't a miracle worker. Funny how people seem to think he ought to be the latter, and if he isn't he must be the former.

huge huge HUGE difference between expecting a trade for a superstar at the drop of a hate and being frustrated/disappointed in an offseason plan that certainly looks like a lateral move for a 38 win team rather than a step forward or backward

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

First of all, you get IT4 for the entire year. He changed the dynamic of the team by himself in limited time. Second, Amir is far better than Bass, a huge upgrade there, and is defensively better than any 4 or 5 on the roster. That's going to help a ton and play a big part in the success of the team.

Then you got Smart being more comfortable with a year under his belt, plus your rookie class.

That's not pressing pause to me. That's moving forward.

So aside from a modest upgrade at PF (with a guy who will likely be gone in a year or two), the team will simply rely on development from within.

How is that not standing pat?

Look, if you think there's a future star on this roster, then I guess this might make sense.  That's not my point of view.

Even if Ainge feels that way, I would hope for a move that used the trade exceptions or cap space to add future value.  Maybe the big "expiring" contracts will be really useful in a trade.  I'd rather have done something like what Philly did in acquiring one of last year's top 10 picks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

Other than the KG and Ray deals, what other trades has he made that he's "won"?

-EDIT: I'll give you the Rondo trade. That was a decent deal. He dealt Rondo before he totally lost any trade value he had and he got a draft pick, a good player in Crowder who contributed to our success last year and Brandon Wright. Speaking of which, why didn't he keep Wright? Would've been nice to have kept him for his rebounding and athleticism. He got 19 mil over 3 yrs from Memphis.

I think you answered your own question.  He would have been looking for similar cash from the Celtics, and doubtful he would have gotten it.

Rak

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:22 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

And Celtics homers are famous for being the whiniest bunch of sheep in NBA fandom, bleating at even the mildest of critiques, so what's your point?  Address the issue: The Celtics told us, again, that were were going to get fireworks.

We got nary a firecracker.  Danny's excuse was that the other teams wouldn't trade with him.  Well, if Danny can't get trades done, he's got draft picks and free agency, and that's it.  And the free agents are, apparently, not even wasting the time to grant him an interview.

If you're not trying to tell us that Amir Johnson was the missing piece, then please explain what Ainge is likely to do, and how long it's likely to take, because this is year 3 of the full rebuild, year 4 of the 'retooling', and year 5 since the disastrous Perkins trade, and there's no end to this situation in sight.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:54:30 AM by Scintan »

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.