Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 10199 times)

Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Is it on Netflix?

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I know this thread hasn't had a post in over a year, but I thought I'd talk about that finale last night.

Good lord. That finale was amazing because to me, it confirms to the viewer who they should despise in this show: Chuck. The man is so hell-bent on preventing his brother from making it as a lawyer that he'll legitimately torture himself to screw over Jimmy. The ironic part is, the reason why Chuck despises Jimmy's way of life is because Jimmy takes shortcuts and cons people unlike Chuck who works hard and lives by a strict code of ethics. Yet last night, Chuck stoops to Jimmy's level and pulls off a sleazier con than Jimmy ever could have by tricking Jimmy into confessing on tape of his wrongdoing by coming off like he is going crazy and "retiring". That to me is the point of no return where he loses all respect as a character. There's being an ethical lawyer who sticks by his standards and then there's just being a control freak ****. I seriously can't wait to see what happens next between them on the show.

Jimmy and Chuck's relationship is the best part about the show because they are polar opposites as people. Jimmy has low ethics but has strong morals as evidenced by him caring for his brother despite his brother's persistent backstabbing. Chuck has low morals but has strong ethics as evidenced by his firm belief that his brother should not be practicing law due to his way of life as "Slippin' Jimmy". These last few episodes have been a chess game between the two of them that is starting to rival, dare I say it, Walt and Gus' in season 4 of BB. As evidenced by Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman did not have morals so you know that this relationship will very much impact Jimmy's transition from Jimmy McGill to Saul Goodman.

One last thing about the finale last night. I have to give props to the writers for subtly referencing previous episodes so brilliantly. Anyone remember last season when Chuck told Jimmy that he wasn't a real lawyer? Well, before Jimmy called Chuck out on his backstabbing, Jimmy suggested to Chuck that if he wanted to work with him then he should threaten to quit HHM because it would be "launching the doomsday device" to the firm. In the finale, Chuck does just that but not to screw over the firm but rather to screw over Jimmy because he knew Jimmy's morals stood above anything else. That is how you write a show ladies and gentleman. Let's hope they keep this up next season.

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't blame Chuck for tricking Jimmy. Jimmy has major ethical issues, even on trivial things. He easily could have told the partners about the ad he wanted to run but chose not to. He just does whatever he wants and he doesn't care about repercussions until things blow up. Clearly Jimmy is a nicer guy than Chuck, but Chuck is correct that you can't trust Jimmy and he can't be trusted as a lawyer.

Mike provides a parallel story. Mike stealing drug money led to the innocent who came across the truck getting killed. Similarly, Jimmy hurts the people close to him as he delivers his form of justice. It seems unavoidable that he will somehow ruin his girlfriend.