Author Topic: The Anime Thread Revisited  (Read 59151 times)

Re: Most underrated Anime ....
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I will vote Hikaru No Go as underrated as well as Spiral.

Good choice with Hikaru no Go, although usually regarded quite highly... it's often forgotten.

Spiral, I think it's rated about right. I really enjoyed it, but the piece of crap ending it had completely ruined my experience. It felt like I wasted my time watching it.

I have tried to like anime. I have really tried...and Im not a guy that has ANYTHING against cartoons. I still watch batman from time to time (the old animated series from the 90's, not the dumb futuristic one).

I mean Ninja Scroll will always have a spot in my heart, (is that even anime?).

But I tried to watch Cowboy Bebop, tried to watch some other ones...never took.

Well at least your tried. And yes, Ninja Scroll is an anime... the movie was great, the series sucked.

Cowboy Bebop, even though is a cool series I can see why people might not like it. I for one didn't think much of it when I first tried it. I gave it another shot, and loved it. The final episodes are legendary.

I don't know how you've been watching the anime, but I've always felt that watching it with the Japanese audio and English subtitles is a vastly superior way to watch these. The English dub more often than not dumbs down the anime and makes them lame.

I'll mention a couple more series here in case you haven't tried them, and are willing to give it another shot... who knows, maybe you'll find yourself bored (they are more of the great plot/drama variety targeted to young-adults or adults):

Monster - Great mystery thriller drama about a doctor who saves the life of a boy, just to later find out years later that he became a serial killer (while he himself is a suspect of the killings).
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1539

Twelve Kingdoms - Great story about a girl in highschool that suddenly gets visited by a guardian from a parallel universe, let's her know that she's to become their ruler, takes her there just so that she can find out a quite a ruthless society in the middle of a war. Because of her physical appearance, peoeple try to kill her... and it's her journey to find her rightful place to the throne. Great animation, story, and action.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=26

Now and Then, Here and There - a boy gets warped into another world, where he finds himself in an oppressed society where children are enslaved. Quite a dark/mature series.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=114

you know the funny/odd thing? I hate english dubs, absoulutly loath them. I can't watch anime in anything other than subbed. EXCEPT cowboy bebop. And i don't really know why. Mabey it's because its one of my favroites, and ive seen it in both, but i don't mind that one particular dub at all.

As for my underrated, i'll put one up thats not so much underrated as forgotten/ dismissed.

FLCL is an awesome short series, funny and a bunch of crazy action. I always thought it was begging for a short sequal, but its also good the way it is. :D

another one thats probley only underrated by me, outlaw star. Its a good action anime, yet i never see it mentioned in any lists. Its not earth shattering, but its pretty good.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've heard that before... people seem to like the Cowboy Bebop. I myself, haven't enjoyed any anime dub, including CB. Maybe only Dragonball, and that's just because I was a little kid.

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Yup  Dragonball Z isnt that bad after all...

P.S. I try everything but Budweiser is right, Japanese with english subs is the way to go...hey and  I even try spanish subs.......no way.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I hardly ever watch anime, but being a film maker (and a kid at heart who loves anything that has animation or deals with any kind of fantasy-like scenarios) I have seen a few.  I loved Princess Monenoke and Ninja Scroll.  The combination of beautiful artwork and a really understandable and driven plot helped me to enjoy those, but often times when i watch anime I get really lost in what is happening.  Do you guys have any recommendations based on these movies of other ones I would like?

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 09:48:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I hardly ever watch anime, but being a film maker (and a kid at heart who loves anything that has animation or deals with any kind of fantasy-like scenarios) I have seen a few.  I loved Princess Monenoke and Ninja Scroll.  The combination of beautiful artwork and a really understandable and driven plot helped me to enjoy those, but often times when i watch anime I get really lost in what is happening.  Do you guys have any recommendations based on these movies of other ones I would like?

If there's one thing I haven't done much of is watch anime movies.

If you're a fan of artwork and animation, then hands down what you need to watch are these movies and ovas the were made by one guy by himself (at least the bulk of it) and you'll be very impressed. He's Makoto Shinkai, and he did all the artwork, animation, screenplay, and direction:

Hoshi no Koe (Voices from a Distant Star) - This is a brilliant 30 minute OVA.
Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho (Beyond The Clouds, The Promised Place) - Licensed as: The Place Promised in Our Early Days
5 Centimeters Per Second

The Ghost in the Shell movies are worth watching, but it's fairly complicated.

You can try movies from Studio Ghibli by Miyasaki, he did Mononoke Hime... most are good, so you can probably do no wrong here.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=51
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Spirited Away are probably the top of theirs.

Shin Angyo Onshi (licensed as Blade of the Phantom Master) which animates the about 2-3 volumes of a great manga/manhwa

I've heard Perfect Blue is a great horror/mystery movie that should be worth checking out.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Brave Story was enjoyable. Impresive animation at times.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:12:15 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 10:21:33 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

If there's one thing I haven't done much of is watch anime movies.

If you're a fan of artwork and animation, then hands down what you need to watch are these movies and ovas the were made by one guy by himself (at least the bulk of it) and you'll be very impressed. He's Makoto Shinkai, and he did all the artwork, animation, screenplay, and direction:

Hoshi no Koe (Voices from a Distant Star) - This is a brilliant 30 minute OVA.
Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho (Beyond The Clouds, The Promised Place) - Licensed as: The Place Promised in Our Early Days
5 Centimeters Per Second

The Ghost in the Shell movies are worth watching, but it's fairly complicated.

You can try movies from Studio Ghibli by Miyasaki, he did Mononoke Hime... most are good, so you can probably do no wrong here.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=51
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Spirited Away are probably the top of theirs.

Shin Angyo Onshi (licensed as Blade of the Phantom Master) which animates the about 2-3 volumes of a great manga/manhwa

I've heard Perfect Blue is a great horror/mystery movie that should be worth checking out.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Brave Story was enjoyable. Impresive animation at times.

all those, plus macross plus.

EDIT: oh ya, and i kind of liked Armitage the third (title Armitage III on the box, but its not the third movie, just a title.) kind of a total recallish anime.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:56:19 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
For you guys that liked Ninja Scroll movie, you should really watch Sword of the Stranger. It won't disappoint.

Re: Anime
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I will make this rebirth

man what an end for GeassR2
thos last 2 chapters are full of blood, action, love and a little twist
of course something u can expect from a very good anime series with
only 50 chapters

Thanks for the recomendation
Now...lets kill Death Note

Nice to be back!

Re: The Anime Thread Reloaded
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Thanks for not spoiling details about the ending of R2 since I haven't finished it yet. Have fun with Death Note, good stuff.

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Thanks for not spoiling details about the ending of R2 since I haven't finished it yet. Have fun with Death Note, good stuff.

thank god u say this before i start.... :-X
 ;D

Nice to be back!

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
im stucked in death note No 11
with my broken arm i will try to reach No.20 today

1* isnt death note one of the best starting sountracks of anime history, If not i will be very worried ///thats another whole topic i realize that.

2.Main reason i miss the continuity of death note was yu gi oh 5d , now on episode 47, what i though will be a waste of time is to say the least  the best yu gi oh thus far, not that have any competition i know.... at least u will have smething to watch when u want something a little more comercial and childish. I am on chapter 47 now and its not getting any worst.

well my update....

here i come deathnoto.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

1* isnt death note one of the best starting sountracks of anime history, If not i will be very worried ///thats another whole topic i realize that.

2.Main reason i miss the continuity of death note was yu gi oh 5d , now on episode 47, what i though will be a waste of time is to say the least  the best yu gi oh thus far, not that have any competition i know.... at least u will have smething to watch when u want something a little more comercial and childish. I am on chapter 47 now and its not getting any worst.

well my update....

here i come deathnoto.

deathnote does havea heck of a soundtack, but id rank a couple animes higher.

Cowboy Bebop- winner.

Honorable mention

FLCL
Eureka Seven
Deathnote.

P.P.S finsh up deathnote so you can watch eureka seven and tell me what you think :D

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

well my update....

here i come deathnoto.

Cowboy Bebop- winner.

Honorable mention

FLCL
Eureka Seven
Deathnote.

P.P.S finsh up deathnote so you can watch eureka seven and tell me what you think :D

I will
now nothing will beat this intro
NEVER
no matter what u can propose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyRoF689VRE

i just had tears and goose bumps

Nice to be back!

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

well my update....

here i come deathnoto.

Cowboy Bebop- winner.

Honorable mention

FLCL
Eureka Seven
Deathnote.

I will
NEVER

now your going to make me bust out the openings of good animes once i get home and have youube ed, its on your head :D

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

well my update....

here i come deathnoto.

Cowboy Bebop- winner.

Honorable mention

FLCL
Eureka Seven
Deathnote.

I will
NEVER

now your going to make me bust out the openings of good animes once i get home and have youube ed, its on your head :D
;D
yes its nice t be home i dont have utube at work
now for people to see the new wave on intros
heres death notes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eZ8idLK-Ok

again> some images are creepy so discresion advice

Nice to be back!