Author Topic: Another Step in the Disney's quest for media domination  (Read 18067 times)

Another Step in the Disney's quest for media domination
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:11:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://www.cinematical.com/2009/08/31/shocking-disney-buys-marvel-entertainment/

I don't know how i feel about this one, my reading of comics at this stage of my life could  be described as "sporadic at best" but i did read most of dark reign and enjoyed it, and i don't think that event or the arc leading up to it in which captain America gets shot in the head would have passed disney's editors, never mind the MAX brand comics that tend to be more graphic with regards to violence and life and death and the new "us vs them, by any means necessary" feel clearly ment to illustrate the current times....

What made secret invasion and dark reign so good was that it was basically an analog for the war on terror, and watching how unquestionably good people (the hero's) had to rethink their views and come to grips with diffrent levels of conduct  to protect the world from a invading force that was steeped in zealotry and lack of regard for the moral code in the skrulls. (terrorism)

im just not sure that's a place Disney wants to go.

Does everyone think Disney will let marvel continue with it's shift towards "grown up" work thats gone on the last 10 years and revitalized the brand, like the x-men now having a team for assassination jobs against high threat evil mutants that wolverine heads, main characters having personal problems and dying off in vicious ways, ect, ect...

or are we going to see a shift back to the black and white, good vs. evil cookie cutter stuff that seemed to not be so well received so that Disney can cross promote on everything it owns?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Another Step in the Disney's quest for media domination
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
http://www.cinematical.com/2009/08/31/shocking-disney-buys-marvel-entertainment/

I don't know how i feel about this one, my reading of comics at this stage of my life could best be described as "sporadic at best" but i did read most of dark reign, and i don't think that or the arc leading up to captain America getting shot in the head would have passed disney's editors, never mind the MAX brand comics that tend to be more graphic with regards to violence and life and death....

Does everyone think Disney will let marvel continue with it's shift towards "grown up" work thats gone on the last 10 years and revitalized the brand, like the x-men now having a team for assassination jobs against high threat evil mutants that wolverine heads, main characters having personal problems and dying off in vicious ways, ect, ect...

or are we going to see a shift back to the black and white, good vs. evil cookie cutter stuff that seemed to not be so well received so that Disney can cross promote on everything it owns?

I doubt Disney cares about the comics themselves, not a ton of money in it, but rather cares about the marketing and, more importantly, the movies. The quality of the comics will probably remain the same, for all of its adult upswing Marvel does a fairly good job recognizing that it is a medium that kids will be interested in ( for example there has been no smoking in the Marvel universe for the past 6 years or so),  but what it will mean is that Marvel will be unlikely to independently produce its own movies anymore.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am just curious how this will affect Universal Studios Florida.  I am heading down to Florida in about a month, and planned on spending a day there.  But they had a bunch of rides that were based on Marvel characters (Hulk Coaster, Spiderman ride...maybe more).  I wouldn't put it past Disney to make them close them down immediately.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
You will probably get better Cartoons out of the deal too.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I don't know how i feel about this one, my reading of comics at this stage of my life could best be described as "sporadic at best" but i did read most of dark reign, and i don't think that or the arc leading up to captain America getting shot in the head would have passed disney's editors, never mind the MAX brand comics that tend to be more graphic with regards to violence and life and death....

I doubt Disney cares about the comics themselves, not a ton of money in it, but rather cares about the marketing and, more importantly, the movies. The quality of the comics will probably remain the same, for all of its adult upswing Marvel does a fairly good job recognizing that it is a medium that kids will be interested in ( for example there has been no smoking in the Marvel universe for the past 6 years or so),  but what it will mean is that Marvel will be unlikely to independently produce its own movies anymore.

See, i would agree, except that disney is not going to want to deal with certain headlines that while sporadic, the comics generate at times.

Do you remember the outrage when they announced they were killing captain America two years ago? There was a media backlash, on all fronts, questioning the morality of killing off an American icon during the current times. Fox and CNN both took them to task for attempting to cash in on the shock value of it in today's political climate.

In the series, killing cap was a huge moment for shifting the comics to how they are now...what happens the next time marvel wants to do such a thing? does disney object?

Because now the title won't read "has marvel gone to far?" it will read "has Disney gone to far?"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Man that really sucks.  

Look for ' The Avengers ' to have some EMO characters.  

Wonder twins activate in the form of a crappy movie.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

See, i would agree, except that disney is not going to want to deal with certain headlines that while sporadic, the comics generate at times.

Do you remember the outrage when they announced they were killing captain America two years ago? There was a media backlash, on all fronts, questioning the morality of killing off an American icon during the current times. Fox and CNN both took them to task for attempting to cash in on the shock value of it in today's political climate.

In the series, killing cap was a huge moment for shifting the comics to how they are now...what happens the next time marvel wants to do such a thing? does disney object?

Because now the title won't read "has marvel gone to far?" it will read "has Disney gone to far?"

I don't think Disney will have any problem with the killing off of characters.  Although I think they might start limiting the adult content that may be in the comics (not sure if there is much, but that is they type of thing they go after).

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Because no the title won't read "has marvel gone to far?" it will read "has Disney gone to far?"

Its not so huge a moment now that they're bringing Cap back. I, Frankly, don't think Disney will care. A) They own their own Nightly News program. B) All they have to do is intensify the cartoon angle of the Marvel stable and say that Comics are for adults, and when someone argues that they're not, you show them the numbers. And if that pundit continues to argue, he looks like an idiot for arguing about Comic books.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

I don't think Disney will have any problem with the killing off of characters.  Although I think they might start limiting the adult content that may be in the comics (not sure if there is much, but that is they type of thing they go after).

Right, because ABC's line up is adult content free. What with "Cougartown" and "Desperate Housewives".  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:35:05 AM by KCattheStripe »

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Right, because ABC's line up is adult content free. What with "Cougartown" and "Desperate Housewives".  ;)

Haha, touche. 

Well, I don't think they would want to eliminate it, but keep it to a lower level, if anything.

Ultimately though, I don't think they will do much with Marvel, except change some of the marketing, and try to use the characters to make a boatload of money. 

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Haha, touche. 

Well, I don't think they would want to eliminate it, but keep it to a lower level, if anything.

Ultimately though, I don't think they will do much with Marvel, except change some of the marketing, and try to use the characters to make a boatload of money. 

Agreed. If anything, I think Disney helps push the "Marvel: Adventures" line --books specifically designed for younger readers-- to a greater audience. I also think that with Disney, they'll have a venue for better cartoon programming and draw more kids in that way.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Disney owns Miramax.  That didn't stop Miramax from putting out Kill Bill.

I think most consumers won't make the link between Marvel and Disney, just like they don't make the link between Miramax and Disney.  The question then becomes: why did Disney purchase Marvel at all?  ie: what can be gained?  The stock market seems to think not much can be gained (Disney is down 3% so far today).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I am just curious how this will affect Universal Studios Florida.  I am heading down to Florida in about a month, and planned on spending a day there.  But they had a bunch of rides that were based on Marvel characters (Hulk Coaster, Spiderman ride...maybe more).  I wouldn't put it past Disney to make them close them down immediately.
That's an interesting question.  "Islands of Adventure" (with the marvel rides) is my favorite theme park.  I'm kinda curious to see if this has any effect on that... will Disney be able to create marvel-themed rides at their parks and stuff?  Will Universal have to close their Marvel-themed rides?  I'm sure there is some longstanding contract in place that looks after these sorts of things.  :)

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Disney owns Miramax.  That didn't stop Miramax from putting out Kill Bill.

I think most consumers won't make the link between Marvel and Disney, just like they don't make the link between Miramax and Disney.  The question then becomes: why did Disney purchase Marvel at all?  ie: what can be gained?  The stock market seems to think not much can be gained (Disney is down 3% so far today).

Marvel owns its own Movie company that has been wildly successful over the past dozen or so years. Also, Warner Brothers owns DC and has been able to turn a tidy profit from the merchandising rights.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
That's an interesting question.  "Islands of Adventure" (with the marvel rides) is my favorite theme park.  I'm kinda curious to see if this has any effect on that... will Disney be able to create marvel-themed rides at their parks and stuff?  Will Universal have to close their Marvel-themed rides?  I'm sure there is some longstanding contract in place that looks after these sorts of things.  :)

My guess is it won't be long before Disney has its own Marvel themed park or at least section of a park.  There is just too much potential there.  They lost out on Harry Potter to Universal, so I think they are going to make this one hurt.

This also might be a hit to Six Flags, who also have many Marvel themed rides.