Author Topic: Landon Donovan will not be in Brazil.  (Read 4074 times)

Landon Donovan will not be in Brazil.
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1830254/landon-donovan-maurice-edu-left-world-cup-squad?cc=5901

Is it because he's 32? Jurgen Klinsmann chose Chris Wondolowski (San Jose represent!) and Aron Johannson along with Dempsey and Altidore as the forwards.

I'm really not sure what to make of this, although taking the 2012 MLS MVP and a 2 time Golden Boot winner (Wondolowski) and a young 23 year old player who plays in Holland, with 37 appearances and scored 20 goals in Eredivisie over a big name yet older (and possibly out of form mentally) forward kind of makes sense. Although Donovan is still better than probably a few other players on that squad.

But boy, it'll be weird not seeing Landon Donovan in Brazil.

Good move or no?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:00:55 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Landon Donovan will not be in Brazil.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Klinsmann's an idiot. Aside from Wondo (who makes hay against some of the minnows in the region but isn't that great a player) Landon would have been much more effective in the midfield than players like Zusi or Davis (really most of them). So, not a good move IMO.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I'm by no means an insider of US soccer, but I've heard Donovan has mental and physical problems. In fact, looking at a recent picture, he seems to have become quite chubby.

There's no way a player in Donovan's obvious condition could help the team in Brazil. The climate will be brutal, extremely hot and humid. Professional players will be exhausted before they even step onto the pitch...and the older you are, the harder it will be to deal with the climate.

Bold move by Klinsmann, but judging from afar, it's the right one.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Loved Julian Green's ridiculous twitter comments...
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm by no means an insider of US soccer, but I've heard Donovan has mental and physical problems. In fact, looking at a recent picture, he seems to have become quite chubby.

There's no way a player in Donovan's obvious condition could help the team in Brazil. The climate will be brutal, extremely hot and humid. Professional players will be exhausted before they even step onto the pitch...and the older you are, the harder it will be to deal with the climate.

I agree.

While everyone is trying to qualify, Donovan was in Cambodia trying to "find himself". If he's not mentally prepared, he cant be in the squad, despite being one of the best players of US history.

Especially in the toughest group of the Cup, you'd want the players that are ready.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I realize he may not be the player he once was, but his experience alone should at least make him worthwhile of the last selection on the team. I am kind of disappointed with the decision. I don't care much for soccer, in general - leaving one of the only recognizable players off the team probably won't keep me glued to the television.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't like it for the same reasons I didn't like the Pierce trade -- Brazil was clearly going to be Donovan's last World Cup, and even coasting on the laurels of his past accomplishments, he deserved a spot, especially since the team is going to get trounced in groups anyway.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I haven't seen much of him this year (I've seen some) but he's played in 7 of the team's 9 games and he played the full 90 minutes in each game. I doubt fitness is a huge issue.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
It's because he has dual nationality. If the US team didn't put him in the squad, he would have most likely joined the Germany squad for the 2016 EURO. They didn't want to let him go. If he has that great of a potential as Bayern Munich thinks he has, it was a good move to put him in.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's because he has dual nationality. If the US team didn't put him in the squad, he would have most likely joined the Germany squad for the 2016 EURO. They didn't want to let him go. If he has that great of a potential as Bayern Munich thinks he has, it was a good move to put him in.
I thought he already has 1 cap for the US.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I thought he already has 1 cap for the US.

It has to be a cap in a certain type of game, such as a qualifier or a Gold Cup game. I think in Green's case he's on the US for good though. He played some games  for Germany that might have tied him to them but (and this is from recollection of what my son told me) he filed the paperwork to switch over to the US, which you can do under certain circumstances. However, you can only switch once, so he can't go back to Germany. I don't have a problem with including him on the roster even if he doesn't play, but there are some fairly mediocre players on the squad who aren't likely to do as well in such big games as Landon can.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:19 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
His experience and ball skills probably would have been of value, but the simple fact is that Klinsmann doesn't like Donovan.  Either way, however, the USA's chances of surviving the group stage are just about nil...