Author Topic: * I need everyone's help! 1st time going to Boston in April *  (Read 19397 times)

* I need everyone's help! 1st time going to Boston in April *
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
Hey guys,

Been on this board for years and years...

I'M MAKING MY FIRST TRIP EVER TO BOSTON IN APRIL!

It's my birthday week, Celtics playoffs starting, Red Sox season begins, etc.

I need help knowing what to do out there! I live in Sacramento, and we will be departing for Boston April 13th and returning April 21st.

What to do? Restaurants, places to visit, what do the locals do, etc?

Any and all advise for this Cs/Sox/Pats fan is appreciated!

I

Re: * I need everyone's help! 1st time going to Boston in April *
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Bring a winter coat... ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Hey guys,

Been on this board for years and years...

I'M MAKING MY FIRST TRIP EVER TO BOSTON IN APRIL!

It's my birthday week, Celtics playoffs starting, Red Sox season begins, etc.

I need help knowing what to do out there! I live in Sacramento, and we will be departing for Boston April 13th and returning April 21st.

What to do? Restaurants, places to visit, what do the locals do, etc?

Any and all advise for this Cs/Sox/Pats fan is appreciated!

I

You'll be here for the Boston Marathon which is a pretty big party day around the city. Sox always have a very early game during it.. Tickets tend to sell out fast for it though so if you wanted to go i'd suggest buying them as soon as they go onsale.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
good to know! Keep them coming boys

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
When I went to Boston for the first time (as a kid) I did all of the Revolutionary War stuff (like Bunker Hill), Plymouth Rock (south of the city), and the USS Constitution tour.  I put a couple of national links below about things to do.  I'm sure the people that live in Boston could provide some more information, though sometimes the locals miss the obvious things since they don't think about them like a tourist would.

http://content.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1984920_1984917_1984694,00.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60745-s409/Boston:Massachusetts:First.Time.Visitors.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Man I moved away like 7 1/2 years ago but it still seems pretty similar.  The city was already gentrified so it didn't change much.  Is Eastern Standard still good?  I don't even know what the cool restaurants are anymore.

I can only really endorse going to see a Celtics game, I feel out of touch otherwise.  The Institute for Contemporary Art?

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
touristy stuff - Boston Tea Party in Seaport
Shopping - Copley/Prudential
My friends hates it but our own Aquarium is one of my favorites, or you can do whale watching if it's whale watching season then

don't know what kind of food you like so don't know what to recommend

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i kinda wanted to start my own thread like this since i'm thinking about making a trip from croatia to watch Paul Pierce jersey be retired :D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Duck boat tours are fun. Pro tip: if you don't mind getting up early, it's easier to sign up for the morning ones, and it's a bit cheaper.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
If you like jazz, then Scullers or Regattabar will probably have some big name fancy jazz show to attend. If you prefer a dirty jam session jazz show then you definitely need to go to Wally's.

If you like classical music, the Boston Symphony is excellent.

If you like punk rock, check out The Middle East in Cambridge.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
make sure to ask lots of people for directions. they are always so friendly and open and clear with those.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Museum of Fine Arts and Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museum if you're looking for some art.

Really just walking around the commons, Charles street,backbay Kenmore...
Yup

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Spend a da walking around the city. Hit a great Italian restaurant in the North End. Walk over to Fanuel Marketplace for some drinks and shopping. Union Oyster House is there. The Commons and Public Gardens should just be coming into bloom. Newbury St has ton of boutiques and cool outdoor cafes and restaurants. Hit Copley Square after for shopping at the Prudential Center. Head up to top of the Pru for a panoramic view of the city.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I last went in October this year and definitely agree with the recommendations for the duck boat tour and Sky Walk at the Prudential Centre. The duck boat tours had a theme of the guides being quite funny with their narration which was good. The view from the Sky Walk tour is also a must. I loved it despite my fear of heights!

Tour of the TD Garden also very enjoyable. If I was doing it again though I would go on a day where the parquet floor is set up, it was the ice for a Bruins game when I went.

Also depending on where you're staying and if you'll have a car while there, you might find good value in getting a 1 week pass for the Old Town Trolley Tour. Not only provides a good tour of the main attractions but I found it very handy just for transport to a lot of places rather than getting a taxi every time.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's easy to rent a car and drive not far at all to places like Lexington and Concord to see where the revolution started.

Paul Revere's house is in the north end and isn't far from the old church that they used to signal what the Red Coats would do.

Salem (where they hung all those witches) is just a few miles to the north. There's a house where they tried them you can go into.  As well as the cemetery.

There are great colleges to visit in the area like Harvard (Cambridge food seems pretty good), MIT (right down the road from there), and BC. 

The Bull and Finch Pub (where they filmed the exteriors of Cheers) isn't too hard to get into and neither is the Bell in Hand Tavern. Most everyone likes Faneiul Hall right across from Town Hall where they have the statue of Bill Russell. I think it's near the statue of Red too.

Fenway Park is the oldest park out there.

If you like Italian food go to the North End and follow your gut. 

Basketball HOF not too far away (maybe an hour) over in Springfield. Shoot on a peach basket.

Not far at all to the south (made 45 minutes) is Plimouth Plantation, where they have a reenacted historical site where the Pilgrims lived. The reenactors are pretty darn good. The Native American village is there now as well.

Watch the movie Glory before you go and then walk up to the huge memorial to them at the state house and look at it for a minute and challenge yourself not to cry.

It's a good walking city. It might not be as good a driving city for an out of towner. He he he.