Author Topic: Woj: Klay Thompson has suffered a torn ACL  (Read 8364 times)

Re: Woj: Klay Thompson has suffered a torn ACL
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just feel awful for him. They really looked like they were going to gut out the home win and force a game 7 with how well he was playing.

Yeah, certainly seemed that way.  He was carrying the team on his back.

30 points on 12 shots! Brilliant performance cut short.

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
End of the dynasty.  Golden opportunity for the rest of the league
Not necessarily.  KD looked like he was gone.  Now he may be back.  They just need to get some injury protection in his contract.  Assuming he comes back and shows he's reasonably recovered, they could get a nice return by trading him. 

Klay's ACL injury is not really concerning.  Recovering from ACLs is common place now Klay shouldn't be affected as much as other players whose game depends on their athleticism. 

Taking a step back for a year and ending in the lottery isn't a bad thing.  Gives them an opportunity to get some new blood in who might extend their dynasty.

If thy max out both Clay and KD watch the lottery give them the #1 pick. It reminds me of when David Robinson was hurt and San Antonio sucked then got Duncan. 

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
End of the dynasty.  Golden opportunity for the rest of the league
Not necessarily.  KD looked like he was gone.  Now he may be back.  They just need to get some injury protection in his contract.  Assuming he comes back and shows he's reasonably recovered, they could get a nice return by trading him. 

Klay's ACL injury is not really concerning.  Recovering from ACLs is common place now Klay shouldn't be affected as much as other players whose game depends on their athleticism. 

Taking a step back for a year and ending in the lottery isn't a bad thing.  Gives them an opportunity to get some new blood in who might extend their dynasty.

This is all idealistic thinking.  Typical of these forums though lol.  KLAY and Durant if he stays will be two years older and coming off injuries.  Other teams will have improved and their young players will have improved.  They had another two year run in them maybe.  This solidifies the end imo.  And no draft pick is gonna help them next year or the year after.

The other thing is that if KD opts in and they max out Klay, the Warriors will have to pay a huge luxury tax bill next year for a team that probably is going to miss the playoffs - all in hopes that both guys will come back the year after that ready to play at a high level.  And don't forget - KD will be a UFA at the end of next year.
GSW probably has insurance that will cover most of the salary cost if KD and/or Klay miss next season.  GSW is not hurting for money.  I wasn't talking about KD opting in. 
I was talking about giving KD the Max but having some injury protection like the Sixers did with Embiid. 

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Insurance will not cover Klay or KD because they are going to sign new contracts. Those new contracts will be un insurable for the group plan that the NBA uses.

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What's with the warriors medical staff? They allowed Klay to go back out and shoot the free throws and play 1 more full court play AFTER he Got hurt

This is after the whole KD debacle of bringing KD back to soon, and cousins tearing his quad in the 1st round...

https://youtu.be/oF_zSEbNL0c

At that point they did not know how bad the injury was, and they just wanted him to shoot the free throws and get out of there so that he would remain eligible for the rest of the game.

When Rondo tore his ACL he played an entire overtime period on it.

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup it makes me extra grateful that Cousins intentionally fouled even though they were in the penalty to get him off the court. Some of the players were trying to setup some sort of zone to play it out till a stoppage....

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2019, 07:18:26 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Yup it makes me extra grateful that Cousins intentionally fouled even though they were in the penalty to get him off the court. Some of the players were trying to setup some sort of zone to play it out till a stoppage....

Yes, very mature action by Cousins.

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
In a move that should surprise no-one, Klay is set to re-sign with the Dubs.

https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/1139597647856037888
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22:14 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
What's with the warriors medical staff? They allowed Klay to go back out and shoot the free throws and play 1 more full court play AFTER he Got hurt

This is after the whole KD debacle of bringing KD back to soon, and cousins tearing his quad in the 1st round...

https://youtu.be/oF_zSEbNL0c

At that point they did not know how bad the injury was, and they just wanted him to shoot the free throws and get out of there so that he would remain eligible for the rest of the game.

When Rondo tore his ACL he played an entire overtime period on it.

I think it varies by individual how fast it affects you...I know when I tore my meniscus surfing I didn't really feel it for a couple of hours and then it started swelling and hurting like a mothereffer.

Apparently with Klay it's when he was back in the locker room that it swelled up and really hurting.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2019, 10:32:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Call it a fitting end or poetic justice for the Warriors dynasty.

They benefitted from facing an Irving-less and Love-less Cavs in 2015.
They played dirty injuring Kawhi Leonard in 2017.
They got lucky the Celtics were without Irving and Hayward in 2018.

All their guys minus Curry went down with brutal/nagging injuries.

I never want to see anyone get hurt, and the Warriors certainly are an excellent team, but they've also been exceedingly fortunate the four seasons prior to this one, with no major injuries to any key players. Same for LeBron before this season. In the meantime, just about every other team, including Boston more than once, had to adjust after significant injuries to important players. Looks like they're finally paying the piper.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think it sucks and it's bad for the league.

Like him or not, Klay is one of those guys you can't help but admire. Probably the best two-way guard in the league and one of the best scorers you'll ever see.

Ditto for Durant. Same thing went Hayward went down.

First you feel bad for the person. Secondly, you realize as a basketball fan (regardless of who you root for) that it's a big loss for the league.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority but I've never once disliked the Warriors. I sure would've liked to see the Celts knock them off their throne, but it's such a well run franchise and you can't help but like guys like Steph and Klay.

Only guy on the Warriors I've never really cared for is Draymond. Management does deserve a TON of criticism however for how they handled Durant's injury.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:13:29 AM by gpap »

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2019, 11:51:55 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think it sucks and it's bad for the league.

Like him or not, Klay is one of those guys you can't help but admire. Probably the best two-way guard in the league and one of the best scorers you'll ever see.

Ditto for Durant. Same thing went Hayward went down.

First you feel bad for the person. Secondly, you realize as a basketball fan (regardless of who you root for) that it's a big loss for the league.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority but I've never once disliked the Warriors. I sure would've liked to see the Celts knock them off their throne, but it's such a well run franchise and you can't help but like guys like Steph and Klay.

Only guy on the Warriors I've never really cared for is Draymond. Management does deserve a TON of criticism however for how they handled both Thompson and Durant's injuries.

I absolutely do not like Curry. I used to, but then he got super cocky and started shimmying all around the court. Now I can't stand him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis