Author Topic: Marcus Smart as a small forward?  (Read 6977 times)

Marcus Smart as a small forward?
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I know it will sound wacky to some, but I would not be surprised if Marcus Smart becomes a player who can be effective at the three position with some time.  I'm not advocating playing him there full-time necessarily, but I do suspect that his strength and toughness will allow him to pester bigger, taller players at small forward, much like Tony Allen does.  I think he'll be able to guard all three wing positions as a defensive stopper but with much better offense than TA. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Marcus Smart as a small forward?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I know it will sound wacky to some, but I would not be surprised if Marcus Smart becomes a player who can be effective at the three position with some time.  I'm not advocating playing him there full-time necessarily, but I do suspect that his strength and toughness will allow him to pester bigger, taller players at small forward, much like Tony Allen does.  I think he'll be able to guard all three wing positions as a defensive stopper but with much better offense than TA.

Well, if Doc was still our coach then Smart at SF would be virtually a guarantee.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think that is a great idea for long periods of time.

As a quick change-up on short occasions against the right SF, sure.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he could only guard perimeter guys.  I think a guy like LeBron or Melo could easily post him up.   But as far as him challenging them off the dribble, I think he would be fine.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I wish people would stop trying to compare nobodies like Lance Stephenson or Marcus Smart to the defensive genius of Tony Allen.

TA and Iguodala are the only two players in the league who can guard any 1-3 on a consistent basis.  The chances of Smart reaching that level are astronomical.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I wish people would stop trying to compare nobodies like Lance Stephenson or Marcus Smart to the defensive genius of Tony Allen.

TA and Iguodala are the only two players in the league who can guard any 1-3 on a consistent basis.  The chances of Smart reaching that level are astronomical.

Well there is also Lebron who can guard 5 positions.

No, I don't think he is going to reach that level defensively because of his height. 

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

George, Leonard, James?

As for the idea of Smart at the 3, I don't know. Maybe for short periods if the other team goes small.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He'd of course be better than Jeff Green, but asking Smart to play small forward is asking a lot.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo on smart

I think having a guy on the wing that will defend along with Avery and myself, and has a lot more size and strength, that will be big."

Sounds like rondo agrees with you

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm inclined to agree with the people who say 'short periods of time in the right matchup.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He guarded 4 positions in college, so it isn't totally unreasonable to think that he can guard 3 in the NBA. There will be some 3's he can guard, some he can't. I don't see him guarding a guy like LeBron or Melo though. LeBron would post him up, Melo would school him from midrange.

That said, he can have a big impact without necessarily guarding the best opposing player. He can play the passing lanes and provide help D. And plus, there's way more teams now who lean on their PG's to create offense than there are that rely on their wing players.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Well there is also Lebron who can guard 5 positions.

No, I don't think he is going to reach that level defensively because of his height.
LeBron CAN guard 1s and 5s, but not as well as Tony and Iggy guard 1s.  How many times has he even done it?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart is a rookie guard that hasn't played an NBA game yet. I think I would want him concentrating on learning the intracacies of playing PG and SG before we start experimenting on throwing him out there as a severely undersized SF right now.

C's have Green, Turner and Wallace to play SF right now. There is zero need to have the rook trying to learn three positions. It just makes little sense unless the opposition goes to a small ball/3 guard lineup.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Stevens said in the press conference he will guard some 3s but let's let him play some games to find out what he can do before we add on things we don't need him to do.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Once his on-court savvy starts to match his physical gifts, I could definitely see him checking small forwards, at least for short stretches.