Author Topic: Rozier S&T complete: C's Receive 2nd round pick  (Read 4664 times)

Rozier S&T complete: C's Receive 2nd round pick
« on: July 09, 2019, 09:49:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
In addition to swapping Walker for Rozier, Charlotte has received a protected 2020 second-round pick and sent a 2020 second-rounder to Boston. The pick going to the Celtics is coming from the Knicks or Nets through the Magic

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/1147686109444337664

Here's to hoping its the knicks pick

Re: Rozier S&T complete: C's Receive 2nd round pick
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 09:50:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In addition to swapping Walker for Rozier, Charlotte has received a protected 2020 second-round pick and sent a 2020 second-rounder to Boston. The pick going to the Celtics is coming from the Knicks or Nets through the Magic

It's the worse of the two picks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:51:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Didn't this happen like three days ago? lol

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 01:09:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Glad it's over. We can move on.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 01:09:43 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Wait, so making Kemba a sign and trade means we didn't need to renounce our own guys and could re-sign Theis, right? That's the primary benefit?

Also, it got Rozier to a "safe," go-nowhere location where he won't come back to haunt us.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 01:18:35 AM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
2020 second round draft pick to Charlotte

Boston's 2020 2nd round pick to Charlotte protected for selections 31-53 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Charlotte will be extinguished) [Boston-Charlotte, 7/6/2019]

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:15 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Boston's 2020 2nd round pick to Charlotte protected for selections 31-53 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Charlotte will be extinguished) [Boston-Charlotte, 7/6/2019]

Right, so it's likely we're getting the Nets pick. And we probably won't finish top 8 in the league record-wise. Even if we do, it wouldn't be a very valuable pick, though of course the possibility exists we place BEHIND the Nets in record and finish in the top 8, in which case the Hornets get a better pick than we do.

That's why I was saying the primary benefit is allowing us to keep our free agents.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 01:52:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Right, so it's likely we're getting the Nets pick. And we probably won't finish top 8 in the league record-wise. Even if we do, it wouldn't be a very valuable pick, though of course the possibility exists we place BEHIND the Nets in record and finish in the top 8, in which case the Hornets get a better pick than we do.

That's why I was saying the primary benefit is allowing us to keep our free agents.

No.  We used cap space to complete the trade, as Rozier’s salary didn’t match Kemba’s.  It had no bearing on our ability to keep Theis/anything else we did (although when the trade was originally negotiated with Charlotte it left open the possibility of negotiating something with Brooklyn or Philly that would have allowed us to maintain other Bird rights and/or get access to the full MLE.)

The primary benefit is that we get a pick. There is a smaller possibility that we merely swap picks, and an even smaller possibility that it’s a negative swap (our pick falls outside of the protected range and we finish behind Brooklyn in the standings).  That is highly unlikely with KD out probably all year.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
We needed cap space to complete the trade, that makes sense.  Signing Rozier put us over the cap but we did not need to renounce cap holds to sign him over the cap.  We must have had enough cap space to absorb Walker's salary while still signing Theis.

We got a 2nd round pick out of this (sort of) but the real advantage was for Charlotte.  They get a trade exception from the trade I think (although this is not listed on Spotrac). Plus, I don't think they could have signed Rozier without the S&T.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Disappointed to find out it is 53 and not 55 protected. I think it is possible we finish in the top 7 in the league with the West teams beating each other up. I guess a pick that late doesn't hold much value regardless, but surprised a deal was made where it is conceivably possible we actually get a worse 2nd round pick than CHA.

I do get the good will part of the deal, though, and would like to see more teams continue to do S&Ts moving forward (and they absolutely have this off-season!). Teams losing All-Star FAs for absolutely nothing is just not a fair practice in the NBA. It's too bad about being hard-capped, but this isn't necessarily common anyway.

Also, just to echo SL - there was no benefit whatsoever to us doing this deal financially. We had enough money for Kemba and Theis. This was 1st done for the possibility of keeping Horford and when that didn't pan out, there was no reason not to let CHA have Rozier.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:53:01 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We got a small pick (its not worth much but can be used for touch rule purposes which isn't nothing), kept open the option of a Horford/Kyrie S&T to enable us to use the MLE, and we got Rozier paid which will make him and his agent happy.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I guess the point of the S&T was to hope for a triple S&T with Charlotte AND Brooklyn, but once the latter’s asking price was too high, they were out. Boston simply didn’t want to renege (maybe it helped Charlotte?), hence why they are swapping second-rounders.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

It's the worse of the two picks.
Then here's hoping it's the Nets' pick.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Even late 2nds are valuable. We should look no further than what this pick did for Charlotte. Granted I think they lose out because who they got is Rozier, but it made them possible to land someone thru S&T even with their cap space because they have a pick like this to give away.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I'm honestly surprised that the compensation was so low.

Boston didn't need to participate in the double sign-and-trade with Charlotte in order to sign Kemba Walker and still keep the rights to Theis. The whole trade was a gift to Charlotte, who couldn't have signed Rozier otherwise. Boston got no benefit from this.

I guess it's better to get something for Rozier than nothing at all, but this doesn't make sense.